The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Alternative/New Rock ITB mix
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Alternative/New Rock ITB mix

Hi to all you gearslutz,

I'd like you to give me some input on this mix:

Adam song

It was made in the box on a soundscape 16.
How's the bass?? Is it too loud?
What about the overheads of the drums?
Is something missing?

Do you like the dynamics? (I don't want to smash it any further...)

Thanks for your answers

Florian
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Pretty nice mix. The overall lowen might be a bit much.

This would sound a bit boomy in my car, i can just tell..

Though it is pretty tight lowend, so..

Overall its a nice, clean sounding peice of work. Good dynamics.

I personally might try to rev it up more with more compression and
some distortion. Maybe try to give the lead vocal more excitment
and impact somehow. Maybe automate some parrallel compresion on the overheads/room
mics in the chorus's.
You do good work dude. Nice job.
TK
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Hey Todd,

Thanks for the input.
I'll try to give some excitment to the voice. Does it lack a lot?
And I will listen again to the OH's in the chorus......

Florian
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Anybody else feel free to comment ..... heh
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

I did a new version with bit more drums:
Adam Song

Please give me some feedback........
Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

Come on.....

97 reads and 1 reply???
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

listened to the first mix, sounds good. not too boomy on my kenwoods with loudness all the way up (its pretty close to how my car sounded).
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

Thanks Kyle!
Old 1st September 2007
Lives for gear

very powerfull mix. Sounds great overall. I would eq the bass gtr different , it's too dominant in the verse
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for listening, allen.

Would it be enough to make the voice a bit louder in the verse? Or do you think the bass gtr is too dominant in general?
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Maniac

Hey the mix sounds good but to me it sounds very thin and too ambient, plenty of top and bottom to fill up the sound when its turned up but nothing to keep it sounding big when its heard at a low level ...

Maybe a good mastering engineer would be able to point you in the right direction on what frequencies could give you a bigger sound.

Bass is a little be too high in the mix IMO

Vocals need to be brought forward abit but not too much. sounds very ambient atm.

I apologise if u think diff to any of that lol, that jus what I hear when I listened to it on my studio monitors.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Hey 8ball,

thanks for listening!
I agree with you, that it lacks a bit when listened at low levels, but that's due to less compression in the mastering stage. I like this kind of dynamic and open sound.

I know that this kind of music is squashed to death today..... Maybe we should give a bit more loudness.......gonna check that out!
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Nut

Hey Florian, nice piece of recording you have done - I like the massive guitars!
If I should give you some constructive critism I hear the hihat and the ridecymbals with a bit too much pressence. It could also be fun to listen to a litle more trying out in the stereoperspective especially in the verse which could make it more interesting. The vocal is ok, Just miss it to be a bit more on the ground with a litle more pressence. In the verse it sounds as he sit up in a tree or on top of the other elements which can be ok. The 2. part vocaleffect in the chorus is ok but could need some more pressence. But overall I think it sounds wery good. But when I´m listening to my studio monitors it propably sounds different than when you listen to yours and it´s all a matter of taste.
Hope this can be of any hope
Anders
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Head

Hey Anders,

Thanks for listening and your input!
Good point with the stereo in the verse...... gonna try that out!

The thing with the presence is kind of hard...... When I listen to it in my car it is a bit too much of presence.... When I listen on different system it's sometimes a bit low.....
But I think you're right and am gonna take it out a bit......

Florian
Old 2nd September 2007

I think the vocals could be louder overall maybe 1db, especially in the chorus'. I think the yelling part might sound cool with distortion even if slight distortion to make it really in your face sounding, as well as being louder.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search