The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix my drums / AC/DC / Tama Bell Brass / with Multitracks
Old 22nd November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Mix my drums / AC/DC / Tama Bell Brass / with Multitracks

Hi again!
Here's another Mix my drums video with more rocking feel.
Link for tracks can be found from the video description. I had my Tama Bell Brass snare for this recording so you can hear if it's any good

Old 22nd November 2020
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sounds great to me. Depending on the context of the song, the verb might not be the right choice. Snare leans a bit to the right, but I think it may be the verb pulling it over there? But nice overall kit sound.
Old 22nd November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
Sounds great to me. Depending on the context of the song, the verb might not be the right choice. Snare leans a bit to the right, but I think it may be the verb pulling it over there? But nice overall kit sound.
Thanks!
Yes, the reverb...how much...it sounds like there's way too much when you hear the drums soloed but after you add the rest of the band I think it might better? You might be right about the snare leaning to the right, actually OH R (Ride side) was a bit hotter even with the same levels and distance from the snare so that might the reason. I'm just a hobbyist mixer but I'm doing the drum remote recording actively so at least the raw sounds should be ok to begin with. Thanks for the comment
Old 22nd November 2020
I think You are right with Soloed drums reverb might sound excessive. But in a mix with full band it can balance nicely. Also slight tilts, can be subdued or hidden in a full mix as well.

My preference for file sharing is to just grab the individual tracks. I dont like having to download a huge conglaboration of files. Because i dont really know what im downloading. Plus it takes a while to download (for me). So if youd split them up, id work with them.
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaide View Post
Thanks!
Yes, the reverb...how much...it sounds like there's way too much when you hear the drums soloed but after you add the rest of the band I think it might better? You might be right about the snare leaning to the right, actually OH R (Ride side) was a bit hotter even with the same levels and distance from the snare so that might the reason. I'm just a hobbyist mixer but I'm doing the drum remote recording actively so at least the raw sounds should be ok to begin with. Thanks for the comment
For sure in the context of a full mix, you would probably not even know there was verb on the drums, and the slight right lean would probably blend in as well. But the drums sound nice to me. Great job.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
My preference for file sharing is to just grab the individual tracks. I dont like having to download a huge conglaboration of files. Because i dont really know what im downloading. Plus it takes a while to download (for me). So if youd split them up, id work with them.
Here's a link for the individual tracks if you are interested
https://bit.ly/36ZCV93
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRS View Post
For sure in the context of a full mix, you would probably not even know there was verb on the drums, and the slight right lean would probably blend in as well. But the drums sound nice to me. Great job.
Thanks very much SRS !!
Old 23rd November 2020
Only used 8 of the tracks. The kicks, snares and OHs.
Attached Files

mix my drums mixed by Corey.mp3 (4.14 MB, 456 views)

Old 23rd November 2020
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Here's an imaginary AC/DC song that my friend played on top of my drum track.
https://soundcloud.com/user-665055230/aacee2
Old 24th November 2020 | Show parent
SRS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Very nice! Sounds pro
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Any chance your friend would provide those multitracks so we can also add to your drum tracks?
Old 24th November 2020
Thats gunna cost $$$. Pro quality tracks cost $$$.
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainHook View Post
Any chance your friend would provide those multitracks so we can also add to your drum tracks?
I think there might be some copyright problems because he composed those riffs...so I don't think it works out but you can use the drum tracks if you want.
Old 25th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I think there might be some copyright problems because he composed those riffs...so I don't think it works out but you can use the drum tracks if you want.
Okay no problem, I just wanted to have a go mixing the drums in context of some music.

So I recorded some bass and guitars myself, not as good as your friend but it helped with the mixing process. I've actually put my bass and guitar files up for other people if they want to add to their drum mix too, the link is in the video description.

I used my Friedman Vintage-T (though various pedals) into my Friedman Dirty Shirley which went through the UA OX box direct into my UA x8p. Bass my was Musicman Stingray direct into the x8p with the Ampeg B15n and 176/LA-2A emulations in the record path (baked into the recording).

I mixed it all in UA LUNA, and went slightly more modern but no samples etc.

Great job with the playing and recording Kai, it was a fun mix.

Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Okay no problem, I just wanted to have a go mixing the drums in context of some music.

So I recorded some bass and guitars myself, not as good as your friend but it helped with the mixing process. I've actually put my bass and guitar files up for other people if they want to add to their drum mix too, the link is in the video description.

I used my Friedman Vintage-T (though various pedals) into my Friedman Dirty Shirley which went through the UA OX box direct into my UA x8p. Bass my was Musicman Stingray direct into the x8p with the Ampeg B15n and 176/LA-2A emulations in the record path (baked into the recording).

Thanks for doing this!! It was great and really informative to see what plugins you used and all the settings. I guess kick drum had only Fabfilter EQ?
I downloaded LUNA when it came out but it was too different for me as I had only used Logic X (and still do). Mine was recorded with UAD x8p and some of the tracks were Audient ASP880.
Great video and I hope someone will add something to this song
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
I guess kick drum had only Fabfilter EQ?
On the individual channels, yes. I can show you the settings if you want, but it was basically just high pass and low pass like you see with most of the Fabfilter EQ's I show - it got a bit redundant to show them all so i tried to skip over them to get through other plugins. More of the kick sound will be through the drum and slam busses, plus the overall mix processing (aside from the fader balance of the individual mics etc of course).

I've been trying out LUNA since it dropped, I come from Pro Tools so lots of things are similar but its still missing a lot and a few pain points exist. I much prefer working in PT but the sound in LUNA with the summing and tape extensions really do sound special, enough that I put up with the pain of working in it for now.

Cheers!
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hey CaptainHook, your files are 48k, the drum tracks are @ 44.1k

No worries, I converted them and they are great.

Kaide, your snare sounds fantastic!

george
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetgeorge View Post
Hey CaptainHook, your files are 48k, the drum tracks are @ 44.1k

No worries, I converted them and they are great.
Sorry, yes. Old habit of preferring to track @ 48k and LUNA doesn't care about mixing sample rates on the fly.
Old 26th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Really great tracks, thanks for posting them. I used them to test Seventh Heaven reverb. Trying it now and hoping/planning to buy for black Friday. It sounds excellent on snare and overheads.

George
Attached Files
Old 26th November 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by velvetgeorge View Post
Kaide, your snare sounds fantastic!george
Thanks!! It's a classic rock snare for sure
Old 27th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanksgiving hangover mix! Be kind...!

I combined both Kai's drums and CaptainHook's guitars - great work guys!

All original tracks used - no samples.
Attached Files

AC-DC Drums V8.mp3 (4.18 MB, 340 views)

Old 28th November 2020
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Nice!
Old 28th November 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I bought the Seventh Heaven reverb on Black Friday sale. Man, Studio A is brilliant for drums. Had to make a new mix.

george
Attached Files
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Hi kaide, thanks again for posting these tracks. I've been trying out new plugins lately and having a blast with these.

Can't believe it took me 10 years to discover and abuse decapitator. lol Love it on snare.

SieQ on drum buss for air. Had to buy that one too.

Seventh Heaven. Bought it.

LittlePlate is still in demo mode, but I dig it so far. I gated and stereo widened it on this mix. Kind of obnoxious until the other instruments are in.
Attached Files
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:

sounds very good!
any chance for raw guitar DI?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodrive View Post
sounds very good!
any chance for raw guitar DI?
Sorry, the guitar was recorded through my real amps into an OX box so there is no DI recorded. I prefer to just get the sound I want and commit to it.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Sorry, the guitar was recorded through my real amps into an OX box so there is no DI recorded. I prefer to just get the sound I want and commit to it.
np
big thanks for sharing!
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear