The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cheapo stereo drum recording Dynamic Microphones
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

Cheapo stereo drum recording

Hi everyone, I've been lurking on this forum (been very helpful ) and this is my first post.

I started recording about a year ago, and I have not been able to do incredible sounding drum recordings. Today I tried making a drum recording in stereo using a large-diaphragm Behringer condenser panned right and a measurement microphone, from Behringer also, panned left.

Here are some clips, without any processing. (sorry about some of the sloppy playing):
stereodrum3.wav
stereodrum2.wav
stereodrum1.wav

I think I'm satisfied with how it recorded, but are there some obvious ways I could improve on it? Only other mic I have right now is a SM57, and I am considering getting the PG drum mic kit from Shure which is incredi-cheap and I've heard some good things about it.

Here is a crappy pic of the setup:
Attached Thumbnails
Cheapo stereo drum recording-webc-001.jpg  
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

...and here be a version with gratuitous amounts of plug-ins:

stereodrum3witheffects.wav

Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

If you want your drums to sound upfront and have impart, you'll have to at minimum mic the kick and snare. Another trick you might have read about on GS is using a speaker as mic on the kick drum in addition to a dynamic mic. Your SM57 wouldn't be awful on kick, but would probably be better suited to snare, as there are pretty mics for kick drums.

You recording has a nice tight dry almost "70's" sound to it, but it IS very small and if you want them to sound bigger, you'll need more mics. The room is also very important in getting big drum sounds, it sounds like you're in a pretty small, dead sounding room, if you record in a bigger space, you might notice how your drum sound gets "bigger". Hope this helps.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search