The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on an 80bpm hiphop/electronic track. Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 16th August 2007
Here for the gear

Opinions on an 80bpm hiphop/electronic track.

This is pretty much just a 'what do you think of my mp3?' post so you can realy skip all the way to the bottom.

I'm not realy going for a club sound, I like jazzy layed back type tracks. I like drums to be sharp and not very loop driven. I tend to like a more minimal style these days.

This track had peaks at around -4dB and was rendered at 41k 24bit then raised up to just under 0dB for the mp3. Everything done ITB except for a few effect sends (mainly kick/snare). Please rip me apart! Tell me what you think sounds bad/wrong. This is a rough mix (...)

Thanks for your time!

PS: The MC I was doing this for didn't seem to be real in love with it (I like it though).

http://members.toast.net/inductive/t...ughMIX_0dB.mp3
Old 17th August 2007
Gear Maniac

Some parts remind me of Portishead and Mr. Oizo. I'm not sure what I would recommend since I am a metal/rock guy. But this sounds like a soundtrack to a tripped out horror flick. Don't eat too many mushrooms before listening.

-ScottyD
Old 21st August 2007
Lives for gear

Hehe, reminds me of Spectre :D

Spectre - The Second Coming

-Tomi
Old 21st August 2007
Gear Addict

Great track! Some parts of it do sound like the soundtrack from a '50s B&W sci-fi movie, as the hero is skulking through the deserted town looking around corners for aliens. The one comment I'd make: the snare and hi-hat could use some more reverb or something. They sound dry compared to the depth that the other instruments and sounds have.
Old 26th August 2007
Gear Nut

the snare is too hot - don't feel the need to max your recording out to 0db. also, the whole drum beat feels pretty thin. since most of the song revolves around that one sample, you need to give the drums some depth and keep them fresh to hold the listener's interest (not as important if someone is m.c.ing over it)

if you haven't already, check out "The Weight" by Creators (in a similar vein to your song). most of the beats on that album are pretty simple drum machine lines but they sound huge.

these are two different approaches to spicing up a sterile drum track:

Rue The Whirl - Boards of Canada
most of the song revolves around one main sample, but it uses very subtle changes to the beat to keep your interest.

Life is Sweet - The Chemical Brothers
Simple drum machine beat, but about 30 seconds in, a drum loop playing the same rhythm comes in under the machine beat. you almost don't notice it, but it adds a subtle depth to the whole thing.
Old 26th August 2007
Lives for gear

if you added a bit more splatter/thwack to the snare i think it'd carry the beat a bit more.. maybe a little verb in there somewhere. it's pretty dry fx-wise. perhaps some punchy compression on the beat.

i like the ideas and it's groovy w/some real nice changes and all the sounds work well together. that main hook w/the "super hero villain/oh sh*t everything is just about go all wrong" theme to it is nice. i think a pad in there somewhere might make it seem a little less loopy.

overall i dig it though.

have you ever checked out scorn? check out "Put Your Weight On It" from the Plan B album. i think you might like some of his stuff but it's pretty dark and minimal which may not be your thing but i think it's dope and his music popped into my head when i listened to your track.

BLEEP - High Quality Music Downloads from Bleep.com
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search