The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
a first
Old 25th August 2007
Gear Nut

a first

Hey all, I just got done doing a recording with my friend. He played the drums and it was my first time recording anyone besides myself.

I know the recording isn't great or anything, but if any experienced engineer could listen to this mp3 and let me know how I could improve my mixing, that would be awesome.

This song was recorded in a bedroom with no treatment unfortunately. Any input? thanks in advance!
Attached Files

chood3.mp3 (1.59 MB, 109 views)

Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

Bump. lol.

Just curious how I could make this track better. What should I eq differently? How can I fix that compression? levels? any input would help
thanks ya much. This was just a sample song for practice
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

The most obvious things to me are the lack of any kind of punch from the bass drum, Its just not getting through at all. Also the short decay on the reverb/ delay on the right ryth-gtr is really annoying after a while.

I'd also try panning the lead gtr to the left 20-30% instead of right as its getting stood on by your strumming gtr, and it's really weighing down the stereo image.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

I noticed that annoyingness as well. I have the rhythm panned hard right and left. Should I put the same amount of delay on both left and right? Also, I can't seem to get the bass drum to pop through. I tried adding some 80-100hz...maybe it needs more? I don't want it to interfere with the bass though. As of now, the lead guitar is panned at 60 left and 60 right, so ill try putting them both to one side you say?

Maybe its because the bass drum is a piece of crap..... lol

The bass drum is probably not even worth 5 dollars....actually the whole kit is probably worth that, except the dw snare
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggun1234 View Post
I noticed that annoyingness as well. I have the rhythm panned hard right and left. Should I put the same amount of delay on both left and right? Also, I can't seem to get the bass drum to pop through. I tried adding some 80-100hz...maybe it needs more? I don't want it to interfere with the bass though. As of now, the lead guitar is panned at 60 left and 60 right, so ill try putting them both to one side you say?

Maybe its because the bass drum is a piece of crap..... lol

The bass drum is probably not even worth 5 dollars....actually the whole kit is probably worth that, except the dw snare
\

You could use a sample to supliment the bass drum.

As for the delay on the guitar, i'd tone the mix % of the delay down a bit. Sounds kind high. That might help, unless you recorded it with delay... incase case you'll need to suffer with it. If not, try a nice verb with a short decay instead... Stereo delays can mess up the imaging when you start hard panning things.

When you say the rythm gtr's are panned hard left/right you mean the strumming gtr is right and the other gtr playing the arp-melody is left? I only heard the strumming gtr on the right side, but I'm on earbuds at work here... Try panning it at about 60-70% right instead, the mix is pretty sparse so you might as well use some more realestate.

Hard panning works great for multi-tracking heavy guitars and getting a big fat sound, but it can be overkill for strummed cleanish electric IMO, unless your going for a particular effect or trying to free up one side for something else.
Old 27th August 2007
Gear Nut

hey blister thanks alot man! I think it sounds a ton better. I also toned down the compression on the final track. what do u think thus far?

heres the new sample
Attached Files

hoodc4.mp3 (1.62 MB, 62 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search