The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dub Music
Old 26th May 2020
Dub Music

It's interesting as so much of the activity you guys have interest in (including myself) is really traced back to Dub music. I saw Dub happen I was watching these old guys in the UK (south of London Wadsworth, Brixton, etc) and they played Dub.

This is the best video I can give you that explains the vibe, but here is what I want to tell you. Dub was the very first genre that was based off sampled/digital music.

It was rap before there was rap. Yes, I know all about the history of Hip-Hop and just go look for yourself..they had these Rastafarians that would get up there and talk per the Dubbed beat. In like '81, I had a chained VHS setup going and would sample sound effects from TV commercials and couple it with Reggae chords, off my Sears Stereo system (which I STILL rock)

But yet, Dub never got the recognition it really deserved. Believe me when I tell you, I'm not some 'genre Police' I was just there when it all got crackin', so this is factual history. Dub, is what really kicked this whole EDM scene off. Everyone knew how the music was being created...that's what gave it that edge. It was "technology".

I imagine Dub's lack of acknowledgement is due to the fact it was older cats doing it. They never took to the Information Superhighway too much, and by that time Techno/Trance were an full effect and it was off from there.

Old 26th May 2020
Above is Dub Circa 1981.

Below is Dub Circa 2020.

I gotta give it up to Dub...that's some real inside sh*t for whomever wants to know. Go do your homework and you will see. Party, people, in all candor, I would pay little to any attention to channels discussing the "history of EDM" . Like I said, in the end, it's only music so could only give so much of a rat's ass, but the vast majority of them have it completely incorrect.

We should all strive for factual history, so I'll bring this to the moan zone, but I'm in shock at some of the things i see. It's almost surreal to me. This has always been a downside of the Internet though (folks pandering).

I worked for a payment gateway that on-boarded a startup called Paypal in the day, and did business with Chad Hurley. Where was this music when we were among--if not the--first to put Techno music on "social media". I had my sh*t on Napster, YouTube and my own site back in the day. I don't remember these guys
so I have no idea where they are getting their information from, but be mad at them...not me. Ha ha

Trust me, for you real Techno guys out there, I've got something that will drop your jaws when it comes to what people are (literally) selling and calling Techno.

But anyway, watch the Dub 2020 beat above if you are in to Dub and tell me it's not hard AF.
Old 26th May 2020
Forgive here is he 2020 Dub beat.

Old 22nd July 2020
We Keeps it Going

To help those understand the impact of Dub...

Dub took electric music from the scientists and eccentric music professors, and put it in the streets.

99% of us who have anything to do with "electronic music" can thank Dub for most (and in some instances ALL) of it. These are the facts as I know them.

I'm sure I've written about this before, but out of all the genres I have been privy to, Dub is without a doubt the one I have the most respect and admiration for.

I have been tentative to really stay crackin' on Dub beats because I've always been very trepid of ensuring I do it right, as again I have so much respect fot the genre, and the cats I used to watch really create magic back in the day. I'm talking about South London, early 80's. I had a rastafarian neighbor, all those cats are as cool as it gets IMO. They turned me on to it, and the influences of that genre has the largest footprint than all other genres combined, IMO. Most people just don't know, but Dub is what kicked it ALL off. That is what I clearly remember anyway.

This should also be considered a World Beat, because from my perspective, it is very niche to South London. This masks is more incredible, a genre that never really even went national, let alone world level has such an influoence. Much of it was due to the progressiveness of it, specifically the way the music was made. Basically you had a bunch of South London Rastafarians get on the mic and drop the music they know: reggae. The you had electric reggae and from there they tricked it up.
Facts. If there are any of you old cats from that era, I would love to hear from you.
Old 22nd July 2020
Old 28th July 2020
Continuing to hold it down for you old cats who play/played that Dub (or even fans of it).

It's a Dub thing--still.

๐Ÿ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
๐Ÿ–จ๏ธ Show Printable Version
โœ‰๏ธ Email this Page
๐Ÿ” Search thread
๐ŸŽ™๏ธ View mentioned gear