The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Serious Critique Needed - All Suggestions & Opinions Welcome - Thanks (Incl. Equip) Condenser Microphones
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Arrow Serious Critique Needed - All Suggestions & Opinions Welcome - Thanks (Incl. Equip)

hi guys

here's a mix i've been working really hard on and would really like opinions.

i'm doing an album with this girl and this is the only song i'm allowed to let people hear so give it to me, the good, the bad, the ugly, whatever....

also, what do you think of the style of music, her voice, etc. do you think she has potential, etc...i think she has huge potential

thanks all

G

Equipment list
Vox: DBX 376 & AKG C414
Acoustic: Larrivé & DBX 376 & Neumann KM184
Electric: Forgot Guitar & Avalon U5 & Guitar Rig
Bass: Fender P Bass & Avalon U5 & Logic Bass Amp
Drums: Mixture of Drums & Onyx 800r
Kick: AE2500
Snare: AKG C414
Toms: Sennheiser MD421
Hi Hat: Akg C451
Overheads: KM184 Stereo Set
Logic & Komplete 4 Instruments
Waves Gold & V-Series, Sonnox, DUY Everpack & Tape & Logic Plugs

Logic Pro 7.2.3
Mac Pro
Motu 828MKII
Onyx 800r
Genelec 8040
Mackie Big Knob

UPDATE: 19 November 2008: find updated mix here
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...ml#post2569461
Attached Files

Give_You_My_Love_Noelle.mp3 (4.47 MB, 531 views)

Last edited by macgee; 12th September 2007 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: Added Equipment List
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey bro!

This sounds like it could sound really great but it seems like you took the mixdown too far (wrong direction) - everything seems flat (L2'ished) I would try to get back some air and dynamics to the mix - don't over do it for loudness. This is how I hear it - hope it helps. Cool song, she have a great voice and I dig the production. Keep it up tiger claw!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Sounds really good! I agree that the mix sounds a little too squashed. At least to my ears. The drums, particularly the snare drum is a little to forward in the mix for my taste. The overheads sound a little bright to me.

That's all personal preference stuff. Sounds awesome man. Good production!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

hey guys, thanks for the comments.

it's very interesting you say it sounds squashed as there's no threshold based limiting on the track at all. i just put the oxford over the master buss to prevent clipping.

a lot of the snare is coming through the overheads and i would like it a little more controlled but i reckon i'm going to have to put in a bit of time to lessen it's effect. believe it or not, the C4 is already in action here to suppress it!

what kind of dynamics do you think are missing? and on what instruments? i think i've listened to it to death and have forgotten what the word subjective means at this stage

tips would probably help me a lot at this stage if you can oblige

thanks guys, i really appreciate your time thumbsup

i reckon i'll drop the highs on the overheads a bit!
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Give me a couple of hours and I will return with better feedback - I need to finish some work here...

Keep it up bro!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Addict

Hello Macleodgrant,

very nice song and sweet voice! To me the vocs could come up a bit more or better: the rest a bit down.

Quote:
it's very interesting you say it sounds squashed as there's no threshold based limiting on the track at all. i just put the oxford over the master buss to prevent clipping.
This may be a reason for things sounding a bit "squashed". Maybe if you back off on all the instrument tracks so that the mixbus does not clip ( or not as often ) WITHOUT the Oxford plug things will sound better. Like on a real console, in a DAW things don't sound very nice when the mixbus overloads ( even when "fixed" later with a plugin) . If the gain structure is right it will sound better and then you can use something on the mixbuss if necessary ( loudness/glue). If you are going to have the song professionally mastered it might even be better to put nothing on the mixbus at all..

Anyway, great song, good luck with the mix!

Martijn.
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

i like the squashed sound.

its very up front. to match the vox to it add alittle more compression with a super fast attack and about a 400ms release and boost the make up gain to bring the vox as up fron as the guitar is. i think the freqs from the vox with blend nice with the guitar.
imo hope it helps
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalM View Post
Hello Macleodgrant,

very nice song and sweet voice! To me the vocs could come up a bit more or better: the rest a bit down.

This may be a reason for things sounding a bit "squashed". Maybe if you back off on all the instrument tracks so that the mixbus does not clip ( or not as often ) WITHOUT the Oxford plug things will sound better. Like on a real console, in a DAW things don't sound very nice when the mixbus overloads ( even when "fixed" later with a plugin) . If the gain structure is right it will sound better and then you can use something on the mixbuss if necessary ( loudness/glue). If you are going to have the song professionally mastered it might even be better to put nothing on the mixbus at all..

