The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Guess who? Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 27th March 2004
High End Moderator

Guess who?

Here is a little morsel from a not-to-be-named artist. It's the original mix of a song that never made the album release. Keep in mind that this is unmastered and was mixed in the very early 90s when we still were allowed to put reverb on snares

I faded it for obvious reasons
Attached Files

pmfade.mp3 (3.56 MB, 8807 views)

Old 27th March 2004
Lives for gear

Re: Guess who?

VERY cool.
Im a big fan of his and yours.
got anymore???

thanks

Sean
Old 27th March 2004
Lives for gear

Nice bit of nostalgia. As always Michael, great work!! Who was the guitar player? Was it the one that participated in the writing of some of the matierial later used on the release? It doesn't entirely resemble the current one.
Old 27th March 2004
Mindreader

Great memories

My first 'proper' gig I ever saw was him at London Hammersmith when I was 17, followed by his headline gig at Donington. You could say it was his fault I ever got into metal.

My other favourite band of that era was the upcoming Metalica, who were at the bottom of the bill at Donington that year!

So, you're doing ok in my books Michael.

But answer the question, who was the guitarist?
Old 27th March 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

Thanks Michael

Cool out take. How did you process the reverse effect that's on the vocal in the "bridge" ? I love that sound.

Jam
Old 27th March 2004
High End Moderator

Thje guitar player was some Wylde guy, hmm can't remember his name... heh

The backwards effects where done on a analog 2" machine. I recorded the vocal track on the 2" (synced via SMPTE to the Mitsubishi digital machine) then turned the tape around, put flanged reverb on the vocal then turned the tape back to normal and synced it back up to the digital machine.
Old 27th March 2004
Lives for gear

You ROCK, Michael!

See you soon!
Old 27th March 2004
Lives for gear

Hey, I know that singer!

Cool stuff, great mix... wouldn't expect anything less

Greetings,
Dirk
Old 27th March 2004
Lives for gear

Very cool!... would love to hear more!!!!!
Old 28th March 2004
Jam
Lives for gear

Thanks for the insight Michael. Now I'm off to experiment ( insert evil scientist laugh )

Jam
Old 30th March 2004
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Tim L
Very cool!... would love to hear more!!!!!
there is tons more where that came from, I'm just not sure about the legal side of things. I'll dig around in the tape vault...
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

you should hear Michael's version A/B'ed with the one that ended up on the record!!! Michael's is way better.

No More Tears sold what, 4 mil.
Ozzmosis, 1mil
drew
Old 30th March 2004
There is only one

i have a question about production from back then that i cant seem to repro... the verb on the snare. wtf?!? how do you get the massiveness of it while still keeping the snare relatively foward? it ALWAYS pushes mine back.
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i have a question about production from back then that i cant seem to repro... the verb on the snare. wtf?!? how do you get the massiveness of it while still keeping the snare relatively foward? it ALWAYS pushes mine back.
I can't answer for wagener, but I would compress the reverb return.
Old 30th March 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mwagener
there is tons more where that came from
Maybe we can hear some at the BBQ this summer?
Old 31st March 2004
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by flexoffset
Maybe we can hear some at the BBQ this summer?
You bet...
Old 31st March 2004
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
It's all about the predelay on the reverb. Keep the snare clean of verb (timewise maybe 40-50ms) and let the Early Reflections and the reverb start later. What you hear on that song was mostly a 480L modified algo (sorry, forgot which preset, some hall, I think). I do remember that I EQ'd the reverb send (low pass) and return. No compression on the verb, just a long setting, about 2.3 sec decay.
Old 31st March 2004
Here for the gear
Hey Michael! I really love your work...
I am a huge Ozzy and Zakk fan, and I was just curious....
was that (your version) recorded for No More Tears, with Zakk, Bob Daisley and Randy Castillo, and re-recorded later with Zakk, Geezer, and Deen Castronovo?
Or is this one of those tracks they supposedly recorded to be used as Live & Loud studio bonus tracks in 1992 (Such as Aimee and See You On The Other Side)? I was just curious what was recorded for what, I hadn't heard of Perry Mason existing that far back!
Old 31st March 2004
High End Moderator

Well, after the success of No More Tears, the label came to me in 1994 and asked me to do the next album. They wanted "Exactly the same record as No More Tears". We completed 7 songs (pre production to mix) and then the label came and said: "Now we want it to sound like Soundgarden". As you can imagine, if you start a project with a firm direction, it's not easy to change to a completely different diection half way through, especially after the songs are already mixed.

The project was put on hold and later given to another producer to finish/redo. The result turned into Ozzmosis. They re-did most of the recording, and on the tracks they kept, they triggered drumsamples, slowed them down (like on Perry Mason) etc. When I first heard the finished product I was ready to get out of the business (and apparently so was Ozzy, as he told me). Later the record got re-released with a bonus track (Aimee) which was one of the original songs I produced and mixed.

