The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Need advice, please Drum Microphones
Old 15th August 2007
Here for the gear

Need advice, please

Hi, this is my first post, so Hi to everyone. Been reading this forum for 2 years, but felt not professional enough to write. Now I could really use some help.

At the moment I'm recording a friends band. They do some kinde of Hard/Stoner Rock . Since I'm an amature I would like some advice. I dont have money to spend on good equipment, and since I m doing this for the fun of it, I wouldnt get it back in the course.
So here are the facts:
I'm recording in their rehersal room. We are recording Drums at the moment. The Kit is old, very old and not of prestige quality if you know what I mean.

I use:
e902 - inside the Kick
D6 - outside Kick
i5 - top & bottom of snare
MD421- Toms (3x)
NT5 - Overheads

I use the Onyx800R Preamps and the digi002 ones. I compressed the Top Snare with a distressor, the kick with a tripple C. Thats basically it. Could someone now tell me what to do to get a better drums sound? I want this to be good, well obviously, but I kinda lack the experience. This is my 3rd record.
Attached Files

One Way Trip Drums.m4a (3.79 MB, 167 views)

Old 6th October 2007
Gear Maniac

I will tell you what someone once told me. I don't know if you have done this or not. But it's war on 580hz ... or somewhere right around there. If you duck out a lot of that frequency on everything with a head on it that should clean the sound up. other than that it doesn't sound horrible at all. .. I would also maybe try throwing some room mics up and smack them with a compressor like super hard if you have the ability to do that. That should open them up a little bit.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search