The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Drops of Jupiter-esque POP SONG! ITB mix.. Dynamic Microphones
Old 20th August 2007
Lives for gear

Drops of Jupiter-esque POP SONG! ITB mix..

hey Slutz!!!
heres a song I produced and I just finished, i think...
I finished his record like 4-5 months ago but I wanted to re-do this song because I think its one of his strongest, he has a pretty incredible voice.

thing is, I have probably lost perspective a bit having mixed the song about a zillion times

I played guitars and arranged the strings, which are real too. The artist played piano.

Anyhoo....let me know what you think. I'd love some feedback on the mix.

cheers
Chymer
Attached Files

WHAT A DAY 11.mp3 (4.44 MB, 625 views)

Old 20th August 2007
Your mix is very thin.
There is minimal low end and the high end and high mids are too much.
The vocals should be louder and the bass guitar should be a bit louder also.

The kick is a bit louder than the bass, so try and get the kick and bass at the same level by boosting the bass a bit. Snare seems to get hidden, so Id bring the volume of the snare up also.

The vocals are a tad mid rangey also. By bringing up the volume of the vocals a bit you should be able to bring the mid range down a bit around 2-5k.

I did a quick master of your mix.
Hope you like.
I was pretty limited in where I wanted the mix to end up sounding like.

Nice song, and great potential for a great mix.

Eck
Attached Files

WHAT A DAY 11 MASTER.mp3 (3.71 MB, 383 views)

Old 20th August 2007
Gear Addict

I like very much the song ....but I think was too much trying to copy 'Drops pf Jupiter" was not a good idea...the drums beat is almost like in DOJ and I think is not the best for the song...also I like but also not that the chord progressions are very much the same thing at the bridge ( feeling )!!!

Yes the drums balance is weird..kick too lound..dated sounding very clicky in the verse ..and the bass is not there...in certain moments the strings sounds too loud and sounds dirty in the mix.

What I really like was the Vocal sound in the verse one...there the vocals sound good...later changes because of the rest of the instruments.

which signal chain did you use in vocals?

and what did u use on the vocal track during mix..specially on verse 1 ?

Overall nice song , and great potencial and good arragement.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Cool stuff but I have to agree with the others, the balance is quite not right, vocals are kinda thin sometimes. The hole mix could be more wide, deep and full.

If you don't mind here is my try or what I have in mind :-)

Andreas
Attached Files

wadda day.mp3 (4.03 MB, 420 views)

Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

mmmm....not very original!!! a blurry photocopy of 'Drop of jupiter"
Also remind me a bit the style of the Alex Band but of course ,,far from those arragements.

I do not know what is going on in the chorus..something sounds very messy and dirty..I think are the strings???? hard to tell...sounds very dirty....the string arragement I think are plain...that its ok....but man ..clean up the chorus!!

Yes,the vocal sounds nice at the beggining.
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Good Vocalist

How about a little delay or ambience on the chorus vocal to open things up a bit??
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

listening, some very good observations have already been noted.
Old 21st August 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreas G View Post
Cool stuff but I have to agree with the others, the balance is quite not right, vocals are kinda thin sometimes. The hole mix could be more wide, deep and full.

If you don't mind here is my try or what I have in mind :-)

Andreas
I like what you did there. You maanged to bring out the low mids nicely to add some warmth. I'm not sure it's possible to really make the part of the song where it is at its fullest (at 1:25) sound decent without a remix.
What do you think of my effort at saving the mix?
(Its in my last post.)

I didn't bring out the low mids as much as I'd have liked to. :(

Eck
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

thanks for the advice guys, I will have a look at the lows and lo-mids and also I will work to clean up when the chorus hits....there are quite a few guitars so maybe I will just loose some of them and also EQ the strings so they sit a bit better.

Its a tough one because this song was recorded so long (well over a year) ago and my recording skills has improved a hell of a lot since then so maybe i need to re-record some stuff or just call it a day or get someone else to mix the track.....

i will have another crack at it though, its all in the name of learning......

I will pots an update soon.

Chymer
Old 22nd August 2007
Here for the gear

Nice work Chymer! Love the groove and although I just listened through my laptop speakers, everything sounds great. I'm nowhere close to having the experience of the rest of the folks on this forum but I really like the recording.

I'll keep an eye out for more!
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Thanks mate, its funny you say you listened through your laptop because I thought it sounded pretty cool through my laptop too.
I feel there is a bass thing going on......I could crank it a bit, but I feel confident that the mid-range ballances are not too far off, maybe vocal up and clean up the guitars.strings ion the chorus.....
Chymer
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecktronic View Post
What do you think of my effort at saving the mix?
On one hand it sounds rounder and softer, less stressful which is a good thing, on the other hand I'm not sure how it will translate on a duller playback system? The Vocals and snare might get a bit lost. Anyway in a situation where one looses perspective, and this can happens to all of us, it's really refreshing to get a new perspectiv, even when it's not perfect. At least that's how I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chymer View Post
Its a tough one because this song was recorded so long (well over a year) ago and my recording skills has improved a hell of a lot since then so maybe i need to re-record some stuff or just call it a day or get someone else to mix the track.....
Just make a break and then remix it. I'm sure it won't be so difficult for you then:-)
For me the most exciting element in this tune are the vocals. So I focused on vocals when I tweaked your mix. Though I have to pay the price that the piano gets really muddy, I like the original one better.

So again when remixing it, I'd be focused very much on vocals. Just beef it up, so that it doesn't sound so hagridden especially in the refrain. Then I'd clear up the chorus a bit, I found the strings very important there and the piano for now a bit too heavy, I mean it eats a lot of space.

Looking forward to hear your remix...

Good luck, Andreas
Old 22nd August 2007
I'm thinking your monitoring system could be at fault here.
I say this because your mix had almost no lows or low mids, and had too much high mids, and highs.
Id start remixing by bringing the high mids on the high end instruments down. Try around 2-5k on guitars, strings.

Try using a different set of monitors or even headphones to switch between.

Eck
Old 22nd August 2007
Lives for gear

Im pretty sure my monitors are cool, i think Im just over the song and have lost perspective.
Might look at getting someone else to mix.
Cheers
chymer
Old 22nd August 2007
Quote:
Im pretty sure my monitors are cool, i think Im just over the song and have lost perspective.
Might look at getting someone else to mix.
Cheers
chymer
Yeah that can happen a lot. Mixing it so much that you find it hard to know what sounds right and what doesn't sound right.

Eck
Old 15th September 2007
Lives for gear

i really enjoy the mix....very talented you are......would you like to share some details of how you processed and recorded the drums?

greetings

alex
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

hello chymer,

now what did become of the song?

it is a very beautiful production, and the sound is already good enough in a musical sense, (would be a "local maximum" in math) so it is not immediately clear what to do with it.

I don't even think it is very thin, it may have small balance issues.
the click of the kick *g* sticks a bit out. but not every time. the snare keeps up in some parts.

I think a major problem is in the compression. it behaves like a rubber wall.
I would work out a completely different style of compression and limiting.
as I know some of your other work, I think you have some of the pop-rock formula travelling with you (remember the young girl) that goes after total loudness and brickwalling, which is appropriate in that genre.
perhaps you need to get rid of that, because the dynamic processing sucks out the punch and bass.
perhaps more limiting plus less compression ratio with a harder knee would do.
soft single-band compression plus some bandpassed extra compression in the lower midrange.
currently it is kind of half-mastered.
what did you do, subgroup compression, multiband, bus compression, parallel,...?

for the vocal sound, less compression of that rubber wall type, would allow more clarity and intensity of expression.
also, there is some kind of "flat response" or hi-fi-ish in the EQ result. with my clumsy language I would say it should be somewhat rounder in the midrange, a bit less in the 8k range and a bit more air. more "natural" in the meaning that many EQ settings are trying to make a voice bigger. but this singer has a strong expression and requires less of that. the strength lies not in the broadness of the spectrum.

that would be my 2 cents heh
Old 17th September 2007
Gear Addict

Hey dude

I really like the song. I especially like that dude's voice - he can really sing, and has a cool tone.

Re all the Drops of Jupiter comments - I thinks it's just the rhythm of the drums that makes it sound like DOJ, and I think that skipping rhythm is wrong for the tune. I reckon if you played around with a simpler drum beat, one that really listens to what the song is doing, then you'd have an original sounding, great tune on your hands.

Nice work man.

Shaun
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

The song (album) has been mastered now and is waiting to be released.
the artist has just won "SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR" here in OZ and just needs to get his act together. Its incredible he isnt signed!!!!
After listening to the mix again, I didnt think it was too thin, nothing mastering couldnt dial in anyway, if it had to be in there, so I left it.
Im happy with it, I think its great and so does he so its all good.
In mastering we used "STEMS" and summed them through a valve desk and hit all sorts of great outbaord and then it ended up on tape.
We addressed the strings and guitars in the chorus and tried to give them their own space to live and the drums and bass were given "weight" as well.
The music was sent to a compressor and with the vocal "keying" it so the vocal was always upfront. Its funny, if anything the song is now a bit "dark" but I like it.
Oh, all master bus compression was taken off before mastering.
I can post the final master I guess if you guys wanna hear it???

And Im not worried about the Drops of Jupiter comparisons as I was the one who brought it up in the first place and i wonde how many people would have thought of it if I hadnt mentioned it so its all cool.

Chymer
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexi View Post
i really enjoy the mix....very talented you are......would you like to share some details of how you processed and recorded the drums?

greetings

alex
Cool...
the drums were recorded flat through an SSL and its preamps.
OH> Josephson C42s
kik> M88 and D112
Snare> 57 top and bottom and Josephson e22s on top as well.
Toms> 57s on Raks, maybe d112 on floor
Rooms> 414 Pair and R92 and a Rode....

I bus kick and snares and room mics to separate busses and then buss the whole kit out to 4 parralell busses with one bus flat, one bus with SSL bus,one bus with T-racks Limiter in FM radio setting and one with the Timeworks comp-x. these are then bussed out to one fader.
All these plugs have their own flavour and I can blend them to get the right character.
I use Soundscapes SSL EQ (duende algorithm) for my EQ and The SOundscape Drawmer gate. Ill use the UA stuff as well.

Hope this helps mate
Chymer
Old 17th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
The song (album) has been mastered now and is waiting to be released.
the artist has just won "SONGWRITER OF THE YEAR" here in OZ and just needs to get his act together. Its incredible he isnt signed!!!!
After listening to the mix again, I didnt think it was too thin, nothing mastering couldnt dial in anyway, if it had to be in there, so I left it.
Im happy with it, I think its great and so does he so its all good.
In mastering we used "STEMS" and summed them through a valve desk and hit all sorts of great outbaord and then it ended up on tape.
We addressed the strings and guitars in the chorus and tried to give them their own space to live and the drums and bass were given "weight" as well.
The music was sent to a compressor and with the vocal "keying" it so the vocal was always upfront. Its funny, if anything the song is now a bit "dark" but I like it.
Oh, all master bus compression was taken off before mastering.
I can post the final master I guess if you guys wanna hear it???
Chymer
I'm very much looking forward to listen to the final!
from what you reveal here, I already think it is perfect and awesome, because all issues have been explained.
thanks for giving the great insight and a lovely piece of music!

and congrats to the artist.
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

Hmmmm

Some of these comments seem so unfounded and uneducated
Sorry
The mix is excellent... Every part *is* exactly the way it should be. The drums are very nicely recorded and the vocals are rich and right on the spot. There is nothing wrong with the mix or the recording... Good Job Chymer , yet another excellent recording by you....

This is nothing like Train though... Which perhaps is what confused people.....

Oh and by the way, My monitors work real good to
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear

One more thing

MySpace.com - Half Past Forever - Greenville, South Carolina - Rock / Pop / Indie - www.myspace.com/halfpastforeverband Listen to "In a Moment" sounds like an utter jerk of an already popular song tutt
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear
Nice Mix and the singer has a great voice!!!
Old 18th September 2007
Lives for gear
I think this is ****ing great work as usual man. Really nicely done.
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear Head

I think the mix is very good as well.

Good song as well. Singer is very good and all the instrumentation is very musical and tight. Good pop song. I like the bass playing.
Old 22nd September 2007
Lives for gear

I hear some small tuning issues in the strings. But i tend to be hyper
sensative to that stuff or some reason. ITs certainly passable, but
there are definately spots where one or more of the string players is a
hair flat.

I love the song, and the mix. Great job!
TK

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search