The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Slow rock song - How does this heaphone mix translate
Old 23rd August 2007
Lives for gear

Slow rock song - How does this heaphone mix translate

Here's a slow rock song I just mixed on headphones.

I'm without monitors for a while, so let me know how it translates please.

It's hard to balance levels in headphones, so help a guy out and give it listen.

http://red5sytems.com/waterloo-mix5.mp3

Thanks.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Nobody? It's sounds like a cross between Wilco, Radiohead and the Fleetwood Mac. Ok, not really, but you might like it.
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear
It sounds like a headphone mix. A dead give away is the reverb and effects. I can never set delay and verb correctly just using headphones. When you get a set of monitors, remix it, you will hear things differently.
Old 24th August 2007
Gear Nut

Vocals need to be louder. Maybe the guitar fill could be taken out for part of the song, I think. Just to showcase the vocals and give a wider range of dynamics within the song. I like it. Good enough for the girls I go with.

With headphones, maybe try lowering volume/effect just until it's still noticeable the way you want it. Try lowering the delay until you can't hear it the way you want, and then notch it up just enough so you can hear it again.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadJones View Post
It sounds like a headphone mix. A dead give away is the reverb and effects. I can never set delay and verb correctly just using headphones. When you get a set of monitors, remix it, you will hear things differently.
Thanks for the input. Which effects in particular are overdone? I ask because the guitar has a lot of reverb. It was recorded that way. The snare, vocals and room reverb I can fix if they're too much.
Old 25th August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by reallyjake View Post
Vocals need to be louder. Maybe the guitar fill could be taken out for part of the song, I think. Just to showcase the vocals and give a wider range of dynamics within the song. I like it. Good enough for the girls I go with.

With headphones, maybe try lowering volume/effect just until it's still noticeable the way you want it. Try lowering the delay until you can't hear it the way you want, and then notch it up just enough so you can hear it again.
Thanks, glad it was good enough for the ladies :-) I agree with your assessment of the vox and lead guitar. A little more space to breath would be nice. The singer keeps vetoing me on the volume of the vox, so we'll see how that goes. These guys have some strong opinions on how they want things to sound. Overall, I think it's pretty good, though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search