The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A couple of early jazz-fusiony tunes
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

A couple of early jazz-fusiony tunes

I'm sharing some music I've done. This originated in another thread on Keith Jarrett's rudeness that went way askew.

This is a song called "An Uncommon Prayer" that was recorded way back in 1998 on Adats. 2nd CD from my first studio. 4th CD overall. Pretty much all live. Detrik DeGeer micss on drum OHs. Unfortunately the MP3 here has really screwed with it. Evil Twin/GML on bass. I don't remember much else!

I'm playing guitar. The star of this track is the drummer Alan Hall. Nelson Braxton is on bass, John R. Burr on keyboards and Darius Babazadeh on soprano.

I wrote this in Vienna, sitting in a bar, without an instrument. Living two doors down from Beethovens residence!
Attached Files

5 An Uncommon Prayer.aiff.mp3 (4.04 MB, 2019 views)

Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Once A Gaucho

Butterfly had asked about me playing a ballad. This is not what he meant, I don't think. But this is a ballad I wrote. From "When Fortresses Fall" - 1st project from my first studio.

Joe Gilman piano, Rick Lotter drums, Darryl C. Anders bass and Carey Avery percussion. Steve Stizzo accordian.

I have not shared any of my music here before. I was thinking how silly that is. So please excuse my impertinence!

Now I'm playing pretty much straight ahead jazz. I want to get back into writing doing more and put out another couple of CDs. Some new stuff!

Let me know. But be kind.
Attached Files

Once A Gaucho.mp3 (4.67 MB, 1841 views)

Old 29th August 2007
Gear Guru

Cloud Bursting

This is one I kind of like, but never got as much attention as some of my other tunes. From "When Fortresses Fall." Jeff Chimenti on keyboards, who's now with the Dead and Ratdog. Or maybe not the Dead any more . . .

OK. I'm done.
Attached Files

4 Cloud Bursting.aiff.mp3 (3.33 MB, 1665 views)

Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

What no rap? Just kidding but you should let me rap over it next time your in Jersey!

MC Blind

P.S. I almost forgot to say, your songs sound killa man. You need to post regular old mp3's at 194 tho bro.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

Rap huh? I'd love to. Create some thunderous jazz undercurent and go crazy on top and inbetween with some rhythm all sideways. I'd love that.

Thanks for the compliment.

192? I was trying to save space. Files too big. Thanks for the tip. I know nothing about MP3s.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Whoops you got me, I meant 192. You can use free websites to host mp3's that are longer. Just Google - free mp3 hosting and you'll find a bunch that will let you host big files for free. Keep up that great playing and let me know when you comin out to the East Coast.

MC Blind
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Nut

Hi there, nice tunes!
It reminds me of the days I attended the musical institute I was playing stuff like this, now I am in a completely different direction.
I like your sound and your expression, this sort of music can also be great.
Thanks for reminding me
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Guru

murergobben -

Thanks! Where did you go to the Musical Institute? I taught at one in Vienna in the mid 90s. Oh, you mean MI in LA? I taught at the American Institute of Music, (AIM) that was based on those schools. It's no longer.

Well thanks regarding ths tunes. They old now and dated. But I did them and I still like them.
Old 31st August 2007
Lives for gear

Yip henry takes me back to the good old days of grp records......and the first tune has that metheny vibe. Great arrangements, performances. Impressed you recorded them as well....I think that's something corea, metheny et all can't claim....you should be very proud. Back in the 90's this kind of stuff was really my thing so it's great to hear it again straight from the horses' mouth. I think you really should do another cd that reflects where u are now...go for it!
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Nut

Hi again henry I went in a town called Kolding in Denmark so not in LA - sadly I had to dropout because I couldnt keep up with both working as a bricklayer and studying but it dosnt matter, maybe it wasnt me. I´m planning to educate as a sound engineer now and will maybe try to get in at the academy in Copenhagen.
Are you also producing music today or are you just playing?
Nice weekend
Anders
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly View Post
Yip henry takes me back to the good old days of grp records......and the first tune has that metheny vibe. Great arrangements, performances. Impressed you recorded them as well....I think that's something corea, metheny et all can't claim....you should be very proud. Back in the 90's this kind of stuff was really my thing so it's great to hear it again straight from the horses' mouth. I think you really should do another cd that reflects where u are now...go for it!
Thanks for the kind words!!Necessity is the mother of invention. The only reason Corea and Metheny didn't engineer their own CD was because they didn't HAVE TO! It's hard. I'm much rather have had a crew like they do. But you know . . .

I definitely want to record another couple or three or four that reflect the various parts of my points of views now. It's just finding the time. I started putting my studio together for the same reasons everyone else did. More control over my music. But getting side tracked into technical stuff and gear acquisition as well as life and family takes time away from the focus. Or the goal gets out of focus! I just need to spend some time to write music. That's what it comes down to. Everything else follows from that.

Thanks. I am proud I suppose. I don't listen to me. Putting these songs and snippets up has kind of been fun because it reminds me what I do. I haven't heard any of this stuff for a very long time! Not bad. It's old though. From another life . . .
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by murergobben View Post
Hi again henry I went in a town called Kolding in Denmark so not in LA - sadly I had to dropout because I couldnt keep up with both working as a bricklayer and studying but it dosnt matter, maybe it wasnt me. I´m planning to educate as a sound engineer now and will maybe try to get in at the academy in Copenhagen.
Are you also producing music today or are you just playing?
Nice weekend
Anders
Now? I'm playing as much as I can. Not a huge demand for jazz. I do some remote recording. I teach guitar and music at a community college. Some producing. We have a small but surprisingly very good jazz community here in Sacramento and surrounding environs. It's hidden, unfortunately. But the community is supportive. My wife is supportive. My kids are supportive. People know and respect me. I respect them. Who could ask for more?

Yeah, you have a nice weekend too!
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Big jazz hound here, and that was a treat!!! VERY much enjoyed!!!

Thanks for posting these.

Jay
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Guru

Thanks a lot~
Old 1st September 2007
Baz
Lives for gear

This is top shelf music, Henry
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Guru

Thank you very much!

Can someone explain something for me? How can I have 1061, 1202 and 858 listens on three different songs and only have 147 or so views of this thread? I think something is broken.
Old 12th September 2007
500 series nutjob

very nice Henry!!!!!!!!!!
thanks
for sharing!
Old 12th September 2007
Gear Guru

Thanks Pan60!!! Very much appreciated!
Old 11th September 2008
Lives for gear

thumbsup Very Nice. Did you ever get that Derek Trucks cd?
Old 11th September 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
thumbsup Very Nice. Did you ever get that Derek Trucks cd?
Thank you!

Hm. Now I'm confused. i have a Trucks DVD of a live performance with his band, but I haven't gotten a CD, yet.
Old 17th September 2008
Lives for gear

There was a thread a while back where folks were wondering where all the good new music was. I suggested that you get the newest Derek Trucks Band cd "Songlines" (not the DVD), and if you didn't like it, I'd buy it from you... offer still stands!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search