The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Dense tech-house + vocals + sampled instruments - mix and master - need opinion!
Old 7th October 2019
Dense tech-house + vocals + sampled instruments - mix and master - need opinion!

Hi, Gearslutz people,

just published this a week ago:

I've been working on this track for a very long time, first producing, then mixing and mastering. It's a poetry piece from a Polish 16th century poet, Jan Kochanowski, regarding his dead daughter Urszula ("Lament no. VIII").

Yep, I know, one should never mix/master his own music, but three well renowned mixing engineers didn't make it. One said "this isn't possible to mix according to your references", second one was too busy to take it, third one just stopped replying.

The piece was very difficult to mix, this is true. Very dense, with many layers, I tried to find suitable, audible place for each of them.

I tried many, many versions, then decided to finally publish. Then tried more and... published again, just for my portfolio/website:

I did it, because I went for too much of the highs in the first version and didn't make all dynamics and layer levels glue together like I wanted it.

My main mixing plugins were:

- Fab Filter Pro-Q3
- UAD 1176AE
- UAD Distressor
- UAD LA-2A
- UAD Lexicon 480L
- Lexicon PCM Native
- Waves F6 dynamic EQ
- UAD Softube Vocoder
- Nuendo VoiceDesigner

My mastering chain was:

- FabFilter Pro-Q3
- UAD Manley MassivePassive
- Ozone 8 Multiband Imager
- UAD Shadow Hills (1st ver), then Plugin Alliance SPL Iron (2nd ver),
- Sonnox Oxford Inflator,
- PSP Xenon.

My reference tracks were:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pz29ToCtd1U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPZx2qqVyAU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erK1sMjW7P8

A couple of questions to you, my fellow Gearslutz:

1. Which master suits you better?
2. Would you change anything?
3. Do you think that dancing, erm, poems is nice and has a prospect on club dancefloors? (Don't take it too serious!)

I'm an experienced guy in film mixing, but not in music mixing, I still think my work is very flawed and I see lots of room for improvement. Any recommendations, especially from pro mixing engineers, highly appreciiated!

Thanks in advance, hope to hear from you!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search