The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
review advice Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

review advice

This may be an odd question so let me give a little background before I ask it. I played for 25 years and quit about 12 years ago. I ran a small studio when i was just out of high school and at the time I had about 4 years of studio experience (no, I wasn't held back). The next 20+ years were on the road mostly and I had a couple of regional releases that I wrote, played on, engineered and produced. In other words I owned all of the stuff and payed for it myself. After moving here I did a lot of songwriter type sessions. For those of you not from Nashville, that's where you get paid $10 a song for doing some of the worst material ever written. It really makes play a 4 lettered word.

Anyway I decided I'd like to learn about this newfangled digital recording and got a few items along and got to thinking I'll have a lot of time this winter and maybe i could do an album. I seldom play anymore so don't really have an outlet to sell them where I'm playing. I got the bright idea of maybe sending some to magazines for review. No, not Teen Beat. Maybe something like a blues magazine, local music scene paper, etc. to get a litte publicitiy.

Has anyomne ever done this and if so did it work?

I also thought maybe send to some small record labels. I am not looking for a deal, I'd just like a critique of it. I'm thinking it would just be tossed like the unsolicted material it is. I still know quite a few players around here and can get there opinons as well but they are friends and will probably tell me good job whether they really mean it or not.

I would like to sell a few to cover the cost of this project. If I sold 500 I'd be real happy. Any tips? Any blues bands out there willing to share some ideas? Is 500 a lot to shoot for? I don't want to press 1000 and have 998 to stare at in my old age.

Thanks.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

cd's can be a tough sell these days unless you have the big machine behind you- and even then. there are lots of ways to sell your music without having to involve a physical cd. that always left me a little empty as i am from the record generation that likes some information about the recording and pics never hurt. myspace is a free place to post your tunes so people can hopefully buy more. you can sell your cd's with online sites like cdbaby.com, notlame.com etc.

it sounds like you have a lot of talent and when you record some stuff post a song. believe me the guys here will tell you it sucks if it sucks and they'll tell you it sucks even if it's great. but i bet it will be great.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

and of course send a copy to the local rags and try to talk directly to someone. they will have their own agenda to push so don't expect too much. i sent my cd out to lots of places i never hear back from. it's all pretty hopeless and reminds you of why you do it in the first place.

MySpace.com - Snuzz - Winston Salem, North Carolina - Alternative - www.myspace.com/snuzz
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

Ha, yeah I agree. I will post it here, probably on soundclick and offer the slutz a week or so to download for free if any want to. And the mix may not be up to their standards. Hey, it's blues. It's music. I'm more interested in what I'm doing than how it's done. I learned a long time ago a bad lick (or phrase or chord change or.....) is bad but an adequate lick is a good one. I can get lost in technique (to the limits of my abilities) but i try hard not to. And I get hung up on gear as much as the next guy. I do that with lots of stuff, bows, guns, horses, guitars, belt buckles, spurs. I get into stuff, keep it and move on to the next interest. I try not to liquidate anymore just because I don't pick it up and use it every day. I'm an old man and when I say, hey, I used to have one of those everyone thinks it my sometimers acting up. Since I started keeping everything I'm running out of room but I can pull it out and show them I really do have one instead of "sure you did, grandpa. Now take your pills".
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

haha awesome!

You sound like a cool guy old C... I bet you would enjoy a joint and some good old whiskey and a friendly jam outside on the balcony.

But I tell you this - I'm not old but I'm tired... Feedback mess with your head. It's easy to be a junky on other peoples taste etc... I say don't do it! Don't sell any records - keep it simple! If the music is good post it on GS with a loud bold up yours in the signature...

Much love,
Your friend Great great river.
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Addict

That's plan B.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search