The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Did I master this track right?
Old 21st October 2020
Here for the gear

Did I master this track right?

Hi there,

I'm relatively new to mixing/mastering and only have about a year and half of experience actively working with an audio DAW. I recently mixed/mastered a song and wanted to hear your opinion/feedback on it, especially the mastering part of it. By the it's my own composition with me on vocals/guitars as well!

Since I'm still clueless about mastering in general, the steps I took to "master" this track was as follows (I'm sorry if my process sounds very amateur...I'm still learning through trial and error)

1) As I compared the mix with my reference, I found that it's volume loudness was wayyy lower. So I imported the mix in a new pro tools session, and raised the volume fader slightly above 0 (I didn't want to over compress the track or simply add loudness through the compressor make up gain)

2) I added a Pro Tools stock compressor on it with a ratio of 1:6:1, very slow attack and about 60 ms release, maximum gain reduction of about 2.5 db, make up gain of about 2.5 db.

3)Added a stock EQ and tried to match the tone with the reference track as much as possible

Below's the link to the finished master I uploaded on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xvR3h82Mqs

Please do let me know what you think of this master (in terms of loudness, tone, compression, etc) and how I could have made in better. I've also attached the mix mp3 that I was working with, so that you can compare between the mix and the final master!

Thanks in advance!
Attached Files

Maya_Done2.mp3 (5.29 MB, 151 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Hey there, so I listened to it...and am happy to give my (spare) feedback. From what I hear, it sound great to me.

You know, I think I could only do that (give good feedback) if I heard the original. In other words, it seems like you took a song and made it "sound better". Is that correct? If so, I'd think giving the "before and after" could garner better feedback. If I'm misunderstanding what you did---well never mind. :-) Educate me, and I'll assist as I can.

[NEVER MIND--I obviously did a poor job reading, I see you "attached" the MP3 for reference. :-) I'll give a listen and give my feedback (I'm no expert, but neither is your audience).
Old 4 weeks ago
Okay, so I just listened side-by-side, and all I can say is you have some skill. As a lay person I can just say it sounded much clearer and brighter (AND with stronger low frequencies) than the original.

I'm just saying if you are looking for homework (seeing as you just got started) take a listen to the little jam session I did on one of my synths. I re-mastered it but it's still not as clear as I would like it. If you can do something with it, then here is the bucket of paint and brush....uhm, I mean here is the post: Looking for Mastering Capabilities Expert

Seriously, I can't tell you to add 10 kilowatts to the flux capacitor and what-not, but it's pretty black and white. It either sounds much better or it doesn't, and all bulls*hitting aside, I give you and A on that.
Old 4 weeks ago
Whatever you did. It worked.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHECKaBitchBeats View Post
Okay, so I just listened side-by-side, and all I can say is you have some skill. As a lay person I can just say it sounded much clearer and brighter (AND with stronger low frequencies) than the original.

I'm just saying if you are looking for homework (seeing as you just got started) take a listen to the little jam session I did on one of my synths. I re-mastered it but it's still not as clear as I would like it. If you can do something with it, then here is the bucket of paint and brush....uhm, I mean here is the post: Looking for Mastering Capabilities Expert

Seriously, I can't tell you to add 10 kilowatts to the flux capacitor and what-not, but it's pretty black and white. It either sounds much better or it doesn't, and all bulls*hitting aside, I give you and A on that.
Thanks a lot for your feedback...I really appreciate it! your comment motivates me to continue working on my audio editing skills, especially mastering. By the way, I clicked on that link you provided and it did not work (I got an error type of message). Thanks again for you feedback....cheers!
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
Whatever you did. It worked.
Thanks so much for your feedback...I appreciate it. Glad to know that I improved things a bit in the final mastered version!
📝 Reply
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear