The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Work in progress - Heavy rock solo project
Old 16th June 2005
Here for the gear

Work in progress - Heavy rock solo project

Hi guys,

This is a track I'm currently recording for a friend. He's doing it all: drums, bass, guitars, vocals. It's sloppy playing (the drums in particular -- no click-track, edits or sample replacing here) but I'm interested in feedback on just the sonics and the mix as it stands. I'm pretty happy with the drum sounds, but I'm not sure about the guitar tones and how they sit with the vocal and bass. Also I'm not sure whether the bass level is right (crappy monitoring environment). Bear in mind that the vox will be retracked (this was just a guide take) backing vox will be added, and we are yet to do guitar overdubs. (Pseudo-)mastering is "limited" to ramming the mix thru an L2.

Any opinions would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Jake
Attached Files

Penny 05-06-16.mp3 (3.11 MB, 1143 views)

Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

the drums are quite distracting, it would be hard to be taken seriously with such playing.

I dont really make the bass out in the mix, could be the sound or the part is just playing bottom of the guitars parts.

the vocal level seems ok, but he sounds a bit he like he is passing a bowing ball.

but overall it sound like you have done a good job with what you have to work with.
Old 16th June 2005
Here for the gear

Hey Adam, cheers!

Yeah, the drums are all over the place -- the guy's not really a drummer, and this is just a fun solo project for him. Still, I'm trying to pull the best sounds I can get, regardless. The bass lines are indeed following the gtr, it's just there to augment the guitars for a big overall tone.

Re: the bowling bowling ball comment, heh

Jake

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search