The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mastering competition Equalizer Plugins
Old 21st August 2007
Mastering competition

Ok, I thought this could be an interesting thread rather than the normal mix critique type thread.

Attached is a song which I challenge you to master. (No I'm not trying to get a free mastering job done). Ive finished with this song and it's just for fun this thread.

This is a challenging one to say the least, and anyone is welcome to have a go, no matter how bad or good you think you are at mastering.

I will post my master attempt later on.

Good luck,
Eck

ps. this is just for fun, there are no prizes, also the song and recordings have been copyrighted for any of you thieving gypsies out there! lol.
Attached Files

Dimmed.mp3 (4.18 MB, 932 views)

Old 29th August 2007
Old 29th August 2007
Lives for gear

You should have posted a link to an mp3 file of at least 320 kbps...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecktronic View Post
Ok, I thought this could be an interesting thread rather than the normal mix critique type thread.

Attached is a song which I challenge you to master. (No I'm not trying to get a free mastering job done). Ive finished with this song and it's just for fun this thread.

This is a challenging one to say the least, and anyone is welcome to have a go, no matter how bad or good you think you are at mastering.

Good luck,
Eck

ps. this is just for fun, there are no prizes, also the song and recordings have been copyrighted for any of you thieving gypsies out there! lol.
Old 30th August 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:

Good luck,
Eck

This is my version.
Less noise, smoother high.
Also, i've removed the effect of hardlimiting.
Done in 5 minutes.
I hope you like it.

With kind regards,
Arnold van Heyst
Netherlands.
Attached Files

Dimmed (Remastered).mp3 (3.24 MB, 163 views)

Old 31st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16/44.1 View Post
This is my version.
Less noise, smoother high.
Also, i've removed the effect of hardlimiting.
Done in 5 minutes.
I hope you like it.

With kind regards,
Arnold van Heyst
Netherlands.
Nice one.
First entry!

Sounds alot smoother in the highs.
Hope for more entries, its a tough one to crack!

Eck
Old 1st September 2007
Gear Addict

Quote:
Nice one.
First entry!

Sounds alot smoother in the highs.
Hope for more entries, its a tough one to crack!

Eck
Thanks .
Btw......this mastering job have been copyrighted heh.
Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

can we get a wav file? sounds like fun, I might give this a try.
Old 2nd September 2007
Gear Addict

Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
You can have it as a 32bit file, though i have to re-do it 'cause it did it for fun only.
It's better to provide me the non-compressed file for best results.
Can you give me credits for the mastering?
On which medium will it be released?
No, i was talking to the original poster...
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

My attempt

This thing is nasty!

I couldn't upload an mp3 to the forum so here's an mp3 file on yousendit.com (8.11 MB, 320 Kbps):

YouSendIt - Send large files - transfer delivery - FTP Replacement

BTW, Hey DeeDrive! Nice to see another Oregonian!
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Addict

Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
About my attempt or my comment about it being nasty (I don't mean the music, but the sound quality which is majorly compressed & distorted)?
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeDrive View Post
can we get a wav file? sounds like fun, I might give this a try.
I'm just posting it as an MP3 sorry man. Its just a bit of fun really.
The MP3 is good enough quality to improve the sound by re-mastering.

Have fun, tis a killer challenge!

Eck
Old 5th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascottk View Post
About my attempt or my comment about it being nasty (I don't mean the music, but the sound quality which is majorly compressed & distorted)?
Yeah the sound quality is terrible, and the msatering job I did on it was terrible also.
It was one of the 1st songs I ever recorded about 6 years ago or so, using a Boss BR1180CD!! Worst pre amps in the world, and nasty nasty FXs.

Your re-master sounds alot smoother. I think there is more noise in this one, but I like the smoothness. The piano sounds alot better.

What did you use, and what was your process?
Remove alot of highs and high mids, and add lows and low mids? Maybe a multi comp around the lo/low mids?

Nice one,
Eck
Old 5th September 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Yeah the sound quality is terrible, and the msatering job I did on it was terrible also.
It was one of the 1st songs I ever recorded about 6 years ago or so, using a Boss BR1180CD!! Worst pre amps in the world, and nasty nasty FXs.

