The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pop/rock Mix - Nuendo ITB via SSL Convertors. Feedback please?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Pop/rock Mix - Nuendo ITB via SSL Convertors. Feedback please?

Hey guys,

just finished a track for a band. would like some feedback.

i recently kitted my live room out with a solid maple floor which has really made the room sound nice. this is the first kind of test ive done with the new floor, bass traps etc.

all mixed in Nuendo ITB via SSL alphalink convertors. api/trident/avalon pre's. lots of fatso/1176.

please leave any feedback!

http://longwave.crucialweb.net/SHINE_ON_MIX2.mp3
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

VERY NICE! I like it. Really. It isn't my cup of tea but it's very well done. What was signal path for voice and guitars?
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

hi,

cheers mate!

vox was a modded apex 460 or 480 (cant remember which number!) with a C12 capsule. That went into an API 3124 pre into an 1176 and into a fatso.

All recorded into nuendo via SSL Alphalink convertors

guitars were a marshall jcm800 going into a 1960 with a 57/c414 into api/fatso

also used a fender twin for cleans with a c414 / api / fatso

nice one!
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

I agree

Not really my cup o joe, but the recording is excellent!!! Although at times I dont understand what the hell the singer is saying kind of that whiney voice mixed with the panned guitars I guess. If I had to nit pick which really isnt necessary since this is obviously pro level, I would say the wetness on the snare is distracting, is the Slate Samples or Live? If its live Id tighten up the 700Khz range with a quicker attack and release as it seems to bleed a little. But other than that EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

hey,

thanks for the crit!

i understand what you are saying about not understanding some words. maybe its a combination of his diction and the guitar placments. i tried to keep the verses quite mono sounding with a solid centre image. maybe that has cluttered the vox a bit.

no samples, that is the actual drum

i do understand what you mean by the ambience on the snare, the song sounded so different drier though, in a way i didn't like. maybe i should play around with it a bit more.

thanks so much for listening!
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

bump!
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Nut

I really like the mix, the song is not bad at all either !

Did you master the song yourself ?

What plug-ins did you use in the mix ? I'd love to get a bit more info on the mixing/mastering aspect.

Daniel
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Maniac

the sounds are great. you should be really proud.
Old 8th September 2007
Village Idiot

Sounds great.

I think the acoustic guitars a little too slick, but thats a matter of taste Im sure.

Maybe a bit too much verb overall.

You kill me.

Gustav
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

The SSL converter seem nice - how do you like it? I think the mix sounds pretty good - I miss something - the mix seems distant - I miss some boldness -
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Addict

hey guys,

thanks for all the crit, its really nice to hear other opinions!

I really like the SSL convertors, getting on with their sound really well.

yes, i did "master" this too.

as for plugins, it'd take me a while to go through what was used where! mainly just high pass/low pass filters a lot of the time with SSL Duende. Got a lot of the sounds in the room with the mics and various outboard.

There are a lot of eq's from the duende on the track, its pretty much an ssl demo track! haha. used a few instances of SSL Drumstrip, completely maxed out all the SSL EQ (not doing too much eq'ing, but i like the filters on it, and the odd tweak on things here and there.)

Buss compression was the SSL stereo buss comp with Voxengo Tape Buss thing.

I used a LOT of Empirical Labs Fatso on the track on various things.

Fairchild on the guitar buss.

let me know if theres anything else i can tell you! theres nothing crazy going on with plugins though, mainly just getting it to sound how i wanted at source really. things like the drum reverb and stuff are around 80% compressed room mics, with a tiny bit of rverb on a send.

a lot of the drum ambience is actually an SM7 facing the control room window in the live room through an 1176 with all buttons in, then smashing it into the fatso. I used the fatso to remove all the top end (hihats) so i was left with this nice crunchy fat room sound. try it ! also had 2 apex 460s modded with c12 capsules in the corners of the room facing away from the kit for the stereo room.

nice one!
Old 9th September 2007
Gear Nut

What did you use the fatso on ?

Do you think a box such as the Fatso is worth buying considering plug-ins such as Voxengo Tapebus and others that can generate harmonics, soft clipping and tape emulation ?
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Very nice mix. Sweet seperation of the instruments. My only comment is some of the words get lost a TAD. Some eq automation on certain words would help that ( i think it was the verse)
Keep up the great work!!
J-
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake 2.0 View Post
Very nice mix. Sweet seperation of the instruments. My only comment is some of the words get lost a TAD. Some eq automation on certain words would help that ( i think it was the verse)
Keep up the great work!!
J-
I mostly agree. To me, words and singers are just there to break up my guitar solo's.

