The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pop/rock Mix - Nuendo ITB via SSL Convertors. Feedback please?
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear
Hey man..was just wondering your settings on the Waves SSL and then the Voxengo tape..I love the Vox tape plug, but have not put it on my 2 buss before.
Old 27th September 2007
Gear Nut

similiar coments...

the vocal is distant. i don't think its the verb though. although running the vocal thru something else would help. the most glaring thing is when u do the filter on his voice - u really can't hear anything. i think the "washyness" of the mix is fine if you could pull the vocal forward. LOVE the drum sounds (including the loud snare).

great recording.thumbsup
Old 28th September 2007
Here for the gear

Sounds great! I love the acoustic guitars. Even though they sound slick
it really compliments what you're going for. The mix is superb and the song has lots of potential. Did you use outboard gear for mastering too?

Steve
Old 28th September 2007
Hi!!!I really like the song, production, and the mix sounds very good!!! really like it!

The only thing I did not like are the acoustic gtrs(Specially at the beggining of the song), I think you hear mostly the attack on the hit of the strings and not the sustain and the extension of the sound...I think they sound without body and sounds very unnatural to the point that i thought they could be a keyboard,,,I think the mix is very good and the sound of the AC Gtrs do not match what you achieved...and I guess you can easily improve that acoustic gtrs in the beggining
( I guess you wanted the AC gtrs to sound too slick and was too much)

Love that the drums are real and not with help of samples that IMO they make the sounds superfitial!!

Did you use the fatso o any outboard gear on the Mix?
Which version of Nuendo do u have?

Again nice mix!!thumbsup
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear Head

sweet sweet. that's a great live snare sound. you mind explaining exactly what you did with it?
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Addict

57 on top, 414 i think underneath

api pres

snare top went into a fatso with the tracking comp and about 3-5db reduction while tracking

bottom snare went into a dbx160x i *think*

just a bit of eq from SSL Duende, think i made a copy of the snare with a load of compression and blended in too.

nice one!
Old 5th October 2007
Damn!!!!!!
That's probably the BEST mix I've heard from GS.
I don't care about the song, I'm just talking about the mix!!!
Sounds great, perfect to me!
Great work, do you have pictures of the room where you tracked drums?
Great work!
Old 5th October 2007
Gear Addict

wow, thats quite a compliment (allthough defintiely untrue!)

thanks!

yeah i have a pic of my drum room, here it is....

it is a solid maple floating floor with asc bass traps and lots of panels and traps i made myself too.
Attached Thumbnails
Pop/rock Mix - Nuendo ITB via SSL Convertors. Feedback please?-l_bd6e453427067f25598243e48ae81ca8.jpg  
Old 12th October 2007
Gear Addict

bump!
Old 13th October 2007
Gear Nut

Thumbs up

Almost perfect! Tight, well balanced
Love that loud snare, tight bass, but I somehow feel the lack of kick drum. I would make it a db louder or enchance a click.

Cheers
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear

LOVE that drum setup! How much of a difference do those baffles/absorbers make, eh?
Old 13th October 2007
Lives for gear
More guitar solo

awesome job though!
Old 14th October 2007
Gear Addict

the absorbers on the wall make a huge difference.

the difference with the bass trapping is insane. you can really hear it. tightens everything up.
Old 22nd October 2007
Lives for gear

mix sounds good, vox gets burried a bit now and then, I like the drums.
i agree the mix sounds wet and this makes it sounds little dated, and the songwriting sounds dated as well...but I like it, its nostalgic.
I would recommend bringing in something else for the last chorus, extra guitar, some sort of melodical point of difference........but really thats up to the band....
yeah the mix sounds great, well done.
Chymer

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search