The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sweet vocal NuMetal Studio Monitors
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Sweet vocal NuMetal

http://www.pixel.cz/audio/2/mistaken.mp3

Critique needed - a little "demo" project about to be used as our presentation in quite an important competiton so... I know, it's quite eh.. simple but still - I need every word you can give me. Thanks!
Old 6th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Maybe it's the speakers I'm listening on (Creative 2.1), but I feel the vocals are a bit too loud, and they feel like they are peaking? I can't put my finger on it, but it sounds brittle at certain points. Is this track really compressed maybe?

-ScottyD
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hmmm...

I think the guy above me should upgrade his speakers... This is a great mix... Great Job.... and the Vocals are fine....
This needs a better mastering... thats about all I can find wrong with it.... Whats your signal path on those vocals... I really like it, it has definate warmth...
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakewire View Post
Whats your signal path on those vocals... I really like it, it has definate warmth...
MXL V6 -> Studio Projects VTB1 (not absolutely sure of the position of "tube blend" knob ) -> RME RPM -> and then... hmm.. guess it was some cheap compression + eq ...

and thanks a lot for the comment - I'm not too sure about the sound myself - warmth and stuff - especially with the rap - I'm not used to hearing anyone else's rap sound like that ...
Old 7th September 2007
Gear Maniac

Sounds pretty good IMO. Vocals are nice and crisp, mix in general is nice and clean.

The hard panned female vocal harmony is too heavy though. Center is ok, but the harmony layers, at least on the first break/ chorus, are too prominent... they should be adding to the main vocal, not overpowering it. Personally, I'd bring it down the panned vocals a db or 3 maybe wet'em up a little with some verb to add space. The harmony is both overpowering in the mix and too focused. You could side chain an eq on the verb to add some air too while your at it.

Sounds nice though. 'Rap' vox sound fantastic. The MXL is working really well here. Good job!
Old 8th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blister View Post
Sounds pretty good IMO. Vocals are nice and crisp, mix in general is nice and clean.
Oh, thanks... nice to hear this here
Quote:
The hard panned female vocal harmony is too heavy though. Center is ok, but the harmony layers, at least on the first break/ chorus, are too prominent... they should be adding to the main vocal, not overpowering it. Personally, I'd bring it down the panned vocals a db or 3 maybe wet'em up a little with some verb to add space. The harmony is both overpowering in the mix and too focused. You could side chain an eq on the verb to add some air too while your at it.
Yeah, thought about this too - what exactly did you mean? - the part starting like 0:36 - or the chorus itself? When I was mixing it, I somehow found I like her voice coming to me from "all around" .. but you're right, I'll cut a few dB..
Quote:
Sounds nice though. 'Rap' vox sound fantastic. The MXL is working really well here. Good job!
Thanks a lot for that.. mainly because it's me
Old 8th September 2007
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by drakewire View Post
I think the guy above me should upgrade his speakers... This is a great mix... Great Job.... and the Vocals are fine....
My speakers are fine, and I think the vocals are too loud/on top of everything too.

I thinkt he vocals are the best sounding elements though, so thats probably fine.

To me the drums are thin, guitars flat and thin.

Gustav
Old 9th September 2007
Lives for gear

Umm

My speakers are fine, and I think the vocals are too loud/on top of everything too.

I thinkt he vocals are the best sounding elements though, so thats probably fine.

To me the drums are thin, guitars flat and thin.

Gustav

I think you are nit picking when no nit picking is needed, this is a great mix, great structure, and with a proper mastering job it will be perfect. I have heard garbage polished up by mastering, this is near perfect and will by mastering... I think before you go offering advice, remember this is a show and tell of mixes not masters, I.E these are works in progress. Having said that the drums are fine, the vocals are fine, everything is great. If you were expecting an absolutely finished product, buy the CD...

On my Adam S3's and even on my Ns-10's which are hard to sound good, this tracks sounds awesome... So, like I said before upgrade your speakers, or perhaps your ears
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

Ok, thanks everybody...! I'll be doing a few changes on the track before I send it to the competition (though it IS in one already ) ... I'm just not sure what to do with the drums - some compression and bring them up a bit, maybe? hmm...
Old 12th September 2007
Lives for gear

hey dude, vocals are hitting me right in the face.

I like it... guitars could be bigger and so can the snare but I'm digging the vocals.

what widening effect did you use on the vocal? sounds great on my laptop.

Good job

J.
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Head

to Jason: Damn! Wanted to go to bed early, but I simply can't stop listening to "paralyzed" .. I'm feeling somehow.. paralyzed heh ... That's what I call a GREAT song!! Whoa this LesPaul of yours + the mesa or whatever it is makes it feel... well so damn real, compared to my GuitarRig machine sound

The vocal is as "in face" as it was supposed to be, i love it that way - no widening, just another two takes panned hard on both sides - that's my style..

and... thanks! Great to hear all of this from somebody with your sound! I would love to, but I'm afraid i can't make GuitarRig sound much well.. stronger..
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Sadluck....nice work. Sorry, but for my tastes the lead vox could be a tad lower in the mix....nothing much to add......guitars and drums could be bigger yes....but don't know how you would achieve this.....also use guitar rig and it's a struggle to get guitars in yer face!
Old 13th September 2007
Lives for gear

How to sweeten Guitar Rig

Guitar Rig 2 can definitely be sweetened... If you have some out board gear you can make it sound just like the real thing. and unless you are a very true audiophile no one will ever know the difference.
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

For metal, I don't think Guitar Rig can cut it...

Prove me wrong someone?

Sadluck, work those elements man... you can have yourself a hit!

J.
Old 18th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin View Post
For metal, I don't think Guitar Rig can cut it...

Prove me wrong someone?
I don't know, might be possible with some insane programming, but I must confess that I find getting more than this out of it a little hard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Poulin View Post
Sadluck, work those elements man... you can have yourself a hit!
J.
We'll see, we'll see... and maybe quite soon the competition is not too far ahead the first competition we took part in ended yesterday - we got second (by NO point difference ) and third place.. the first price was that little M-audio ProTools soundcard, so I'm a little fuuck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search