The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Avant CK-40 acid test--propped infront of acoustic trio
Old 21st January 2008
Avant CK-40 acid test--propped infront of acoustic trio

Two guitars and a keyboard, all singers, are on a riser, in a beautiful hall from the 1920's: the entire surface of the walls and sloping ceiling are wainscoting, a vast sea of precision-cut wood, dazzling to the naked eye. They're singing through a PA and surrounded by wedge monitors, and stomping their feet in time... I set the stereo mic right smack dab infront of them, at a point *hopefully* equidistant from each vocalist. And this is what you get...
Attached Files
Old 22nd January 2008
Can you "bump" on this forum???
Old 22nd January 2008
Gear Addict

Not sure what kind of feedback your looking for.

I'm guessing that not much can be done in the mix.

Great sound for one (two) mics. Good live performance.

Rhythm guitar is was too loud at times and the player is playing in that super dramatic super emotional super over the top vein. Is there an over-emotional slider in Pro Tools? Is the singer the rhythm guitar player? Guitar running straight in?

Lead instrumentals are way to low.

Would have loved that the band did a quick F# - Bminor chord change in there in the end of each chorus.
Old 24th January 2008
Lives for gear

Hey Joel,

Pretty cool results for a single stereo mic. May I ask what you were using for pre(s)? Just curious.

Very curious about these mics; I read your review. Thanks for sharing this.

Kind regards,
Old 25th January 2008
The pre's were also an acid test, I guess, I was using the Alesis 8-channel USB mixer, channel one ---> left out and channel two ---> right out. I hear the sound of bodies falling, everyone is fainting from disbelief! I'm totally serious--that night was all about the minimalism, the shrinking it all down to something a waiter could carry on a tray.

If you've never seen the Alesis unit, it's got a very sleek curving-down front, instead of being just squared off like every other teensy mixer in existence. It's supposed to evoke a "real" console with its leather armrest. And... it does!
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Joel,

Totally cool. That's great! Thank you for sharing that.
Have you tried the Avant mic in a M/S setup?

Kind regards,
Old 25th January 2008
Yeah, it's the perfect machine for that, no question, you get a really tacticle sense of the dimensionality of things, "reach out and touch" kind of realism. Some people are really fanatics about M-S, this could easily be their holy grail.
Old 25th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
Yeah, it's the perfect machine for that, no question, you get a really tacticle sense of the dimensionality of things, "reach out and touch" kind of realism. Some people are really fanatics about M-S, this could easily be their holy grail.
Dang you, Joel! Listen closely.... hear that? That's the sound of my checking account draining....

I may have to pull the trigger on one of these. Again with the danging.

Thanks for the info; really.

Kind regards,
Old 25th January 2008
(Slaps hands together and cackles maniacally!)
Old 7th February 2008
Lives for gear

Sounds nice, but I'm hearing distortion when they get louder. Is that the mic distorting, or have you pushed volumes up to "0"?

I do like the sound though, the Avant CV-12 is a mic I've been considering as a general purpose vocal mic. Have you used a CV-12?
Old 7th February 2008
I think this might actually be a true-life rendering of distortion from the monitors as the volume wells up, although I doubt the Alesis mixer I was using is renowned for its headroom. I guess every "acid test" should have some kind of etching from the acid.

Yeah, love my CV-12, it's permanently mounted in the vocal booth. Everyone sounds "engaging" and "voluptuous" through it. I shy away from taking tube mics out on location very often, more trouble than they're worth, or, rather, one more problematic thing to pile on.
Old 9th February 2008
Just in case anyone's interested, this trio (called "Streams of Mercy") is going to be playing a concert this Sunday night (February 10th) at 6pm on Main Street in Berlin... that would be Berlin, upstate New York... not Germany. Sorry, European fans!
Old 3rd April 2008
Update!

The lead singer for the group told me to say that he's quite proud of the "super emotional" impression he managed to create. He's got this philosophy that whatever he lacks in technical technique he'll make up in "over the top" delivery-- I tried to talk him into believing he's a magnificent guitar player, but, sometimes people can just be stubborn.
Old 4th April 2008
Lives for gear

Would be cool to add the vocals later - upfront and hifi - I dig the sound but it would be nice to have some close mics - or feel of close mics on the instruments - because now it's a bit too roomy for my taste... This is cool though. The low mid is a little boomy so I think you could clean up the mid a bit - Thanks for sharing!
Old 15th May 2010
Gear Maniac

I've been wondering about this mic. I'm gonna use it to record my wind ensemble at the high school. I am flip flopping between the CK-40 and the AT4050ST. I realize the CK-40 is about 1/2 the price of the AT4050ST. Have you had a chance to compare the CK-40 to the AT4050ST?
Old 26th July 2010
Here for the gear

Too bad about the P.A. I have a feeling that this would have sounded better without it. Acoustic music in the room you described... hard to beat.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search