The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Would love some objective feedback!
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Would love some objective feedback!

Am feeling a bit lost in my own head. I can hear little things that I could clean up; but by and large I don't have a sense for whether or not these come across as imbalanced or poorly mixed or just not very good songs. And trying to get friends and family to give you feedback, well, yeah that's probably why I'm so desperate to get other ears on this.

I'm doing everything on these tracks; full production and (poor) mixing. But if any of the talented ears around these parts has suggestions/critique/direction, I'm freakin' starved for any feedback.

I just released this song:
https://soundcloud.com/icw/move

It's part of a demo album I'm working on. Happy for any and all feedback, on this or any of the tracks up on SC.

And thank you for taking a moment. I really, REALLY appreciate it!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Are you using a sub with your monitors? Kick drum seems really sub heavy.

Did you use any reference mixes, and if so, which ones?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Thanks, Joe. Super helpful.

I'm mostly mixing on cans and occasionally my jbls, no sub. I do spot checks in the car. I did notice an unwelcome thud/knock on the kick - but my headphones (650s and DT770s) are very neutral on the low end, so I don't hear it as much when I'm sitting at my desk.

I didn't use a reference mix, nor do I really ever. I'm afraid I don't fully understand reference track best practices; and by that I mean I don't understand which song I'm supposed to pick to reference against or why I should pick one over another. Is it kind of arbitrary or do I have to think of something that sounds like my track?

Sorry for the noob questions, but super appreciate the help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search