The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
my first mix, Pretty good no?(mp3) Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

my first mix, Pretty good no?(mp3)

First, the track..

http://www.oteampress.com/ozonelair/...eGreenDoor.mp3

Hello gearfrends, I have been reading over this board for some time now and fooling around with a Firepod and Sonar. I finally was able to give away studio time to a local band that I met after one of my bands shows.

We did 4 songs in about 8 hours. Only pre-amp I am using is the Firepod. Below is a list of mics I used while tracking each instrument and their panning. Other than the panning, I left every track level at 0 and mixed it down. I then burned to CD using Nero and let Nero 'Normalize all tracks' when it burned. Then ripped that CD track to MP3 and uploaded to my site.

Knowing what you now know, what do you think of the mix? What kind of things would you do to make it sound a bit more full/professional.

I personally am very happy with the way this track has already turned out. The musicians were great it sounds very clean, but I think it could still use a little tweaking to give it a good album sound.

Drum Mics
- 2 DR-HX1 condensers overhead Pan Hard R and L
- 2 DR-STX1 under toms Pan Hard R and L
- 1 DR-KX1 kick drum mic
- 1 M-Audio condenser on the snare/hi hat

Bass Mics
- SM58
- DR-KX1
- Direct Line

Guitar Mics x2 takes
- SM58
- DR-STX1 @4ft
- DR-HX1 @ 6ft

- Bret
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Guru

For your first recording it sounds GOOD! There are a million things you could do, but just one tip is to put some verb on the drums.
Now go record 1000 more times and you will be a pro at it.

Glenn
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfipie View Post
For your first recording it sounds GOOD!
thats pretty great to hear.

I've never put any reverb on drums. I did some mixing last night, sent the drum tracks to their own bus and did some light compression which seemed to make them a big larger and airy and sound more like a single unit than lots of separate tracks...but no verb*

Could you give me some more info about reverb on the drum tracks, how much reverb are we talking, what kind of reverb, etc.

Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

kris... :(
Old 28th August 2007
Lives for gear

Sorry I thought you loaded up a great track of dead air, but the issue was my dumb ass... anyways, the track sounds really nice and the band rocks! Will there be vocals or is it just instrumental?
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris View Post
Sorry I thought you loaded up a great track of dead air, but the issue was my dumb ass... anyways, the track sounds really nice and the band rocks! Will there be vocals or is it just instrumental?
lol oh, I thought you had listened and were talking about my panning of things as the '
space'

anyway, there are no vocals, at least that I know of. I am really excited to get a band in that has a vocalist tho, I've been working with a hip hop artist that lays down some great vocal tracks, but I am interested in mixing vocals over some instruments for real. Hopefully this really talented punk band comes in soon.
Old 28th August 2007
Gear Maniac

hey, i think this sounds amazing. i'd happily buy the record. i would maybe compress it less to make it breath more and give it a more live feel. but the sound and the general mix are great.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by willythekid View Post
hey, i think this sounds amazing. i'd happily buy the record. i would maybe compress it less to make it breath more and give it a more live feel. but the sound and the general mix are great.
There is no compression on that mix. no EQ, no compression, just fading guitar tracks left and right, drum overhead left and right, and all levels set at 0 on the mixer.
Old 29th August 2007
Gear Head

***UPDATED MIX***

http://www.13daymission.com/music/TheGreenDoor.002.mp3

Ok, for this mix I did some small EQ on almost every track to try and place the different instruments into different spectrums of the sound.

I also put some light reverb on the two drum mics that I placed under the set/toms. It definitely sounds more mixed and IMO you can hear each piece pretty well...but still doesnt feel as fat as I think it could get...what kind of things could I do to make the sound more full/breath?

Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

Well it's a pretty natural, unhyped sounding. Whatever your stance is on the matter, that seems to be an unpopular production style these days, even in Indie Rock. I've become unused to hearing a snare drum that sounds like a snare drum these days! Snare and Toms are a little thin and one dimensional for my tastes, but by no means bad.

Sonically, sounds as good as some indie releases from a while back (and no doubt better than a band like Pavement!)... except for that bass guitar... a little bulbous, upfront and out of control in spots.

Otherwise, good work! They play well together too, which helps make things easier. Keep at it!
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

nice work

compression......but awsome work dude
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
Well it's a pretty natural, unhyped sounding. Whatever your stance is on the matter, that seems to be an unpopular production style these days, even in Indie Rock. I've become unused to hearing a snare drum that sounds like a snare drum these days! Snare and Toms are a little thin and one dimensional for my tastes, but by no means bad.

Sonically, sounds as good as some indie releases from a while back (and no doubt better than a band like Pavement!)... except for that bass guitar... a little bulbous, upfront and out of control in spots.

Otherwise, good work! They play well together too, which helps make things easier. Keep at it!
Thanks for the reply. I agree the snare and toms sound a bit thin, all the reverb I have tried with them tho just ends up making them sound....like they have reverb on them. I havnt found a 'natural' setting for the verb, any ideas on expanding those drums?

Also what do you mean by "the bass seems bulbous and out of control"

I think the bass should stand out on the high end but not so much that its distracting.

They do play well together, tracking was great as they all knew their instruments and the songs very well.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
compression......but awsome work dude
thanks, compression sounds nice...but on what? the whole mix? just the drums? fast attack slow release? slow attack slow release?