Overall, excellent! Singers that can sing, players that can play and a mixer that can mix.
Old 10th September 2007

This sounds gorgeous on my monitors. Nice work
Old 10th September 2007
DRC
Lives for gear

I think you did a pretty damn good job Longwave. Nice balance. Are you using the RME MADI cards to interface with the Alphalink or re you using the Mixpander? Were there any bugs you had to work out with the system?
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Head

Great job! Although I find the snare too up-front at times. Otherwise it sound great!
Old 10th September 2007
Gear Addict

hey,

not using mixpander or madi. SSL sent me a mixpander but i think im the only person in the world who didn't get on with it! i hear its a GREAT system but just not for me. I just bought a MOTU 2408 and go into it via adat from the SSL. I then have a 24i/o which i use to monitor all the channels on my desk for easy headphones/monitor mix.

Dan,

Fatso was used on snare top, drum mono room, bass sansamp, all the guitars, and vox. mainly in tracking comp mode.
Old 11th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labs View Post

Maybe a bit too much verb overall.
i think you've got to much verb in this tune- its mudding it up.

exp. on the snare- try lowering your mix and then adding the verb- use the verb like salt- you don't wanna see it just taste it a bit thumbsup

i think once you clean up the verb a bit it will make the singer more understandable.
Old 11th September 2007
Gear Addict

its not actually much of a reverb unit as such.most of the 'verb' are compressed room mics.I purposely didn't want it sounding too dry.but I understand where you are coming from!
maybe it is also because I went for such a mono verse so most stuff is near the middle.

nice one!
Old 15th September 2007
Gear Addict

bump!
Old 17th September 2007

Great job Long. I would def automate the vox phrase by phrase and brighten a tad.
I think that will help it stand up a little more. Excellent job overall.

Peace,
Bdiggy
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Addict

thanks bdiggy! bump!
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Another Great peice Rom...

Thumbs up.

J
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear
Great sounding mix. Just my taste, but I think the vocals should be a bit louder in the verse. So I get this straight, as outboard pieces for tracking you used the pres, tracked lots with the Fatso(do you have multiple of these), a 1176. a real Fairchild (or a plugin). The snare really pops nice. Very nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongWave View Post
hey guys,

thanks for all the crit, its really nice to hear other opinions!

I really like the SSL convertors, getting on with their sound really well.

yes, i did "master" this too.

as for plugins, it'd take me a while to go through what was used where! mainly just high pass/low pass filters a lot of the time with SSL Duende. Got a lot of the sounds in the room with the mics and various outboard.

There are a lot of eq's from the duende on the track, its pretty much an ssl demo track! haha. used a few instances of SSL Drumstrip, completely maxed out all the SSL EQ (not doing too much eq'ing, but i like the filters on it, and the odd tweak on things here and there.)

Buss compression was the SSL stereo buss comp with Voxengo Tape Buss thing.

I used a LOT of Empirical Labs Fatso on the track on various things.

Fairchild on the guitar buss.

let me know if theres anything else i can tell you! theres nothing crazy going on with plugins though, mainly just getting it to sound how i wanted at source really. things like the drum reverb and stuff are around 80% compressed room mics, with a tiny bit of rverb on a send.

a lot of the drum ambience is actually an SM7 facing the control room window in the live room through an 1176 with all buttons in, then smashing it into the fatso. I used the fatso to remove all the top end (hihats) so i was left with this nice crunchy fat room sound. try it ! also had 2 apex 460s modded with c12 capsules in the corners of the room facing away from the kit for the stereo room.

nice one!
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

sounds quality to me

good job son
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Love it! Any more?
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Addict

yeah i use a lot of my outboard on the way in as i mix itb. i try and get my sounds how i want them before they go into nuendo.

x
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear
How was it tracked

Did you track this in pieces: drums and bass, then guitars, keyboards.

Tell us about your outboard setup. You mentioned you used the Fatso and a 1176. Do you have a Fairchild at your studio as well. Post what you used. It sounds great.
Old 26th September 2007
Gear Addict

did rough guide tracks to click then tracked everything seperate

outboard, i have a lot of stuff!

mainly used...
api pre's, avalon 737, trident pre's, distressors, fatso, 1176, some old drawmer comp that i love on room, and i think a tc fireworx for something. i cant remember much, ill have to revisit the multitrack to remember!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search