The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
testing tannoy reveal passives - help with evaluation please?
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

testing tannoy reveal passives - help with evaluation please?

Borrowed Tannoy reveal passives and made a quick re-mix of an old project to test them out - didn´t think I would like them at all, but they felt quite OK.. Have to evaluate them for a while longer before i decide.

What do you think of the result - a bit thin? harsch? boomy?
Attached Files

test-01.mp3 (3.34 MB, 686 views)

Old 22nd August 2007
Vocals sound too high mids heavy around 1-3k.
Whole mix is a tad high mids heavy.
Vocals dynamics need tamed with volume automation or more compression.

Lacks in the low mids a bit also Im sure.

Hope this helps in some way.
Eck
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

It helps a lot - thank you! Your input is invaluable.

I became worried my mix would be too dull when I was finished with it, so I boosted the whole mix at around 5 and 10 khz - which I shouldn´t have it seems!

I also have a feeling that the mix lacks a bit at the very deep end... or?
Old 23rd August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr jkn View Post
It helps a lot - thank you! Your input is invaluable.

I became worried my mix would be too dull when I was finished with it, so I boosted the whole mix at around 5 and 10 khz - which I shouldn't have it seems!

I also have a feeling that the mix lacks a bit at the very deep end... or?
Yeah I was going to say the lows are lacking a tad around 60-150Hz roughly, but I wasn't sure if that was because there were too many high mids, and not enough around 290Hz (roughly).
Its hard to say exactly which frequency ranges when listening to a mix, but those are rough starting points.

Send a new mix in this thread once you have it ready.
Remember to use commercial reference mixes (of similar sound) when mixing, will help you get used to your monitors a lot quicker.

Eck
Old 24th August 2007
Lives for gear

Had some sparetime and made some adjustments.. did not compress or limit the mixbuss this time, so you have to crank this one up..

I´ve found the reveals a bit "papery" and accentuated in the low mids - I really like this monitor otherwise - it´s non fatiguing yet "revealing" , but the low mids worries me. Maybe I should borrow a set Precision 6 and see if I like them better - never thought I would use and like Tannoys...

well, well please take a listen
Attached Files

test-01 ver2 without limiter.mp3 (3.34 MB, 645 views)

Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

I think you went too far the other direction with the second mix. I like the first mix, but agree that maybe certain elements had too much presence or top end. But that's also the energy that drives the song. Maybe with the first mix , you could tame the background vocals and the guitar, but just a hair on the guitar. Then throw in the low end you achieved with the second mix. Maybe a cool bass riff would fill it out?
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

Thank you once again for helping me out!

Yeah I think went I too far in the opposite direction with mix, reallyjake. Which actually feels a bit reassuring because my intention was to soften up the mix. ..and ta-dah! the monitors seems to translate quite ok onto other systems.

I´m still worried the monitors pronounce the low mid too much..
Old 27th August 2007
I like the new mix.
The vocals tend to stick out too much still at times. Maybe lay off the low mids in the vocals a little and use volume automation to tame certain parts of the vocals.

Sounds good to me apart from the vocals as I mentioned.
Sounds pretty close to pro mixes of similar genre.

Well done,
Eck

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search