Jam Band...

Any thoughts on this mix?

Thanks!
Rob

Still What You Will
Old 19th June 2005
Lives for gear

My 2 Cents

First of all let me say that this band is pretty cool very Phishy. Now for the mix...

I don't think it's a horrible mix but there is certainly room for improvement. It would be nice if there was more overall definition and separation from each individual instrument. Listen to some of the Steely Dan recordings; see how you can pick out each instrument clearly, that's what I'm talking about. You don't have to go for the same sound though, in fact in can have that big reverberated sound of Phish, Billy Breaths. Second, you should really find a way to bring out the bass it is lost in this mix. Third, the snare drum sounds like it needs more snap to it, it sounds really muddy. I would turn down the vocals some, they stand out a little too much. Also, the lead guitar during most of the beginning of the song has a nice tone and reverb but is a little too up front. The lead guitar towards the end of the song around 4:17 doesn't sound good to me, poor tone and is way too loud. Ok, that's my 2 cents I hope that it helps.

bcgood
Old 19th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood
First of all let me say that this band is pretty cool very Phishy. Now for the mix...

I don't think it's a horrible mix but there is certainly room for improvement. It would be nice if there was more overall definition and separation from each individual instrument. Listen to some of the Steely Dan recordings; see how you can pick out each instrument clearly, that's what I'm talking about. You don't have to go for the same sound though, in fact in can have that big reverberated sound of Phish, Billy Breaths. Second, you should really find a way to bring out the bass it is lost in this mix. Third, the snare drum sounds like it needs more snap to it, it sounds really muddy. I would turn down the vocals some, they stand out a little too much. Also, the lead guitar during most of the beginning of the song has a nice tone and reverb but is a little too up front. The lead guitar towards the end of the song around 4:17 doesn't sound good to me, poor tone and is way too loud. Ok, that's my 2 cents I hope that it helps.

bcgood
Thanks for listening. I'm going to dig up some good reference material, and see if I can ajust per your suggestions... I'll post back my changes.

Thanks again,
Rob
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Updated Mix with the bcgood suggestions...

Still What You Will Remix

I'm going to write mixed by committee heh
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

bcgood master

I couldn't hear a whole lot of difference between the two mp3's so I got in there and tweeked with it myself... To my ears this bcgood remaster is a little easier on my ears. Let me know what you think brother man.

bcgood
Old 20th June 2005
Nut
Gear Nut

It feels really small... a lot smaller than it should be. How much has it been limited ? The low mids are really overwhelming... The bass guitar is a boomy, muddy, indefined lump in the background.

Bad points out of the way, i'll start on the good bits !

I love the cruisy drum sound, there should be more of it around, though the snare seems a little lost at time, and kick is not as big as it could be. The lead guitar tone is good, if a little loud at times. Im not so keen on the overdriven tone though, it is a little in your face. The relaxed vocals sit nicely most of the time, but they could be a little more compressed and present in the mix.

Tips ?

Uhh... watch the wachy reverb. Try a predelay (around 50-60ms) and a shorter tail to give the illusion of space without filling the mix with 'verb. This should help bring out the bass guitar and stop masking the vocals in sections. That, and post an 'un-mastered' version so we can listen to the mix properly. Leave the mastering to those in the know.
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

ummm

I wasn't able to post my "re-master" so I think you might not be in the know...

bcgood
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nut
It feels really small... a lot smaller than it should be. How much has it been limited ? The low mids are really overwhelming... The bass guitar is a boomy, muddy, indefined lump in the background.

Bad points out of the way, i'll start on the good bits !

I love the cruisy drum sound, there should be more of it around, though the snare seems a little lost at time, and kick is not as big as it could be. The lead guitar tone is good, if a little loud at times. Im not so keen on the overdriven tone though, it is a little in your face. The relaxed vocals sit nicely most of the time, but they could be a little more compressed and present in the mix.

Tips ?

Uhh... watch the wachy reverb. Try a predelay (around 50-60ms) and a shorter tail to give the illusion of space without filling the mix with 'verb. This should help bring out the bass guitar and stop masking the vocals in sections. That, and post an 'un-mastered' version so we can listen to the mix properly. Leave the mastering to those in the know.
Nut,

I brought out the bass more as per bcgood's suggestion. By doing that I need to roll off the low end just a bit so it's not so muddy.

I have a predelay on the vox (a medium delay around 120ms) then out to the reverb short delay. I pushed the vox back just a tad because I thought it was too out in front, I think I'll push it up again 1db that should help.

The mix was never mastered, but it is a loud mix so I'll bring it down a bit, that should make it easier to listen to.

Thanks again guys, this genre of music is defintely new to me and so as per bcgood's suggestion I'm going to pick up a Phish cd this morning.

Thanks again for the help, I'll post the 3rd try tonight, until then any other comments are welcome.

Rob
Old 23rd June 2005
Lives for gear

Ok, another try at this one:

Still What You Will Mix 3
Old 24th June 2005
Gear Maniac

the good music saves this not-so-good mix. I hear too much compression on guitars. the drums sound not bad, but the snare seems too in my face and close miced. bring up the overheads. bass is fine, vocals are fine. just ease up on that snare!
Old 24th June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeppelin4Life
the good music saves this not-so-good mix. I hear too much compression on guitars. the drums sound not bad, but the snare seems too in my face and close miced. bring up the overheads. bass is fine, vocals are fine. just ease up on that snare!

Hmmm... the only compression on the guitars were the distressors when tracking and that compression was mild... I'm not sure what you're hearing there but I'll take a close listen, thanks.

I'm not feeling the love with the snare either, may soundreplace it...

The oh levels are easy enough to adjust, I'll give a listen to that as well.

Thanks,
Rob
Old 18th July 2005
Gear Head

guitars sound great, so does bass..

vocals good too

the drums ahh.. what did you use??

i dunno if its his kit or your micing, but that snare is awful

not a terrible job at all though
Old 18th July 2005
Lives for gear

I totally agree, the snare is ass. I've remixed the song with some snare samples to give it more life, I'll post it back up.

Thanks for the kind words!!

Rob

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search