The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Please help with this re mix & remaster - The Arrogants - "Future Classic" Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 9th September 2007

Thumbs up Please help with this re mix & remaster - The Arrogants - "Future Classic"

The original master is here - www.giveproductions.com/TheArrogants-FutureClassic-Original.mp3

My FINAL MIX AND MASTER
www.giveproductions.com/TheArrogants-FutureClassic-FinalRemaster.mp3

Last edited by ABGen; 16th September 2007 at 07:27 PM.. Reason: FINAL mix and master
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

Both have the vocals too far back in the mix and they're thin. EQ'ing the vocals to give them more presence (less whispery). It might be tough when the singer are whispering. Applying a touch of a limiter (artistically) on that radio voice would be cool but that might be too much.

The original's drums were too much so it's nice it was lessened in the remix. The "kick" drum doesn't seem to have much of a kick.

Generally a combination of the two would do the trick. The remix seems to be overcompensated.

Other questions:
Is the mixing room acoustically treated?
What monitors are you using?

If any of those are lacking it'll be tough to fix anything.
Old 10th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascottk View Post
Both have the vocals too far back in the mix and they're thin. EQ'ing the vocals to give them more presence (less whispery). It might be tough when the singer are whispering. Applying a touch of a limiter (artistically) on that radio voice would be cool but that might be too much.

The original's drums were too much so it's nice it was lessened in the remix. The "kick" drum doesn't seem to have much of a kick.

Generally a combination of the two would do the trick. The remix seems to be overcompensated.

Other questions:
Is the mixing room acoustically treated?
What monitors are you using?

If any of those are lacking it'll be tough to fix anything.
Wow - thanks for the quick response. I agree - in listening again - the vocals need to come up front a bit more and the guitar on the right channel in the 2nd vocal verse is drowing the vocal out to me. On the remaster you still don't think the kick isn't "kicking"? hmmmmm ok - i'll give it another shot.

When you say it is overcompensated - what do you mean?

The room has been checked by Jeff Hill with his IVIE real time analyzer - and it scoped out well. I'm using Blue Sky monitors.

Thanks again.

-Andrew
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABGen View Post
When you say it is overcompensated - what do you mean?
Well, a loose example based on nothing . . . supposed you have a 6 dB peak around 100 Hz, you overcompensate by dropping that peak to -6 dB. In this case, the original's lower mids make it sound a little muddy (brown?), so in the remix you made it too bright by dropping the lower mids too much.

Quote:
The room has been checked by Jeff Hill with his IVIE real time analyzer - and it scoped out well. I'm using Blue Sky monitors.

Thanks again.

-Andrew
Cool, just checking. Can't you tell I work with a lot of beginners? heh That's usually the first thing I ask.
Old 10th September 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ascottk View Post
Well, a loose example based on nothing . . . supposed you have a 6 dB peak around 100 Hz, you overcompensate by dropping that peak to -6 dB. In this case, the original's lower mids make it sound a little muddy (brown?), so in the remix you made it too bright by dropping the lower mids too much.

Cool, just checking. Can't you tell I work with a lot of beginners? heh That's usually the first thing I ask.
Yep - i "hear" you.

I'm in shock you don't think the kick on the remaster is "kicking". That's the one thing i thought i got right. I compared the mastering on the Eagles greatest hits cd to this and this is way more punchy / kicky. Tried going for a drive in the car comparing as well.

thanks again for the help.
Old 10th September 2007

Last edited by ABGen; 10th September 2007 at 10:37 PM.. Reason: wrong post
Old 12th September 2007

Exclamation NEW MIX AND MASTER OF FUTURE CLASSIC

Thanks for all the advice so far - I've gone back in and made a new mix - ran the mix out of Cubase into my Pendulum MDP1 and into the Capybara (Kyma) prior to compression, eq, and limiting.

**SEE FINAL MIX AND REMASTER BELOW AND IN TITLE POST**

Your time and feedback is seriously appreciated.

-Andrew
Old 16th September 2007
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search