The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I made funk covers of Nintendo tunes!
Old 28th June 2005
Here for the gear

I made funk covers of Nintendo tunes!

Hey,

Just wanted to see if anyone would be interested in hearing my new "album", of rearranged Nintendo (NES/8-bit) songs, all played on guitar, bass, keyboards (softsynts with Rhodes, Hammond, clavinet and other sounds) sampled drums, etc. They're all played in a sort of '70s funk/rock/blaxploitation style ... Would be awesome to hear what you think of it, both musically and production-wise. Thanks in advance!

"Nintendosploitation"

P.S. I didn't attach any mp3s to this thread -- let me know if you prefer to have a specific song addressed, and I can do so. I can of course tell you more about the creation/production/gear behind these songs, but for now I'll just see if there's any interest in them. Thanks again!
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

I like it!
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Nut

nice

I like the concept - like a nintendo rock opera...

as for the mix and the tracks:

some tracks looked crushed ... levels may have been too hot at rec time or at mix there is no way for me to know... therefore things tend to clip often... If you the clips are on purpose to get warmer 70 sound try seperate them a little and give your self some more headroom, and we will be able to everything a little clearer. Some tracks are cleaner than others.

Aside from that it's pretty cool .... but I would like to hear some more Analog sounds either from the soft sythns (Sweeden makes some of the best Analog Mod. Synths around... borrow a Clavia from a friend and go for it ),

That's abou it really everything else subjective to the point of it being a matter of taste and voodoo.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

sounds a little like Frank Zappa. The guitars sounds good. what kind of guitar setup (delays, distortions, amps) are you using?
Old 28th June 2005
Here for the gear

Thanks for your responses -- I'm glad you liked it!

zabour -- The tracks may very well be clipping a bit at certain places. I try to avoid it by monitoring the waves and VUs, but overall my production is done pretty rough and bare bones Iggy Pop-style, trying to squeeze as much juice out of the instruments as possible, which isn't really the easiest or best thing to do with so much digital equipment (i.e. computer software)... I'm finished and 95% satisfied with the album, so I'll probably leave it at where it is, but thanks for the input!

wallace -- The guitars are mainly a Mexican '72 Tele Custom reissue (with better pickups) and a stock Hamer Archtop Studio with humbuckers. The amps I've built myself -- a '55 Fender Tremolux clone (15 watts) and an AX84 "P1" (8 watts, see www.ax84.com), both through the 4-10" cab of an old Ampeg VT40 which I otherwise used for the bass. All miked with an SM57. The only outboard effect was a '76 Colorsound wah-wah. I have some distortion pedals but rarely use them. This time it's just pure and simple power section overdrive -- the single volume knob anywhere between 4 and 10... I used the P1 amp on most guitar and keyboard tracks, and it is suitably bright and raw but has a very smooth Marshallesque overdrive with lots of range between clean and max distortion, so it's nice for recording.

The other effects are all software -- either the built in effects in Adobe Audition (where I recorded everything) or VST plugins. The reverb and delay/echo are all from Audition, and I actually like them a lot. For some reason though, their flanger sounds great while the phaser sucks (IMHO), so I used the flanger (on a couple of instrument tracks, mostly on songs 3 and 11), but Kjaerhus' free Classic Phaser (on two tracks, like the rhythm guitar on track 5). That's about it. There's a leslie VST effect (mda) on the Rhodes piano soundfont on track 9 too... Nothing spectacular anywhere. I've got some nice guitar gear, but my recording equipment/software is pretty cheap.
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Head

Nintendo Trax

Cool and ambitious idea, couldnt hear well through my powerbook speakers that im on because im travelling, but i like the concept and sounded cool from what i heard

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search