The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
METAL Band - "HELP ME, I dont sound Slutty Enough"
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

METAL Band - "HELP ME, I dont sound Slutty Enough"

EDIT: :::NEWER MIX AT BOTTOM OF PAGE:::

Hey here is a mix i have done for a band named Elsinore. Its my first most successful band (in terms of notoriety) i have recorded, but i feel theres some things really not right with this mix. I would really welcome pointers on this.

Bring it on!!!!!!! (Sticks and stones will break my bones...haha)
Attached Files

1. Elsinore -MSTR v2.5.mp3 (3.20 MB, 112 views)

Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

Cmon someone!" (voiceover commercial) Are you having a bad day? Let it out on Gearslutz!"
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Im no expert, at all. That snare sample just doesn't sit right with me though
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

I'm with not liking that snare as well. As pissed off as this tune is, it needs to crack, and instead it sounds tentative.

Aside from that there are some EQ issues with the mix. I did a few DB's cut in Winamp from 300 to 1000 hz, with emphasis around 300. And it helped. A lot. I pulled 300 and 600 hz down 6db's each....

That intro needs the same cut as well. That damn near hurts my ears with that EQ spike there. It doesn't blend well as it fades into the tune.

As far as details, there's a guitar panned hard left that feeds back at 49 seconds, and again a couple seconds thereafter. If it's intentional, it needs to come down a few db's, or get longer to be a part of the Cookie Monster extravaganza. Otherwise I would just pull it out.

For this genre the mix sounds good, I like the sub hits, and blast beats. But that snare needs some crack, and some variation.

This wouldn't be on rotation on my iPod, but a few EQ issues, and you're gonna be golden.

Of course I could have Van Gogh's ear for music....

heh
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Maniac

+1 on the snare crack.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks for the the most perfect feedback. i took every bit of advice and applied it to this mix somewhat. i had 3 different snares going on,so i took one of them out, and i brought the compressed snare sends down a tad, and pumped the dry signal a bit harder on the sound replaced snares.

For the EQ,i found those problem frequencies you mentioned (300hz-600hz) muddying my mix, so i took about -3 in those areas on guitar Master channel, and On he actual Master channel i took away about -2.5 in those frequency areas. By the way the guitar feedback was intentional,but it i a bit monotonous, so i brought it down a bit.

i think already the mix sounds way more precise and defined in the lower and upper areas. Crazy the difference it makes. With the beginning going into the big part, i think i have attained a better transition now.

Thank you so much, your advice really has helped me alot,slutters!. If you still feel this mix needs help in mixing stage, please feel free to shout your opinion!
Attached Files

1. Elsinore -MSTR v2.6.mp3 (3.17 MB, 64 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search