The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Crazy Beast samples, about 25 songs in 8 minutes!
Old 6th April 2004
Gear addict

Crazy Beast samples, about 25 songs in 8 minutes!

Hello-
This is a quick sample I put together a few weeks back to send to someone as a "style" demo. I had to make the mp3 112 kbps to fit within the GearSlutz file size limit so the quality probably suffered quite a bit...

As I mentioned there are around 25 songs, quite a few styles, some are mastered some not, some are old some new, mostly recorded live to an extent (with some of them completely live, even the vocal, and my room is small, around 14x14x7). Some of the stuff I cringe when I hear it now, but I wanted a cross-section for this particular person.

If anyone is curious about a particular track I could provide more info. I played on quite a few of the songs in some capacity (mostly guitar), and the second snippet is the band that I currently play in called Unguided Missile (which also happens to be the same track that I used for the Folcrom/ITB summing tests that I posted about a year ago.

I'd love to hear any feedback/comments. It's very interesting hearing everyone's work - thanks Jules!
Attached Files
Old 7th April 2004
Gear Addict

Man! What a variety, and all cool. I'm moving to Mapolis!

You've got a "sound". Congrats. All it will take is for one of those bands to blow up and you will ride right along. Good luck.
Old 8th April 2004
Gear addict

thanks mit!

That's the best compliment a guy could get...

There is an *incredible* amount of great music in mapolis/st paul these days. there always has been, but there is such a diversity these days and lots of cross pollination of styles and players.

The studio scene is really tough though. most of the biggest, best players have either closed,moved or are on the fence. lots of home studios, people like me, etc.

I'd love to hear *any* comments from other folks, and thanks for taking the time to listen!
Old 16th April 2004
Gear addict

any other thoughts from folks that have downloaded??
Old 21st April 2004
Gear addict

Finally listening to it...

I'm with Mitgong--you have your own sound, in a really cool way. All the different styles sound right for the genre, but I can hear common threads.

The denser mixes hold together nicely, too, and the instruments still sound life size. I like a lot of the drum sounds, as well--big and roomy but natural.

The only criticism I can think of is a bit of digital-ish harshness in the high-mids of some of the heavier guitars. That could be from the MP3 format as much as anything, though.

Really nice job.
Old 21st April 2004
Gear addict

Thanks Brian!

I agree about the fiziness in some of the guitars. I think the main reason is having to rip the mp3 at 112kbps. That can really mess with that frequency range.

The other thing is that some of that harshness is just my guitar sound. I play on quite a few of those tracks and my tone is kinda bright and wacky, and for a while I had a rectifier tube that was slowly dying and in the process was making some microphonic sounds in that frequency range.

I appreciate the comments about the drum sounds, especially since they were all done in a very small room, and often with 2-3 guitar/bass amps going at the same time! As you can probably tell, I'm a fan of spring reverb...

cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search