Your re-master sounds alot smoother. I think there is more noise in this one, but I like the smoothness. The piano sounds alot better.

What did you use, and what was your process?
Remove alot of highs and high mids, and add lows and low mids? Maybe a multi comp around the lo/low mids?

Nice one,
Eck
I use Audition 2. I ended up doing a pseudo-seperation/stem system.

First I lessened the clipping on the original file & cleaned it up. Then I used a 30 band graphic eq where I tweaked each band until the "whistling" stopped & used Voxengo's HarmoniEQ to add some harmonics (I tried several harmonic exciters but Vox's HEQ does the best job IMHO).

After that I threw the same file in a multitrack session where I applied different eqs to each track, mainly voxengo eqs. I separated the tracks into low, mids, & highs.

Each track also has certain effect applied to them. The bass has an eq and the dominion plug (digitalfishphones.com); the mids have an eq & compressor; & the highs have eq, voxengo transmodder, and a stereo expander. The master track has GlaceVerb, eq, and a stereo expander.

After I mixed down, I took that file used Auditions mastering rack to apply several different effects:
  • Audition graphic eq (30 bands)
  • Voxengo CurveEQ
  • Vox Soniformer2
  • TubeDriver (Nick Crow's I found on this forum, awesome plug BTW)
  • Vox Polysquasher
  • Vox Elephant

Then a little more tweaking after that.
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

Eck Cmon

This is not funny... ~ You know and I know that mastering this is impossible with a low bit rate MP3... Second of all, whats to master, if I stick this through Z-noise I will lose half the song, If I try Algorithmix my computer will die from the hiss factor.. But still having a go on it on the analog realm will be impossible. Its just not a good recording, and I doubt there is really anything you can do to fix it but, Ill have a go....
Attached Files

newsample.mp3 (3.35 MB, 140 views)

Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascottk View Post
I use Audition 2. I ended up doing a pseudo-seperation/stem system.

First I lessened the clipping on the original file & cleaned it up. Then I used a 30 band graphic eq where I tweaked each band until the "whistling" stopped & used Voxengo's HarmoniEQ to add some harmonics (I tried several harmonic exciters but Vox's HEQ does the best job IMHO).

After that I threw the same file in a multitrack session where I applied different eqs to each track, mainly voxengo eqs. I separated the tracks into low, mids, & highs.

Each track also has certain effect applied to them. The bass has an eq and the dominion plug (digitalfishphones.com); the mids have an eq & compressor; & the highs have eq, voxengo transmodder, and a stereo expander. The master track has GlaceVerb, eq, and a stereo expander.

After I mixed down, I took that file used Auditions mastering rack to apply several different effects:
  • Audition graphic eq (30 bands)
  • Voxengo CurveEQ
  • Vox Soniformer2
  • TubeDriver (Nick Crow's I found on this forum, awesome plug BTW)
  • Vox Polysquasher
  • Vox Elephant
Then a little more tweaking after that.
Woah, quite a big mastering job then!
I usually use as littlee processing as possible when mastering but I suppose in this instance a bit more was needed.

Eck
Old 7th September 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by drakewire View Post
This is not funny... ~ You know and I know that mastering this is impossible with a low bit rate MP3... Second of all, whats to master, if I stick this through Z-noise I will lose half the song, If I try Algorithmix my computer will die from the hiss factor.. But still having a go on it on the analog realm will be impossible. Its just not a good recording, and I doubt there is really anything you can do to fix it but, Ill have a go....
I did say its a challenge.
Listen to ascottk's master. He did a nice job on it.
Yeah the recording was terrible. I used a BR1180CD with cheap $10 mic and no recording experience!

Mmm, your master has made the song sound like a different song. :D

Eck
Old 2nd June 2014
I forgot about this old post!
Was good to read the comments and get some masters of this badly recorded song.

I have grown up since then: http://crystalmixing.com/music/
Still Shi*ty 128kbps MP3 quality but I have learned a lot from the likes of Bob Katz, Andy Wallace etc...

Thanks guys for keeping this forum a "troll" free place.

G

Last edited by Crystal Mixing and Mastering; 2nd June 2014 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: Post double

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search