The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What does this need? Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Addict

What does this need?

Hey Everyone,

A pop/rock "Dance" tune for you.

I've been mixing this tune for awhile and I've run out of ideas. My monitoring setup is less than ideal so it involves a lot of guesswork. I'm now at a point where it doesn't sound "Bad" but still isn't knocking me out. (For what it is) Maybe I'm just tired of the song? Not that this is grammy material or anything...

The recording is less than stellar, but not horrible (IMO) and tone wise everything's sounding about as good as it's gonna (Still have some room on vocals though).

My questions I guess are about the "Gel". Are the drums poking too hard? or just right? Need more compression? or slower release of existing compression ? Drums are a close miced bus and an OV bus grouped to a master drum bus. The majority of compression is on the close Mic bus. Kick and snare is the main concern. The kick alternate with a layer of a 909 type in the chorus and a processed 808 type on the verses. Snare has Handclaps on the chorus layered. Struggling with the right level on that.

Next is the Bass. This one's been REAL tough for me. Is it too much? Overpowering in deep low end? Have enough mids for smaller speakers? It's a 6 string bass, with a keyboard bass layered on top during the verses. I've been kinda going for the real bass to handle the deepest lows, and the key bass line to take over in the upper register. Seems to work.

Last is the vocals. Last mix I heard the vox were muffled. They're clear now, but too harsh? Do they sound balanced?

Lastly, YES it's a dense arrangement with probably too much going on, but it's what I got. Any last minute production tips are welcome, as long as it doesn't require a HUGE change.

I'm about to put this to bed, so thought I'd ask for some "Professional" opinions.

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files

Crazy Master Last Try.mp3 (4.02 MB, 62 views)

Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search