Anyway, great song, good luck with the mix!

Martijn.
Cool - there is no need for me to comment more - I agree with digiM
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

yes agree it could do with some dynamics......maybe try riding the fader on the voice........so that the lyrics speak a bit better. I think there is a lot more you could do to this mix to help the song come through....but I understand how difficult it is when you have spent a lot of time with a song to get a fresh perspective. Try putting it away for a few days.....come back to it fresh, you'll probably hear what's required.
Old 14th September 2007
Gear Addict

Now, see I like the snare right where it is. Yeah, it's probably a bit too loud but I like a big brushy sounding snare. I spent 30 years standing by one going whack every night and ruining my hearing. The kick I do not like the sound of at all. Overall, hearing this mix would not make me tune out at all. That's a big plus to me. I've heard some mixes that were so good I'd listen just to hear the engineering/mastering mastery but in general a mix should be like a bass player. It should not make you say "killer bass player" while at the same time not making you say "what a lousy bass player". Like Nathan East. He's so great you barely notice he's there. And he is great!

For the bad comments, this gir's voice would make me tune out. She's got that lazy out of tune kind of voice but her vocal texture has no appeal for me. I like a lot of lazy, smokey female voices but they have a tremendous amount of character. She doesn't do it for me.
Old 11th July 2008
Lives for gear

so i updated this mix...i did a total remix using new found mixing techniques and the new abbey road brilliance pack

you can have a listen if you like. i took a lot of your ideas on board

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/work-...ml#post2569461
Old 6th August 2008
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

I love your new mix

And I love her!!
Once the whole thing is done this way, tell me, so I can go buy the CD!!!!

Great work on improving your mixing skills that much over the few months
thumbsup

I compared all the 3 mixes I found of this song to each other and I gotta say, even the first one was already very well done panning wise for example.
The way the second voice is coming up on the right side and then on the left, always blending with the center one is really nice!

The new mixes you did fixed all the sound problems in the first mix I would have mentioned... However compared to the first mix I think you put down the instruments except the voice too much. Maybe bring em all a bit more up more again... I often have issues getting the vocals on the right level with the rest of the instruments myself - it's a big issue. But I really think this mix would benefit from getting the rest up a bit more again..

Also bring the guitars back up more than the rest in my opinion and the overheads. Don't make any changes to how the instruments sound though, thats pretty much perfect right now I think

Apart from that I really like the new sound, the overheads aren't smashingly bright anymore etc... That's really alot better now.
I think this mix is really close now, the first was a bit better level wise but alot worse sounding overall.

Frequency-wise there is something in there at and above 10kHz that is annoying. I don't know which of your plugins did it, it sounds like too many added harmonics in that range... I eqed around a bit and found quite a few frequencies which really have this problem and removed them with high Q EQs... Of course it also removed some of the high end overall but I think if you find out which of your tracks has high end problems you can fix them without losing the high end you have now... The frequencies in question I found were 10800, 12600, 13400, 14800 - there are still more in there, these are the most annoying ones though... If you have Logic 8 and Waveburner installed you can use this saved plugin chain to reproduce my eq so you can easily see what I mean...

Good luck!

I edited this post around 39234 times now, so if anything doesn't make any sense anymore feel free to ask what I intended to say
Attached Files
File Type: zip eq.wpp.zip (781 Bytes, 15 views)
Old 19th November 2008
Lives for gear

hi guys

i've now updated this track - it's been a long couple of months and the album is coming together nicely. i've now remixed this song (for the 3rd & a half time ;-) )

what do you think?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...2008-11-19.mp3
Old 20th November 2008
N88
Gear Maniac

I wish for just a crack more air on her lead vocal.
But it may only be the mp3.
Old 20th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by N88 View Post
I wish for just a crack more air on her lead vocal.
But it may only be the mp3.
thanks for the suggestion.
i actually feel that the whole track will benefit from from some air however i've decided to leave this to the mastering engineer. they have far better equipment for this purpose and since it's a 100% ITB mix he will likely have more appropriate equipment for this purpose - as he says, "fix it in the mastering"

cheers, g

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search