See You On The Other Side also was one of the original tracks we did for Ozzmosis, but you would have to come to the studio to hear that one
Old 31st March 2004
Here for the gear
I actually like Ozzmosis (although the production is iffy)...
But, damn...I wish they would have made your record instead, because it would have been 100 times better. Ozzy's vocals even sound a lot better and "younger" on your recording.
LOL damn, you know, I would actually visit your studio to hear some of that ****, man! I am a huge fan, and also an aspiring producer so it'd be awesome to come check it out.
Old 31st March 2004
High End Moderator

come on down
Old 31st March 2004
Here for the gear
you have email man! LOL
Old 5th April 2004
Lives for gear

What a radical difference... i'd love to compare to the album version on a nicer system than my Apple speakers, lol... but a fair comparison would be tough regarding the massive difference in production. Beinhorn retracked that entire album IIRC... I remember reading about Ozzmosis being tracked 3 different times with 3 different producers or something, Duane Baron/John Purdell team being the 3rd, again IIRC. I bet Ozzy wished he had stayed retired after all that. No wonder Zakk left the band after that album!

I think it's clear which vibe fits Ozzy best, damn label mooks!
Old 5th April 2004
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by jpaudio
What a radical difference... i'd love to compare to the album version on a nicer system than my Apple speakers, lol... but a fair comparison would be tough regarding the massive difference in production. Beinhorn retracked that entire album IIRC... I remember reading about Ozzmosis being tracked 3 different times with 3 different producers or something, Duane Baron/John Purdell team being the 3rd, again IIRC...
jpaudio, I believe you are thinking about "No More Tears" which was completely tracked 3 times an mixed 4 times. I was brought in after Duane and John where finished with their mix. We talked about the vibe of the record and I tried to stay within their original vision of it. According to them it worked fine, they were happy with my mixes.

Ozzmosis was not completely re-tracked, some of the songs were slowed down and some of the original tracks were used and others were eliminated (like the saxophone and outro choir on "See You On The Other Side"). The original drums were replaced by samples The main problem here is that the vibe got changed (by the label) halfway through the project, so it ended up being a vibe-bastard.

What is IIRC?
Old 5th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:

What is IIRC?
"If I recall correctly"

Thanks for the insight Michael!
Old 5th April 2004
Here for the gear
Ahh No More Tears was retracked 3 times?
That would explain why Bob Daisley plays bass on it, while Mike Inez was actually Ozzy's bass player at the time. I have heard about how Inez is really really slow in the studio and takes forever to get his takes, where-as Daisley is a true professional.
Old 5th April 2004
High End Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Deege
Ahh No More Tears was retracked 3 times?
That would explain why Bob Daisley plays bass on it, while Mike Inez was actually Ozzy's bass player at the time. I have heard about how Inez is really really slow in the studio and takes forever to get his takes, where-as Daisley is a true professional.
Nope again. Mike Inez is a great bassplayer and great to work with in the studio. He actually wrote the original riff to "No More Tears"(the song). I'm not sure how many songs Mike played and how many were played by Bob, but I'm sure it was not because Mike was too slow. Maybe Mike wasn't in the band yet when the album got started. I try to find out from him...
Old 5th April 2004
Lives for gear

Having listened to this mp3 for a day or so, after hearing the album version since '95 or whenever it was released, I gotta say MW's production/mix flat-out smokes the released version... it just compliments the song and Ozzy's style so much better, from the mix aspects to the use of synths and other production elements. Between Ozzmosis and Ozzy's latest studio album, he owes it to himself to give Michael a buzz again...
Old 5th April 2004
Here for the gear
Quote:
Nope again. Mike Inez is a great bassplayer and great to work with in the studio. He actually wrote the original riff to "No More Tears"(the song). I'm not sure how many songs Mike played and how many were played by Bob, but I'm sure it was not because Mike was too slow. Maybe Mike wasn't in the band yet when the album got started. I try to find out from him...
Well that's cool. I'm a huge Mike Inez fan anyway, don't get me wrong. I love his playing on Live & Loud, and with Alice In Chains (not to mention he jams on the live bootlegs I have of him with Black Label Society...he's also on the first track on their new album)...
Old 5th April 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Deege
Well that's cool. I'm a huge Mike Inez fan anyway, don't get me wrong. I love his playing on Live & Loud, and with Alice In Chains (not to mention he jams on the live bootlegs I have of him with Black Label Society...he's also on the first track on their new album)...
I always felt Inez/Castillo/Wylde represented Ozzy's music best... the next band, Holmes/Trujillo/Bordin, didn't quite do it for me in the same way, as much as I loved Bordin in Faith No More. Joe Holmes had some sweet guitar tones though, albeit night and day from Zakk. I was hoping Metallica would ask Inez to replace Newsted... Trujillo was a surprise but seems a good fit. Sorry but Newsted looked clueless onstage with Ozzy last year.

That's my Ozzy rant!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search