The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
New Melodic Metal Mix
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

New Melodic Metal Mix

Hi Guys—
I was wondering if you’d take a listen to my new mix and let me know what you think. Warning, it’s full-on bombastic power metal, so if you dislike things like huge choruses, long songs or reverb on snares then you might want to stay away, haha! heh Seriously though, I’m the vocalist/guitarist for a band called Theocracy and this is just a simple midtempo track called “The Writing in the Sand” from our second album, which we’re recording at the moment. We had to finish and mix this one first because it’s also going on a compilation CD.

Be nice, I’m only a semi-professional musician so my studio setup isn’t too elaborate. I do love the production side of things, as it goes hand-in-hand with the rest of it for me since I started out recording myself on a 4-track and have been recording my own stuff ever since. The songwriting is my main passion, but I’ve really worked my butt off over the last couple years (since our first album) to learn as much as I can and improve my production/mixing skills, and I owe so much to guys like Michael, Andy Sneap, etc. for always helping me out with answers to my annoying questions. However, despite my hard work at trying to improve, I’m still a novice at all this and I’m still learning so much every day. So please don’t expect too much on the production front…I’m getting better, but I still have SO far to go, and I submit this very humbly for you pros to opine on.

I certainly appreciate your listening, and if you like melodic metal I hope you’ll dig it. Anyway, you can check it out here.

Thanks guys and take care!

Matt Smith
www.theocracymusic.com
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Great Dennis DeYoung vocal vibe! Nice singing..really love the 70's Styx meets Zeno Roth, meets Queensryche power vocals.

Seriously, haven't heard that tone in a singer in a long time. I am producing an 70's - 80's style rock artist right now. Great fun.

Mix opinions:

Lead vocal: Considerably too low and dry...

Guitars: Too hot and too wideBTW...have you checked this in mono? Guitars go bye-bye in the end...gone.

Kick drum: too loud , too much clack

Snare drum: too much sizzle.

Production opinions...(too many!!)

Great work, cool band. Keep it up.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

Thanks!
I did check in mono periodically as I was going, but I didn't notice that. I wonder why the guitars disappear? It's just two tracks, hard panned left and right, 2 different takes of course. I didn't do anything weird like duplicate tracks or put any delays on. I'll check it tonight, thanks for the heads-up.

Matt Smith
www.theocracymusic.com
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Smith
Thanks!
I did check in mono periodically as I was going, but I didn't notice that. I wonder why the guitars disappear? It's just two tracks, hard panned left and right, 2 different takes of course. I didn't do anything weird like duplicate tracks or put any delays on. I'll check it tonight, thanks for the heads-up.

Matt Smith
www.theocracymusic.com
Hey bro, they ain't gone completely but they lose any power they have. Good guitar tones just consider tightening the span. Guaranteed this will be heard in mono...alot!

P&B,
Old 22nd June 2005
Here for the gear

Hey Matt.. I think it sounds really good.. I especially like the vocals..
At times, I hear a little" Stryper" vibe goin on..They were one of my favorites..
Anyway, keep up the good work and good luck!!

Oh..and weren't you the one that did the Metallica spoof awhile back??

Kevin
Old 22nd June 2005
Lives for gear

I was just going to say that.....Sounds like To Hell with the Devil (The album not just the song) a bit...
I hear allot of Stryper on this... Doesn't sound bad..

What did you record in?
Old 23rd June 2005
Gear Maniac

Stryper's actually not an influence at all, but I've gotten that before, I guess because of the whole Christian Metal thing and also because my voice is supposedly similar in some ways. Most of our stuff is a lot faster than this though, this is kinda the midtempo track of the album.

It was recorded in Nuendo. Thanks for listening/commenting guys, I was thinking, "Wow, everybody must REALLY think this sucks."

Matt Smith
www.theocracymusic.com

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search