The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Opinions/ Suggestions On This (Hard) Rock Mix
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Head

Opinions/ Suggestions On This (Hard) Rock Mix

Fire at will.
Attached Files

invert 1st mix.mp3 (4.69 MB, 1369 views)

Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Cool song, cool production!
Interesting singer, digging the vibe though I don't generally like this style of music.

Mix opinion:

Vocals too low 4-5 db IMO

Synth too loud by 3db or so

The 'distortion' that is used as an effect on the bass actually sounds and feels like clipping and keeping me from being able to crank the tune.
Guitars too loud during the pre-chorus.

Great job! Sounds like a fun band.

P&B,
Old 16th June 2005
Lives for gear

Really, really cool...

Missing Persons?

Sounds like Bozzio programmed the drums! Some of his signature licks...

Pretty much agree with RG's points above.

Great stuff.
Old 16th June 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcatdigi
Really, really cool...

Missing Persons?

Sounds like Bozzio programmed the drums! Some of his signature licks...

Pretty much agree with RG's points above.

Great stuff.
Thanks guys!! That's funny that you mention Bozzio. I had my first introduction to him last week when I saw him perform with Fantomas here in LA. I researched him after the show and was blown away! It was really fun watching a seasoned pro play jackhammer beats and do insane mathmetal drumming.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Head

bump
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

Thumbs up

COOOOL ODD SONG ... I like it ! ... well, I wished to hear much more low end push and for my taste the mix is TOOOO 2D. And yes the synths are a bit to loud in the refrain, btw what limiter did you use? ...it may caused some hardness ??? ... andreas
Old 20th June 2005
Lives for gear

just to give you an idea...
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I saved your song to my hard-drive, and i plan on putting it on my ipod. I really love this song. It has a cool drum n' bass vibe to it at certain points. I really like this! Great job!
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Maniac

I do favor andreas's mix more, since it really caqpturs the low end, and shakes the room.
Old 20th June 2005
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G
COOOOL ODD SONG ... I like it ! ... well, I wished to hear much more low end push and for my taste the mix is TOOOO 2D. And yes the synths are a bit to loud in the refrain, btw what limiter did you use? ...it may caused some hardness ??? ... andreas

Andreas, I used the PSP Vintage warmer as my limiter. Wow, you think it needed more low end? When I listened to it on different stereos I really thought the low end was a little bit overboard. You mention 2 dimensional; how can I escape this?? I've gotten that comment before on other mixes. I've really got to figure that one out. I likek the sound of your mix, what did you do exactly?

Thanks!!
Old 21st June 2005
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyquistFilter
I likek the sound of your mix, what did you do exactly?

Thanks!!
Hey NyquistFilter, that was an quik and dirty job, not to copy, just to give you an idea :-) ... but O.K. ... first I boosted the lowend at 75Hz around 7,5db with a resonance typ filter curve, that caused also a dip at 100-120Hz around -3db, that’s where the bassmud frequencies are, you noticed them on your stereos before ;-) ... Than I added a little ambience reverb, went OTB, hit two Siemens W295 EQs really hard (so that the spools and transformers began to glow :-) ... giving me a more 3D effect, I boosted 3db at 15K and 3db at 60Hz and cut 2db at 2,3K. Back ITB the mix went through a 5band multicomp, with a very slight comping only 1-3db or so, to smooth the mix a bit. Last step was a L2, giving me some more db.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyquistFilter
You mention 2 dimensional; how can I escape this?? I've gotten that comment before on other mixes. I've really got to figure that one out.!
Say there are two kinds how to create dimension: one has to do with the arrangement, tracking and mixing, the other has more to do with the gear, it’s charakter, how to use it and if ITB or OTB. Lets concentrate on the second typ.

I guess your are mixing ITB(?), ...once I have to mix some songs for a band. They came along with there preproduktion, completely done ITB, I did the first rawmix OTB (only volumen without eqs) and it sounded much more clear, punchy and 3D. I ask myself how could that be? Well, pulling down a fader ITB cuts the lowest bits and byts, pulling down a fader OTB doesn’t, of course at some point the quiter signalinfo will be covered by the noisefloor, but is still there. So what is in the quiter parts of a signal? Often harmonics, roominformations,etc... or in other words some of the 3D info. Another thing is... yes I know...that never ending summing discussion... I noticed, the more the mix is dense the more the summing engine ITB sucks.

So what to do? may be you know someone who has a little mixer to try out. Mix at least the most energetic sources (kick,bass, snare) and important ones like vox,hh, etc... to separate channals, the rest to one ore two stereochannals. If the mixer is a more cheaper one, than don’t drive the sum to hot, you’ll lose there 3D too (the cheap powersupplies sucks) better more noise than a flat mix.... Another 3D killer could be your limiter... you should check that out! Compare both mixes with a subjectiv equal volume.

Andreas

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search