The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Listen to This: Acoustic Guitar Focused Song
Old 10th September 2020
Here for the gear

Listen to This: Acoustic Guitar Focused Song

Hey everyone, would love to get some feedback on my first single off an upcoming 9 song album. The running theme of this album was to play everything on acoustic guitars and not use any electric guitars at all. Here is the video link for the first song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=in0MRdQGXS0
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi 3rd

First, I'll start by saying that the arrangement and lyrics are great. The guitar part in particular takes a lot of interesting melodic and harmonic turns.

However, I mostly lurk these threads to provide mix feedback, so that's what I'm gonna do.

1. I understand that the absence of any other instruments in the intro means you don't have to high pass the guitar, but I think the lows-to-low-mids on the accented notes are a little 'boomy' and could maybe be tamed using a multiband compressor or dynamic eq.

2. Your vocal could use some tonal shaping. More specifically, I think the 1-3k range is much too prominent and 'burns' a little (if you know what I mean). It's extra noticeable on the stressed vowels.

3. Again with the vocals, I think they're a little separated from the rest of the mix and could either be lowered or subjected to more bus compression.

4. The drums sound weirdly 'dulled'. The kick and snare, I feel, should definitely poke through a lot more. Crashes are good.

5. From 1:31, the vocals need de-essing

6. When the strings come in, I think they should be made some more room by automating the guitars to be lower. Before, the guitars take up a great deal of the mix's space (which works for then) so they easily bury the strings a lot more than is necessary. 2:16 to 2:24 is okay, but not optimal.

7. I wanted to end on a positive note, so I'll just say that the guitars sound really good.

Once again, I really like the song and wish you luck.
Old 2 weeks ago
Only thing I actually have a problem with is that I do not think the volume is appropriate for acoustic material. I dunno. Its nice, its just loud. Or seems loud. For what it is. I'd rather turn it up than turn it down. But thats just me.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerbdashrdashus View Post
Hi 3rd

First, I'll start by saying that the arrangement and lyrics are great. The guitar part in particular takes a lot of interesting melodic and harmonic turns.

However, I mostly lurk these threads to provide mix feedback, so that's what I'm gonna do.

1. I understand that the absence of any other instruments in the intro means you don't have to high pass the guitar, but I think the lows-to-low-mids on the accented notes are a little 'boomy' and could maybe be tamed using a multiband compressor or dynamic eq.

2. Your vocal could use some tonal shaping. More specifically, I think the 1-3k range is much too prominent and 'burns' a little (if you know what I mean). It's extra noticeable on the stressed vowels.

3. Again with the vocals, I think they're a little separated from the rest of the mix and could either be lowered or subjected to more bus compression.

4. The drums sound weirdly 'dulled'. The kick and snare, I feel, should definitely poke through a lot more. Crashes are good.

5. From 1:31, the vocals need de-essing

6. When the strings come in, I think they should be made some more room by automating the guitars to be lower. Before, the guitars take up a great deal of the mix's space (which works for then) so they easily bury the strings a lot more than is necessary. 2:16 to 2:24 is okay, but not optimal.

7. I wanted to end on a positive note, so I'll just say that the guitars sound really good.

Once again, I really like the song and wish you luck.
Incredible feedback, thank you. I think you're probably right about all of this. I'm at the point where I'm pretty exhausted trying to do everything myself. Financial limitations are what motivated me down that road in the first place. I'm sure many can relate.

I think I ultimately need some better equipment as well. My vocal mic is a Shure KSM 27, solid mic, but definitely not top end for a vocal studio mic. Combine that with a less than great voice and it ends up with certain frequencies sounding bad regardless of what I do. I've never sang on a studio level mic, so I'm not sure how much of a difference that would make, but I can only imagine people pay more money for them for a reason.

I also need to work with a real drummer and always wanted to do so. My goal was to try and put together a live band at some point but that seems unattainable given the current state (or lack thereof) of live music.

Anyways, means a lot that you took the time to write such a detailed response and I appreciate that you liked the song as well.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
Only thing I actually have a problem with is that I do not think the volume is appropriate for acoustic material. I dunno. Its nice, its just loud. Or seems loud. For what it is. I'd rather turn it up than turn it down. But thats just me.
Gotcha, are you referring to the overall master volume? Thanks for the response
Old 6 days ago
Yea how did you get it so loud? I wasnt joking man i had to turn it down haha.

What i am hearing could also be related apparent loudness related to the "brightness" goin on as well.
I listened to the song again. I think i can pin point some things that could make a difference in my opinion.

Acoustic guitar more lowend or bass guitar louder and more underneath the guitar part.
Vocal down.
Kick drum up.
Old 6 days ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyspencer View Post
Yea how did you get it so loud? I wasnt joking man i had to turn it down haha.

What i am hearing could also be related apparent loudness related to the "brightness" goin on as well.
I listened to the song again. I think i can pin point some things that could make a difference in my opinion.

Acoustic guitar more lowend or bass guitar louder and more underneath the guitar part.
Vocal down.
Kick drum up.
Weird, I didn't master it particularly loud, I've never heard that before. I've heard the overly bright complaint so maybe that's it. The problem at this point is I've already released two songs, trying to replace mixes at this point would be a nightmare and probably not worth the effort given that I have no fan base whatsoever and never will.
๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear