The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Listen to this song if you want your ass blown out. Dynamics Plugins
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

Listen to this song if you want your ass blown out.

I'm pretty happy with my latest mix. Let me know if this indeed blows your ass out, or if it just plain blows.

I also would love to hear comments on the song as well--Good or bad. Thanks for listening.

http://www.undersanction.com/downloa...his Afraid.mp3

_
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

well I'm listening on my laptop speakers so can't really comment on mix. Instrumentally sounds good but the vocal is a bit tedious maybe try some effects on it to give it a little more interest.......don't know if it's ur intention to sound bored and disengaged but you still have to find a way to draw ur listener into the song.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by underSanction View Post
I'm pretty happy with my latest mix. Let me know if this indeed blows your ass out, or if it just plain blows.

I also would love to hear comments on the song as well--Good or bad. Thanks for listening.

http://www.undersanction.com/downloa...his Afraid.mp3

_
try hi passing the vocal to like 160 or 200 and slam the crap out of it with a good limiter(1176,TG) after the limiter boost some hi mids with a nice EQ say 1081 or 550 ..maybe add a bit of distortion in additon and you should be loving it.

are those real drums? Loops and real drums? Whats going on there? I like it

sounds cool kinda NIN ish
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post

try hi passing the vocal to like 160 or 200 and slam the crap out of it with a good limiter(1176,TG) after the limiter boost some hi mids with a nice EQ say 1081 or 550 ..maybe add a bit of distortion in additon and you should be loving it.

are those real drums? Loops and real drums? Whats going on there? I like it

sounds cool kinda NIN ish
Thanks for the post, yeah there may be a bit too much lows on the vocals...but I assure you they do not need any more compression. They are already slammed pretty good.

Yeah I tracked real drums and then looped some overdubs on top during the middle part.
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
well I'm listening on my laptop speakers so can't really comment on mix. Instrumentally sounds good but the vocal is a bit tedious maybe try some effects on it to give it a little more interest.......don't know if it's ur intention to sound bored and disengaged but you still have to find a way to draw ur listener into the song.
What effects would you use? I'm already using a plate and a room. I don't want to go overboard... but yes right now they are a little dry sounding.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

I like everything pretty good except for the vocals. It sounds like your singing through your nose the whole time, (I picture this white geeky Bill Gates type singing). Also more verb on the vox and some of that distortion you used on your vox at the end would help.

Also, the drums sound too flat they need more dimension and depth to them. Maybe tape a wallet on the snare and tape the heads of all the drums, (Among other things).

Just some ideas. I like the concept though I think the synth ideas and writing are really solid! Keep up the good work!
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgood View Post
I like everything pretty good except for the vocals. It sounds like your singing through your nose the whole time, (I picture this white geeky Bill Gates type singing). Also more verb on the vox and some of that distortion you used on your vox at the end would help.

Also, the drums sound too flat they need more dimension and depth to them. Maybe tape a wallet on the snare and tape the heads of all the drums, (Among other things).

Just some ideas. I like the concept though I think the synth ideas and writing are really solid! Keep up the good work!
Thanks for the input. Would you say your dislike of the vocals is based in performance or the recording / mix? Because I pretty much am a nerd. Not quite as awkward as Bill Gates though.

Also the distortion at the end is just screaming with extra verb, there's no additional effects to it compared to the rest of the track. So would you say you want to hear more screaming then?
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Nice mix.

The vocals need a bit of work in terms of pitching.
The verse lyric "No More" in both instance are quite flat- but quite a lot of the vocal tails are flat.
It sounds like you are shooting for a Reznor/Keenan type of sound- both those guys can pitch very well and their tone is smooth also.
You are in the ball-park but haven't nailed it yet.

Great songwriting- drums are lovely.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Have to pass. I just don't want my ass blown out...sorry.
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by underSanction View Post
Thanks for the input. Would you say your dislike of the vocals is based in performance or the recording / mix? Because I pretty much am a nerd. Not quite as awkward as Bill Gates though.

Also the distortion at the end is just screaming with extra verb, there's no additional effects to it compared to the rest of the track. So would you say you want to hear more screaming then?
No I understand, I'm a geek too! : ) But you don't want it to sound like that on the song. The song doesn't necessarily need more screaming but it does need more emotion from you. Listen to Broken by NIN and listen to how Trent spills his anger out as a beautiful vocal performance. There are a few flat notes her and there with your vocal performance but not too many. The only one that jumped out at me was the high note at around 2:07.

I can imagine more plate reverb, more distortion (From outboard) for the vocals and more phaser effects on some of the synths could add a lot of dimension. Think a lot about your panning, wide is good for stuff like this in my opinion if it's done right. Also consider tracking the drums and vocals to tape, (Even if that means using a tape deck and/or an SVHS - I know it sounds crazy just try it).

That's all I can think of for now, I hope this helps, again good work!
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

I can relate to this song. I like it. It reminds me a lot of God Lives Underwater--even the slightly nasal vocals. I don't mean to sound rude, but that just sounds like the vocalist's voice. I don't think it sounds bad, it sounds like a genuine real voice. I like that the vocals are rather dry. It seems more direct that way. I could picture maybe some trailing delay effects here and there on the voice, but not necessarily.

The only thing geeky to me were some of the lyrics and the cussing. Cussing always sounds weak to me unless the person sounds extremely raging angry. The other thing was that some of the lyrics sound better spoken than sung. But hey, I can't sing a single note, so I still look up to the vocalist for singing at all and in tune.

I like the overall composition and arrangement. There are some nice changes and varieties in the instruments and rhythm.

I just listened on headphones, so I don't know how it sounds on say a boombox or stereo, but the headphones mix is nice.

P.S.-I like God Lives Underwater... so it's a compliment to sound like them.
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

http://www.farts.netcarver.com/sounds/famous/nut.wav

Sorry... couldn't resist.

Totally agree about the swearing. Just not convincing enough. In fact the comment that the whole vocal performance needs more emotion was spot on.

The music is cool. I definitely get the NIN comparison. But when Trent sings, there's always an underlying fear that he is barely hanging on to sanity.

*checks ass*

Nope... no blowout.... Maybe tomorrow morning.
Old 1st September 2007
Here for the gear

Thanks for the comments. I'm not a fan of Trent Reznor's singing, so a comparison to him doesn't do much for me. But I get what you're saying... needs more emotion.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

If I actually did want my ass blown out, I'm not sure I would go looking for that on a public forum.

I would definitely want to meet the ass-blower first.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by softwareguy View Post
If I actually did want my ass blown out, I'm not sure I would go looking for that on a public forum.

I would definitely want to meet the ass-blower first.
Absolutely!!!! I am completely against these kinds of sick public displays.

Sincerely,

Senator Larry Craig (R-Idaho)

PS -- Is is quite a toe-tapper, though!
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

The vox is too hot (-2 to -3db)

Listening on laptop speakers.
Old 2nd September 2007
Love the drums !! great rhythms and patterns!
maybe a bit of more dimension...but may be a matter of taste!

Yeah I would say you may work a bit on the vocal eq and some effx for interest!

I like the song! great job!!

wht did you use on your mix ?
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Hallo there, pretty cool mix you have done
When you put the vocal aside there is nothing at all to say to it exept in the start it sounded as the rightspeaker keyboard stood a bit out in case of to high volume. In the midle bridge of the song I liked the sound of the vocal and all there is needed to be done is some work with some ambiences. I know it´s all a matter of taste but I hear the vocal to be much more ambience when being optimiced, maybe some distortion without maling it into a kliché.
Overall good work dude!

Anders
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
i have to say the drums, to me, are annoying. it sounds like the drummer is trying to show off too much and not moving the song- i especially don't like the doubled excited kick. the guy is obviously a good but i just don't like his busy busy style. the song sounds extremely derivative of the above mentioned groups- god lives underwater, lincoln park, etc. the singing was annoying in that "white boy hates world" sort of way, had no conviction and was not convincing. however, i am a harsh composition critic. i look for innovation or insight and i just didn't find much here. that doesn't mean your record couldn't be a hit or sell millions of copies and no "artist" should ever let someones critique squash their drive. if you are claiming that this song will "blow my ass out" you obviously arn't hurting in the moxie department. MySpace.com - Snuzz - Winston Salem, North Carolina - Alternative - www.myspace.com/snuzz
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
maybe a bit of more dimension...but may be a matter of taste!

Yeah I would say you may work a bit on the vocal eq and some effx for interest!

I like the song! great job!!

wht did you use on your mix ?
Thanks, I only used Vintage Warmer on the 2bus.
Old 3rd September 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by murergobben View Post
Hallo there, pretty cool mix you have done
When you put the vocal aside there is nothing at all to say to it exept in the start it sounded as the rightspeaker keyboard stood a bit out in case of to high volume. In the midle bridge of the song I liked the sound of the vocal and all there is needed to be done is some work with some ambiences. I know it´s all a matter of taste but I hear the vocal to be much more ambience when being optimiced, maybe some distortion without maling it into a kliché.
Overall good work dude!

Anders
Cool, yeah I think am going to play around with some spatial effects.
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Trilogy on this?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search