The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
tracking help 2 - choir in church
Old 21st June 2005
Gear Addict

tracking help 2 - choir in church

Here is a really short stereo recording of a choir done in that same church.

I guess I want to know what unfavorable sound of possibly the room that I picked up and what to do to avoid it in the future.

The first clip is the original recording and the second is a recording of that recording burnt onto a CD and distorting the speakers of a little CD player.

Any comments on the phase relationship between the two microphones may be helpful as well.

Any other comments on the tracking are also welcome.

Thanks.
Attached Files

not just 12 choir in.mp3 (51.0 KB, 1414 views)

not just 12 distortion 2.wav (531.9 KB, 1990 views)

Old 28th February 2006
Gear Addict

Anyone?
Old 28th February 2006
Lives for gear

I need to hear something a bit longer in length to give a valid opinion. What is the problem you're trying to deal with? From the short clip I heard it sounds a little too close mic'd.
Old 11th July 2006
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthdude
I agree with him too. I would like to hear a longer one too, I don't really understand but, it seems from what I heard that it's to airy or top heavy ( miked to close, needs more low end or body). may be a phase thing, not fimlar ith your setup.
Well, that's the whole part. It's the intro to a pop punk/pop rock type song that plays off the Christmas carol they are singing part of in the clip.

The setup was two pretty flat omni SDC's spaced a bit more than ear width apart and maybe 8 feet up probably equal with the first pew to sort of mimmick a listener in that location except I stuck the mics higher to get more distance from the floor since I had such a high ceiling to work with. The choir was situated on the steps leading up to the altar.

What am I asking about? Well, did you guys listen to the second clip? I am not an expert on ambience. What is that 'chirpy' sound in there and what is causing that CD player to distort so badly? Is that just the way the room sounded and I didn't realize it? Or do I simply not actually like what a chpir sounds like in a church like I thought I did? -even if that's the case, why does that player distort?

Is there anything else I did wrong? Will I be able to use this in the song or will I have to find another choir and track it again?

I am attaching a .wav file this time to rule out mp3 artifacts. I'm not sure why I had an mp3 before.... Also that clip before may have included an additional two mono takes panned to each side. This new one is just the one stereo pair with each mic panned to either side.

Thanks.
Attached Files

Not Just 12 intro stereo only.wav (1.84 MB, 1220 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search