Old 31st August 2007
Gear Head

OK new mix uploaded

http://www.13daymission.com/music/TheGreenDoor.003.mp3

I found something pleasant called Multiband , I worked that slightly on all the drum and guitar tracks, I also tried out this fancy SSL plugin on the Overhead drum tracks and it really livened up the mix. I think its getting there but still not quite there
Old 8th October 2007
Gear Head

I finished mixing the song, its sounds really good, especially take note of the minute 4:30->end, you can hear every drum, every bass line, every guitar note...makes me rly happy to listen to

http://www.oteampress.com/ozonelair/...enDoor.004.mp3

also here are two other tracks I recorded with them

http://www.oteampress.com/ozonelair/...erPond.002.mp3

http://www.oteampress.com/ozonelair/CrimsonSky.001.mp3

pls let me know what you think from an engineer side of things.
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

I prefered the drums sounding natural though they were very plain.

If I were you I'd rethink the choice of guitar delay, it's really lagging and sounds a bit cheap.

Good effort for a first mix though, well done!

Last edited by china jam; 9th October 2007 at 02:32 AM.. Reason: ocd
Old 9th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by china jam View Post
I prefered the drums sounding natural though they were very plain.
I am not sure I understand what you mean, do the drums not sound natural in these mixes? I tried not to put too much 'effects' on the drums because I didnt want them to sound all effected.

Quote:
If I were you I'd rethink the choice of guitar delay, it's really lagging and sounds a bit cheap.
The delay was the guitarists Boss DD-6, I added no delay to the tracks. Only some light reverb to the guitar tracks to make them a bit larger

Thanks for the listen
Old 9th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oradii View Post
I am not sure I understand what you mean, do the drums not sound natural in these mixes? I tried not to put too much 'effects' on the drums because I didnt want them to sound all effected.
I was saying I prefered how you had the drums before you did this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by oradii View Post
I found something pleasant called Multiband , I worked that slightly on all the drum and guitar tracks, I also tried out this fancy SSL plugin on the Overhead drum tracks and it really livened up the mix. I think its getting there but still not quite there
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Head

Hey this sounds flippin brilliant, very haunting and tight. I like the drum sounds. Brilliant band too btw.... Looking for vocalist? Lyrics?

If this is your first mix, jsut think how good you will be in a year's time!! Wish my first mix had been this good Excellent!!

AJ
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Hey Bret,

Nice job on the tune. I hope you don't mind but for the fun of it I took your mp3 and tossed it into my DAW to mess with. First, your 3nd posted mp3 link is what I used since the 4th one was dead. Your mp3 was very hot, in fact +4 at most points, so you were introducing distortion. You'll notice how full the drums sound in the front and then almost disappear in the more powerful spots...to much compression.

I put some UA plug ins on your file and for 'gooder, badder or uglayer' here is what I came up with

http://creativesoundimages.com/mp3/New_File.mp3

I really felt bad taking your mp3 turning it into a 16 bit file and then a mp3 again...in most states that is illegal. Hope you like it. If not, I am ok with that too!

Keep recording!
Old 11th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
I was saying I prefered how you had the drums before you did this...
ahh, i feel what you are saying. im going ot give it a few days and revisit the drums from scratch, the SSL thing seems to sound pretty good on the overheads but only when in the full mix, but soloing the overheads it does NOT sound like drums
Old 11th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesiacjimmy View Post
Hey this sounds flippin brilliant, very haunting and tight. I like the drum sounds. Brilliant band too btw.... Looking for vocalist? Lyrics?

If this is your first mix, jsut think how good you will be in a year's time!! Wish my first mix had been this good Excellent!!

AJ
AJ thanks for the kind words. The band writes some really great stuff, I am not sure if they plan to add vocals or not but they are definitely working on more instruments, they currently have a keys player with them and trying to get a steady extra percussionist.

and im pretty stoked for 1 year from now myself, hopefully i'll have leveled up enough to start charging people and buy some outboard gear!
Old 11th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiking View Post
Hey Bret,

Nice job on the tune. I hope you don't mind but for the fun of it I took your mp3 and tossed it into my DAW to mess with. First, your 3nd posted mp3 link is what I used since the 4th one was dead. Your mp3 was very hot, in fact +4 at most points, so you were introducing distortion. You'll notice how full the drums sound in the front and then almost disappear in the more powerful spots...to much compression.

I put some UA plug ins on your file and for 'gooder, badder or uglayer' here is what I came up with

I really felt bad taking your mp3 turning it into a 16 bit file and then a mp3 again...in most states that is illegal. Hope you like it. If not, I am ok with that too!

Keep recording!
first, OMFG i cant believe i did that again, im terrible at creating working links...here are those three songs that had dead links for anyone interested.

http://www.oteampress.com/ozonelair/...enDoor.004.mp3
http://www.oteampress.com/ozonelair/...sonSky.001.mp3
http://www.oteampress.com/ozonelair/...erPond.002.mp3
Old 11th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by csiking View Post
Hey Bret,

Keep recording!
secondly, i'll listen to what you did with that mp3 and get back to you

but please take a listen to the TheGreenDoor.004 because it is much better than .003 in my opinion. The drums sounds a lot cleaner in the more powerful sections.
Old 11th October 2007
Lives for gear

Yep the new post is much better. I'll toss this in and mess with it too. I'll tell you when it's reposted.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search