The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mesa Boogie Dual Rec - Need Advice Dynamic Microphones
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Mesa Boogie Dual Rec - Need Advice

So I have been getting a bit better at placement and settings but still need a lot guidance.

Here are 2 30 second clips from a song that I am doing. I have no eq or compression on the guitars. Drums are just BFD (no eq or compression) I'm trying to get a guitar tone similar to Disturbed, Within Temptation, Breaking Benjamin, etc.

Here is just the guitar:

http://www.upload.celtiaproductions....justguitar.mp3

Here with Hardcore Bass and BFD

http://www.upload.celtiaproductions....artestsong.mp3

I used a Mesa Dual Rec with a Mesa Cabinet. Micd with a sm57 straight very close to the center.

Can anyone please help me on rating this guitar sound and possibly helping me in getting a better tone??
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

Hi there,
well the basics are allright. You definetly need to cut alot of bass from the guitars. This really gets muddy. The mic plasement as i hearis fine.
But try giving the left and right channel one overdub more on guitars.
Try adding a LITTLE more gain on the amp. And are you recording in modern or vintage mode? It sounds like modern but vindtage can sometimes create a better mid-texture in the sound.
good luck!

PS: Try comping and eqing and reverbing the drums first so you can determine how the guitars are gonna sound like in the end mix.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Another thought

Try recording another track or splitting before hitting the amp, adding it as a acoustic track low in the mix. It can add a little sparkle to the high end, and add some pick definition. Lamb of God actually did a bit for their album Ashes of the Wake. The beauty is unless someone pointed it out, you might never pick up on it. Or another approach could be adding another track with the gain pulled back a whole bunch to try and achieve the definition but still maintain the bad ass gain stage of the main distorted tracks. I like the sound you have going. I would have guessed it was a POD or Amplitube or something of the like. Nice and clean, but still distorted.

Just my two cents.

-ScottyD
Old 22nd August 2007
Nice guitar tone man.
Well done.
It sounds a bit too direct for my liking.
What was your set up for recording the guitars?
Maybe try backing the mic away from the speaker a tad for a less direct sound. Also you could try angling the mic more. I've heard that angling the mic 45 degrees to the speaker grill can produce less compression in the mic capsule which could in turn produce a less direct, deeper sound.

Not sure I'd agree with adding more gain, seems you have enough gain.
I'd say your tone is pretty dang nice. But I'd try out different mics and positions till you get a great tone with 1 mic, then add in more mics, and try mixing them together. Sometimes less is more, and sometimes less is less. :D

I do agree that the low mids will need to be cut somewhat at the mixing stage, but they sound fine for an unprocessed guitar.

Eck
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone for the feedback!

I am using steven slate drums and Back with using some of your suggestions:

Still need help in obtaining a strong disturbed, 3 days grace type guitar sound. Which of the two clips is better sounding? I feel like the 5150 clip the guitars sound muddy.

Here is just mesa boogie 3rd channel modern

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproducti...esteqqbert.wav

And here it is 2 tracks mesa and 2 tracks 5150

http://www.sneapforum.celtiaproducti...turbed5150.wav

Still need advice. I am running the guitars to a group channel with slight eq and the mix buss has gclip, some eq, and voxengo elphant.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search