The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix Critique/Advice
Old 22nd July 2020
Gear Addict

Mix Critique/Advice

Hi fellas, Id love to invite you listen to some of my mixes in this playlist and give me some feeback, constructive criticism is always welcome or if you find that there are some frequencies that Im always boosting or cutting too much due to my room, etc...

Thanks in advance.

https://open.spotify.com/playlist/42...cq8gCsfUkpve0p
Old 27th July 2020
Gear Addict

no one?
Old 18th August 2020
Here for the gear

Rise and Fall

Don't really have many significant suggestions.

If you want to make a 'conventional' mix, I would suggest tighter mix bus compression (more 'glue', as they say). As it stands, though, i like the uniqueness that this track's dynamics represent.

I'm far from certain about this, but I would try brightening up the vocals a little. I'm not talking about air. I'm thinking maybe a bell boost somewhere around 4500-6000. That's what I would try, at least. We're talking very subtle changes here.

Besides those things, this sounds very professional and absolutely worthy of the paying public (Same goes for the next two songs btw).

Rumbasoneando

Great work on this one. Nicely coloured, and again with the good dynamics. The vocal doubling in particular is very tasteful, and borderline unnoticeable.

My first complaint is that some of the horn frequencies can 'bite' a little too hard. I understand that that's part of the genre, but I still think those could be tamed just a little with either a transient shaper or dynamic eq. They should sizzle, but not burn. I think 2:35 should be the benchmark for edginess vs pleasantness

My second complaint is that I expected the stringed instrument at 2:23 to have a little more definition to it. Mids and high mids get good representation, but highs and air are a little lacking to my ears. Then again, I don't think I've heard that instrument in real life, so my opinion is extra limited.

A.M Sorry

One and a half issues

The one issue is that I think you can and should get away with giving the sub a little more definition. I wouldn't usually recommend that, but I think it's appropriate for such a sparse mix. Right now, it sounds a little 'blunt' for something with so much prominence in the arrangement.

The half-issue is that is is not nearly as compressed as the typical pop song. If that is by design, than this isn't an issue. If it is accidental, I would suggest trying to find ways to compress more while still 'respecting the performances' in the way you do so well.

I really only have time to do three. You're really talented and I'm quite frankly jealous. Good luck.
Old 18th August 2020
Gear Addict

Thanks Cerbdashrdashus, I really appreciate your time and words, it is really interesting that someone actually recommends me to compress even more, I normally try to do it less and less you know, I think Rise and fall might lack a bit of glue, it is true, at the same time we kinda like it that way, more dynamic and in this case I think it sounds more expensive that way but I might be missing a bit of punch, on the other hand 100% agree with the vocal sound.

Rumbansoneando sounds a million times louder and more compress than Rise and fall and both are 100% acoustic instrument songs, the reason I put them in that order is to show off that I can go either way, more dynamic/less glue or more modern and tight, all of them were mastered by me too, and this one, Rumbasoneando I did the recording too, I think we went to far with this one, I think I kinda screw it up a bit in the mastering, too bright and too much limiting but the artists wanted something like this so...again, I think it would sound much better with just a hair less bright and limiting. About the brass, its all just one trumpet player and a u87 in a small not well treated room so I did what I could but a bit of bite again, its ok for this Cuban fellas.

AM Sorry supposed to be a regular modern Pop song, the low end as you know is the hardest part, sometimes you think is too much and is not and viceversa... I guess thats what separates a $250 mixer from a 3k mixer, or one of the most important things. Interesting that you still miss a bit of glueing and L2 vibe here, I think again its too bright and a bit over limited but hey... I know there are some other pop songs that are way more LOL

Thanks for your input, have a nice week.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear