The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Bass/Kick relationship...help
Old 17th August 2007
Here for the gear

Bass/Kick relationship...help

hey guys, first time post and first serioius project i've ever done. i think i've listened to this mix to much. I feel like a)i'm obsessing over nothing or b)the bass/kick relationship is sorta muddy. Please let me know what you guys think.

and if you have any advice on eq for the electric guitar, that would be much appreciated. thanks guys
Attached Files

communion rm 4 acc.m4a (3.78 MB, 254 views)

Old 17th August 2007
Gear Nut

can you please post a mp3 version please?

thanx
Old 19th August 2007
Gear Nut

I know the part in listening to much to a mix, its like being sucked to much into the sounds making it hard to see the broughter perspective
What I hear is some fighting in frequensies around the kick, bas, snarre which kind of clears the difinition I could imagine that each sounds good on their own but together they are fighting, by making the kick and the snarre a bit brighter might fit it more together, I think the bas is sounding good in that area with the low freq, maybe broadening it a bit up on the panorama on the rythm section might help. But its what I hear with my ears and maybe its not correct. The rest is getting ok
A.
Old 20th August 2007
Here for the gear

thanks for the reply

thanks so much the advice. i'm having the hardest time finding what frequencies to cut on the snare and kick; any places you usually cut or boost? what usually works for you? i'm glad you said that about the guitars-that was one thing i had a slight thought about. i've been using "multi-channel plug-ins" instead of "multi-mono" in pt, would that have something to do with it?

thanks again for replying!
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Nut

Your welcome
Actually I haven´t got so much experience in mixing drums so giving advise with the eq´s is a bit difficult. But one good rule is that it depends on the surroundings. You can make an instrument sound outstanding for it own but when blending in - Try using a setup where the bas with the sustain covers the lowest range up the middle, then the kickdrum sets in a bit brighter making the kickeffect more noticable, The snarre sounded good but wery dark and maybe it just needs a smaller addjustment but usually goes a bit brighter again but always remember there are no rules and it depends on the function, try running a pluginn to see which frequensees is covered to get things away and again panning is good to move things away from each other. The thing with the multichannel pluginn depend on how they are used always isnt the best choice, sometimes a monosound is needed to cut things through.
Recently I bought a book which is highly recomendable, it´s called:
the mixing engineer´s handbook by Bobby Owinski and it really helped me out alot with alot of tricks with eq, bussing compressors, using delays and more.
Good luck with it
It could be great to listen more to the track after you have worked a bit more with it.
A.
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

thanks again, i'll check out that book for sure. i'll try to do a another mix on everything and post it tonight or tomorrow morning. thanks agian
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

I'd be more concerned with the mushy snare, the lead vocal and perhaps the overheads, particularily the uber-present ride and definitionless toms.....

Comparatively, the bass and kick sound quite nice, and are one
of the better things about the mix. I would go and EQ that snare to death first, and take it from there.

Good luck!
Old 21st August 2007
Here for the gear

thanks for the reply,

when you say the snare is "mushy" does it sound to fat or just not tight? is the vocal to loud or not compressed enough to little eq? i agree on the toms i kinda ran out of pre's and mic's and they kinda got the shaft as did the overheads; i've sorta given up all hope of them sounding any better. should i crank the ratio highier on compressing the overheads to calm down the ride.

i guess spacifics would be really appreciated-i'm a newby to recording so i really apprecaite all advice. thanks so much for your help man
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

you might try gating the snare, to make it short and crackin. would give it a bit more of an urban edge.
Old 26th August 2007
Here for the gear

i'll give the gate a try, thanks
Old 28th August 2007
Here for the gear

i think the bass and kick mesh quite nicely- like several others in this post i'd put some more time in the snare's EQ. play with boosting the frequencies between 4-6kHz for more attack.

and though slightly off-topic- is it just me or is she flat in the passage around 2:12?
Old 30th August 2007
Here for the gear

Yeah I am going to have to agree with septor boost the attack on the snare abit and you should be fine. Otherwise it sounds pretty good
Old 30th August 2007
Lives for gear

I think the kik/sn relationship is fine....I find the drum energy a little low in general probably because your vocals are so far forward....I battle with this continuously mixing ITB...Overheads cymbals probably way too loud....try bussing the Snare , slapping high pass filter and a comp on the bus , play with the high pass frequency, compress aggressively and sneak that into the mix ....just a suggestion if you are looking for more snap....sometimes just adding high end makes it worse...mix sounds fine...some of the playing is just OK...you can't change that....don't drive yourself nuts.

Nick
Old 31st August 2007
Here for the gear

new mix

hey guys let me know what you think about this mix. any improvements? any thing you like less?

i tried to put a little more presence on the vox, didn't squash the toms quit as much, eq'd the crap out of the snare, and used a multi-mono plug on guitars.

thanks again for the replies
Attached Files

communion final mix2.m4a (3.84 MB, 156 views)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search