The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Heavy Metalcore Song Needs Critique Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Heavy Metalcore Song Needs Critique

I've gained almost all of my music engineering knowledge by reading this forum over the past 2 years and have just recently started posting comments. I thought it was about time to post some of my work in order to justify myself as a somewhat credible member of this forum. However my main reason for posting this song is to gain some constructive criticism as well. This is a new song I recently recorded for my band so please try not to be too brutal.
Sucker Punch.mp3
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Yes

Dude. I'm a metalhead, so I'm baised. It's sweet. It's like a Chimaira meets Devildriver meets Lamb of God. Hook me up with some more!

-ScottyD
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Maniac

Did you Drumagog the bass drum? Cuz if not, tell me how you pulled it out like that?

-ScottyD
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

I triggered the bass drum with an Alesis DM5. It's the only "fake" track on the song, I like to mic everything else on the drum kit. I appreciate the comparison to Chimaira meets Devildriver meets Lamb of God, those are some of my favorite bands. I have some old stuff posted on my bands myspace page MySpace.com - LOCKJAW - BURLESON, FORT WORTH, Texas - Metal / Rock / Progressive - www.myspace.com/lockjawlive . Those songs were recorded over a year ago so the sound quality isn't as good as the one I posted here. Everyone in my band is either married or might as well be so we write very slow.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Nut

I know this style of music is not very popular on this forum but I was hoping that there were more metal heads besides ScottyD. Even if this isn't your cup of tea I would like to get some feedback that might help me improve my mix.
Old 22nd August 2007
Gear Head

Don´t listen that much to these kind of things but it happens on occassion, I had hundreds of metal albums back in the days. I can only say that I find this clip tightly performed, the sound and production is absolutely good enough and the band is swinging. If there´s anything I´d personally adress it would be the snare, to make it bite a bit more, giving it a more physical/aggressive sensation.
Old 23rd August 2007
Gear Head

Thumbs up OH YEAH!!!!!

Damn!!!! This makes me want to get on my mixing desk and stagedive off of it. Nice track, man. Kind of brings back memories of the Dallas Ozzfest. Like the other dude said....those bands he mentioned. Not so much like Lamb of God, but more like Devil Driver. But, I think your band has its own style; which is a good thing. Anyway, the sounds where very good. The mix was good. The only thing I could not hear well was the bass guitar. Mind you I am hearing this on cheap computer speakers, but most people will hear your mp3s on these. I usually have another monitor out going to a cheesy pair of speakers. It helps out a lot. All in all, I think you did a very nice job. Hope to see your band at Ozzfest one day.
Old 23rd August 2007
Village Idiot

I would go at least 192 on the mp3 and post again.

Gustav
Old 2nd September 2007
Here for the gear

Whats the name of your band?

Does your band have a myspace or anything? I love your song..I keep listening to it.
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Nut

sounds pretty sweet
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

awesome... loving it.
Old 7th September 2007
Here for the gear

smokin'

no criticism here
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

RAWK ON BROTHER>>>>
GREAT MIX... of Course, you are on Gearslutz... So my obvious Criticism, is what the hell are you saying other than the Screaming..? The music Rocks but the Vox ah well just not my cup of acid.... ~
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search