The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Need harsh opinions on a new mix.
Old 21st September 2019
  #1
Gear Nut
Need harsh opinions on a new mix.

This is the first mix I've done in years, so it was a bit tough.

The song was a bit unique so I had to really be creative with what I wanted in the forefront and how much of an impact I wanted it to make.

Also used a slightly different setup than I'm normally used to. I used my neve 517 and 543 and ran them through a focusrite scarlett 1820.



Tell me what you guys think, mix first then the song haha
Old 21st September 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosserkX View Post
This is the first mix I've done in years, so it was a bit tough.

The song was a bit unique so I had to really be creative with what I wanted in the forefront and how much of an impact I wanted it to make.

Also used a slightly different setup than I'm normally used to. I used my neve 517 and 543 and ran them through a focusrite scarlett 1820.



Tell me what you guys think, mix first then the song haha
Sounds really good to me. Perhaps a tiny bit more top end on the snare, and pull up the cymbal tracks a tiny bit.

And a tiny cut on the low midrange of the vocal, cut a little "mud". You'll need to adjust the volume of the track when you do this. Basically make the track a little more "open" sounding.
Old 21st September 2019
  #3
Gear Nut
Only if I had one of them really handy ubk clariphonics around. I still mixed it at home with headphones, using my lynxtwo as an interface and my UAD plugins.
Old 23rd September 2019
  #4
Gear Nut
Does anyone feel the kick is too boomy?! It's our first single so I can always adjust for the next one.
Old 24th September 2019
  #5
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosserkX View Post
Does anyone feel the kick is too boomy?! It's our first single so I can always adjust for the next one.
The kick sounded fine, although I like to cut much of the reverb when the other instruments come in. One of mine:



Lol, and in retrospect, I think my guitars are a tiny bit too bright!
Old 3rd October 2019
  #6
Gear Head
 

Hey there,

I'm not experienced, or a pro, so take my opinions for what they're worth.

The kick wasn't so much boomy as it was...odd. It certainly had its own unique sound but when it was banging away by itself at the beginning it just sounded a bit strange. Maybe too unique.

It seemed to me the whole track was a bit dark. Maybe that's a mixing choice, and there are worse crimes. But it began to sound like there was a sock over the speakers. What if one or two of the elements were brighter? Like maybe the snare(a sniff), the high end of the kit(a bit more) and the lead vocals(quite a bit more). I like dark guitars so personally I'm happy with them the way they are.

Again, I'd like to hear an experienced voice chime in.

By the way, I really liked the song, and that's about 90% of what matters.


Cheers
Keith
Old 5th October 2019
  #7
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonculture View Post
Hey there,

I'm not experienced, or a pro, so take my opinions for what they're worth.

The kick wasn't so much boomy as it was...odd. It certainly had its own unique sound but when it was banging away by itself at the beginning it just sounded a bit strange. Maybe too unique.

It seemed to me the whole track was a bit dark. Maybe that's a mixing choice, and there are worse crimes. But it began to sound like there was a sock over the speakers. What if one or two of the elements were brighter? Like maybe the snare(a sniff), the high end of the kit(a bit more) and the lead vocals(quite a bit more). I like dark guitars so personally I'm happy with them the way they are.

Again, I'd like to hear an experienced voice chime in.

By the way, I really liked the song, and that's about 90% of what matters.


Cheers
Keith


sick thanks dude. It def was a mixing choice to have it sound thicker and darker, I was just hoping it wouldn't cause too much weirdness in the mix
Old 5th October 2019
  #8
Gear Head
 

Oh, by the way, you asked for harsh opinions, so:

Your hair sucks man. Your car is way ugly. That guitar you used is not the brand I'd have used. Chuck it out and buy a more expensive one.

Being helpful
Keith
Old 5th October 2019
  #9
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonculture View Post
Oh, by the way, you asked for harsh opinions, so:

Your hair sucks man. Your car is way ugly. That guitar you used is not the brand I'd have used. Chuck it out and buy a more expensive one.

Being helpful
Keith



Here's another question for you thread readers, what genre would you say this most falls under? I've been going with post rock/alternative

This is definitely the most progressive of our songs (as in not pop formula)
Old 6th October 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsonculture View Post
Oh, by the way, you asked for harsh opinions, so:

Your hair sucks man. Your car is way ugly. That guitar you used is not the brand I'd have used. Chuck it out and buy a more expensive one.

Being helpful
Keith




Quote:
what genre would you say this most falls under? I've been going with post rock/alternative
Yes, that sounds about right.

But when regular people ask me what style I do, I just shorten it to "rock music" so they don't get all confused.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump