The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
extremely budgeted demo
Old 27th June 2005
Here for the gear

extremely budgeted demo

i've been a lurker for sometime now, but i figured it was time to join the fray.

before even listening to the song, bear in mind that it was recorded with the studio equivalent of a tin can and a cassette deck from a 1989 mercury grand marquis. ok not that pathetic, but it was recorded with a set of nady drum mics, a 3rd world LTO S-8 mixing console, and an M-Audio interface to my laptop. for the drums (the worst part of the mix sonically i think, mostly because it had to go through my mixer into a stereo image into my laptop - i was only able to use a minimal EQ within the small mixer and whatever I could change on the recorded stereo image. oh, and there was a open ended cardboard box in front of the kick to give it a thump.) The rhythm guitarist had his tone all screwed up (strapping young lad with ideas of destroying all MID in his tone for a horrendous crunch), and I tried to EQ it all to hell in my laptop.

Anyhoo, i did this pretty much to test out the equipment that i had just purchased to make sure it worked properly. It was my younger brothers band, and they wanted something to sell to people at shows. (they are quite young, actually, and the audience they are catering too isn't exactly out there for pleasing aural sensations. [read: the death metal youth of today]).

I'm going to go back and redo the songs i recorded with them when my 8 track DAW finally arrives, maybe then I can attempt to do the drums some sort of decent justice. Give a listen - would anyone have done anything differently with due respect to the extremely low resources at hand? I'm a student of recording technology and I've just been starting out recording local bands for peanuts, and this was the first real recording i ever did on my own.
Attached Files

Caladrius - Indiana.mp3 (3.94 MB, 160 views)

Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

Ha ha ha this is brilliant!
Old 28th June 2005
Here for the gear

brilliant like sliced bread or brilliant like it should never had existed lol
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

The biggest thing for me is that I can't understand a word either vocalist is saying. I don't know how much of that was your fault though.... Lots people will go and say that that's ok in this type of music or some will go as far as to say that it is desirable, but I don't buy it. I think if it is vocal music with lyrics then the lyrics should be intelligible, and if I am engineering I strive to do just that.

Second, cut that slop off the end. Nothing sounds less professional than that to me. There is a local guy here who records and all his recordings have stray noises at the beginings and ends when he gives them to the client. I was shocked when I heard his work. Of course, in this instance, maybe you left it for our enjoyment... ...but I'd say cut it for the final version.

There is excess low bass that I would trim off of this track, and adding some extra highs(like above 10k) wouldn't hurt either

As far as the rhythm guitarist, as the engineer you should explain to him that what sounds good live isn't always what sounds best recorded, and have him adjust his amp controls accordingly. I bet if he heard a snippet with his tone and with the adjusted tone, he'd be convinced.

A word to the band: I kept waiting for the song to start. They do some cool stuff in there but it seems more like a jam to me.

An interesting thing is that this band sounds amazingly similar to one of the local bands here. I suppose there must be some popular band they are all emulating but I am not familiar with it. I heard a recording the band here had done and I kinda liked the song, but I can't stand that I can't make out but a few words and sing along!

Thanks.
Old 28th June 2005
Lives for gear

i have a big smile on my face.
like it, how the "singer" cleans his throat.
Old 28th June 2005
Here for the gear

@eyesore: thanks a bunch for the suggestions.

as to not being able to understand the vocalist, yea that pretty much sums up every local band around the area. It's currently the "cool" thing to sound like a dinosaur with the flu, everyone around here wants to sound like "Lamb of God" and "Chimaira". I find it personally hilarious when locals try and debate what screamers are better than others, it all sounds the same to me. Actually, when talking to others about the lyrics and the vocals, they tell me half the time the singer is making it up on the spot.

about the **** at the end: oh yea no doubt it reeks of unprofessionalism. As I was doing it absolutely free as a favor to a friend and brother, I was pretty much in a robot-esque mode when I was mixing and editing. Because it was the first band I ever recorded by myself, I was continuously going "sound good? *mix mix* sound good? *mix mix* keep it in? *mix mix*." For the most part totally neglecting my own opinions in lieu of what the band wanted. (which is always a huge mistake, as evident here...)

As I've learned from subsequent recording projects, and maybe I can actually give some advice from my small amount of experience to other people here, NEVER invite the whole or members of the band to witness the entire mixing process. Especially if it's their first time recording, they almost always get a "green" high from hearing themselves on tape, and will almost always overcompensate when you try to mix. It comes out overly exaggerated.

Actually I enlisted the help of another guitarist friend of mine to help me convince the rhythm guitarist to change up his tone afterwards, figuring he might not just take my word that it needed to be changed. They're all very young kids, most unable to even drive at the moment. I feel they have the talent to go places, but they're gonna have to work on making songs and not 6 minute long intros, solos, and breakdowns and calling them songs. Of course, again I suppose it's the "popular" thing to do...

so being as they've got around and mildy used to recording now, I'm going to go back and do some proper sessions, no mediocre freebies. when it's done or close to i will post a song, if nothing else than to see a huge difference between the two.

thanks a bunch erryone...

-Trev
Old 28th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
but they're gonna have to work on making songs and not 6 minute long intros, solos, and breakdowns and calling them songs. Of course, again I suppose it's the "popular" thing to do...
One thing that I didn't make clear is that that band here I was comparing them to does make 'songs', as do the other bands I have heard here.

Quote:
everyone around here wants to sound like "Lamb of God" and "Chimaira".
Well, I guess we know what I'm listening to tonight...
Old 30th June 2005
Lives for gear

man...

not even Jesus can save this recording!

sorry man you can't polish a turd.

Good luck next time

Jason
Old 2nd July 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyesore
Quote:
everyone around here wants to sound like "Lamb of God" and "Chimaira".

Well, I guess we know what I'm listening to tonight...
I listened to both these bands some today and in both cases the vocals are pretty intelligible, especially for Lamb of God. Stylistically, Lamb Of God didn't use the high screechy kind of vocals at all but Chimaira does use dual vocal styles some and this band sounded a little closer to your brother's band, but still quite different. Actually, the 'gremlin' like dude in your brother's band has a cooler vocal sound than the Chimaira dude IMHO - it just needs to be intelligible.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search