The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
"Two Inch Chick" by Faceless
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

"Two Inch Chick" by Faceless

I'd appreciate any comments on this mix. It is just a verse and chorus - not the full song. The full song begins with a faster tempo intro and also has a contrasting 'faster' feel part in the middle and end. I decided to just do this much as a test. I did do some things differently than I would have 'normally'(what am I talking about - every recording I do is an experiment in some way). If this approach isn't working for people, we'll try recording it differently. Actually I may try another approach and see how it compares anyway. It's a pretty simple song. If I can't get something this simple right, then...

I edited out the words that I thought some people might find offensive.

Thanks.
Attached Files

2 inch edit.mp3 (789.2 KB, 615 views)

Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

hi eyesore,

I'm guessing you didn't write the song, right?

I think I would have preferred a warning and then to have heard all the words. Giving the singer full benefit of the doubt, I'm imagining a self-deprecating lad who verbally winks at the audience letting us know that his hyper-exaggerated hyper-masculine cave-man vocal is there to compensate for his unusually small (2") genitalia. Or perhaps he's just a sexist pig :-)

As for the mix, the vocal seems to be pretty much what this style of music calls for. For the guitar, I didn't get the sense of a Stack O' Marshalls chugging away. (However I only had a chance to listen on a pair of KEFs so far.) The guitar sound was fine with me, but I'm not in that demographic. Having done live sound gigs where the guitar amp was so loud it wasn't even in the mix, I say the further back the better (and you punks stay off my lawn too!). But the kidz may want a little more guitar (and you know the guitar player's girlfriend will :-)

best,

John
Old 27th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabney
I think I would have preferred a warning and then to have heard all the words
Sorry, I wasn't sure what the policy was around here and I didn't want to get kicked out yet. heh I personally find none of it offensive, and if it were entirely up to me, I would have posted it unedited and without warning. I consulted the band and some associates and asked their opinion and we decided to try it this way. The band did perform an edited version at one venue to make the band hosting the show happy(actually the other band didn't want the song played at all)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabney
Or perhaps he's just a sexist pig
I don't follow you here...

I was really tempted, but I'll address the other issues after we get more posts. I don't want to bias people.

Thanks.
Old 27th June 2005
Lives for gear

hi eyesore,

You left off the :-) when you quoted me the second time. I was attempting a contrast to my attempt at satirizing a certain style of rock critique earlier in the paragraph. (You know, stuff like, "Mr. Loaf enchanted the crowd with ....") Since I couldn't make out all the words, I went with my impression which was that the singer was referring to a vagina that he planned on or hoped to be occupying at some point.

Just my luck it will turn out to be an Easter song sung from a little gothic kids point of view where he hopes for a death match between his baby duck and the neighbor kid's 2" chick. See what happens when the listener is left to fill-in the blanks :-) I'm not referring so much to the censored words as to the over-all vocal style - which this type of music calls for. Articulation would not be a virtue. The risk is that the listener will misinterpret, but that's part of the fun.

best,

John
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I just threw up in my mouth a little.
I can't help but cringe when he does the caveman elongated grunt before the chorus! What the hell?! Honestly.............................Do you really think this band is worth your time? I'm being serious. Do you think this is a good song?

on another note, everything sounds good on your end. The guitars are pretty sweet sounding, and the drums are ok. The vocals are clear, probably because it sounds like he's passing a stone as he's singing.

Couldn't help myself. Sorry

You're work is good though. Kudos!
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavid15
Do you think this is a good song?
What don't you like about it? (besides the vocals I guess that you already pointed out)
Old 29th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I'm referring specifically to the vocals. I think the instrumentation is good, but all joking aside, the vocals really are unpleasant. They ruin all your hard work. I wouldn't take time with a band like this until they got a new singer. Do they like his sound, or do they just feel bad kicking him out?
Old 10th July 2005
Gear Addict

Here's what Brad Blackwood wrote to me in a pm when I asked him what this mix would need before mastering:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Blackwood
I'd recommend thickening the gtrs a bit, they sound somewhat thiin right now, other than that, I think it's good, ready to roll...
I'd appreciate some more comments on this mix and song, and then I'll address some of the things that have been said. Comments like those above about the song itself and the performance are welcome too.

Thanks.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

It's a good mix.
I think you have done well for the type of instrumentation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djavid15
I'm referring specifically to the vocals. I think the instrumentation is good, but all joking aside, the vocals really are unpleasant. They ruin all your hard work. I wouldn't take time with a band like this until they got a new singer. Do they like his sound, or do they just feel bad kicking him out?

Thank goodness we all get to make our own choices in life innit...? Or we may never reach for higher places... New singer? Why? Oh' wait, nevermind...It actually makes no difference at all... It's not your band...or your project.

Goodbye.
Old 11th July 2005
Lives for gear

kick is too clicky, weak and just not sitting right in the mix. Same with Toms.

Snare is ok sounding but too consistent (sampled I imagined?) Try opening up the dynamics of each hit.

These are programmed drums right? Try making them sound not so consistent.
http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/oct9...les/20tips.htm Some tips for you.

Guitars, weak and thin. Retrack them. Get a better performance, and that little fill (with the squeal) has to go or be more solid when playing it.

Bass, it's too bumpy, muddy (could be my speakers but I hear too much 150-200HZ going on... kill that and try 100 or even 80hz)... give it life in the 1.5 - 2k region.

Vocals, asides from them sounding like the cookie monster (I had to say it) needs to be controled a little more. Dynamically it's going up and down. same when the backup comes in.

Good Luck,

Mastering should be put aside until these are fixed.

Jason
Old 11th July 2005
Gear Maniac

I wasn't telling him what to do. I guess you didn't see the "I WOULDN'T" before that comment. It was clearly my opinion. I was commending his work and talent, but at the same time, pointing out that I think his work supercedes their talent, and that he is wasting his time, but if it pays the bills, more power to ya!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search