The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Mix Advice, Feedback & Critique - Acoustic Duo Cover of Pop Song
Old 13th August 2019
Here for the gear

Mix Advice, Feedback & Critique - Acoustic Duo Cover of Pop Song

Hey Guys,

Followed the Mix Off section of this forum for a long time and am hoping to get some advise or feedback on my mix of an acoustic Cover my duo partner and I did of a popular song "Falling Like The Stars".

I recorded, mixed and mastered the track (I use the word Mastered loosely though)

Gear Used:

DAW: Reaper
Interface: Motu Ultralite AVB
Monitors: KRK Rokit 6 + Audio Technica ATH‑M50
My Vocal: Rode K2 into Warm Audio WA12
Female Vocal: SE 2200a into WA12
Guitar: Maton EB808 DI TPS II

Im interested to get your feedback on the overall mix and first impressions as well.

Audio is MP3 192kbps

I had problems with the mix translating to other speakers, Id get it sounding good on my KRK monitors, but would sound thin in the car, airpods and other speakers.

I soon learnt and figured that the combination of the KRK monitors and my room was heavily exciting the lows and low mids (100hz to 350hz).

Ive done some treatment to my room and without a doubt made a difference. Looking to purchase some new monitors, as ive found that the KRK does in fact excite the low end.

Thanks in Advance

Feel free also to check out my Acoustic Cover Duo on Facebook and Insta.

www.facebook.com/jbandmeoriginal
Attached Files
Old 18th August 2019
Gear Addict

Here you go my man... Enjoy!
Attached Files
Old 30th September 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lackatee View Post
Here you go my man... Enjoy!
Lackatee, am I gathering you remixed the original tracks? I'm new to the thread. If you did, really well done, and you did some things to the original mix that I would have done, esp Vox and eq/pan of the keyboard.

Some questions: How did you EQ the guitar? Did you find the original stems clean? What reverb are you using on the vocals? They have this masterful combination of warm blend and clear separation.
Old 3rd October 2019
Gear Head

Hey there, I'm not experienced, or a pro, so take it with a grain of salt.

Mostly I personally like the tune and the treatment.

I liked the vocal treatment, though maybe make him a sniff brighter, and her a frog hair darker, so they don't have such a different timbre to their voices. So it felt a bit more like they were in the same room recording at the same time or something. Not sure if I'm describing that well.

It would sound sweet if the the guitar was recorded through a mic. It sounds to me like it was done through a piezo pickup, and doesn't quite have all those rich overtones.

The guitar is nice, at the beginning, as an introduction to the song, but the that pattern gets a bit monotonous. Maybe pull it back a bit as the piano comes in and introduce another element, like a guitar strumming(sparse 12 string might sound great) or doing something different, even a shaker would add some texture.

All good though. It's only music. Nobody dies.

It would be interesting to hear a comment from someone who really knew their stuff.

Keith
Old 3rd October 2019
I agree with Keith's analysis and feedback (@arsonculture).

I performed some corrective work (on the posted sample) to improve the vocal separation and expand the dynamics. I shared this with the OP (Justin):
Attached Files
Old 3rd October 2019
Opinions on the original tracks - esp those recorded with TPS II

I'm interested in your view on the TPS II pre-amp quality, if you can separate it out from other tracking elements (room/mic placement).

Yours,

Paul
Old 9th October 2019
Here for the gear

Thanks so much for all the feedback!

It was a quick recording for the purposes of a little Promo on our FB page.

arsonculture, your feedback is very valuable, thank you very much. I agree with everything you described, but I myself struggle to achieve these results. As for Instrumentation, You are very correct, It doesnt get a bit Mono, and a shaker would have been nice.

pkward88, The TPS II is something I bought a long time ago, and was my first Pre I ever owned. There days I use it for a bit of color, and I like it because it is so versatile with all its different voicings! The main reason Ive kept it handy is because its 2ch or stereo, which I use on Overheads and such.

Ive since this recording purchased a few new toys;

Great River ME-NV1
Shure SM7b
Blue Bluebird (Im hoping to use on my acoustic)
Old 19th October 2019
Gear Maniac

There is a lot of good work that has been done on the track. I feel like the vocals want more reverb. Sometimes acoustic tracks can be folksy, but they can also be epic. I feel like the track wants to be more epic... more reverb and delays and stuff. If you do it right, it won't draw attention to itself. It will simply sound epic. It sounds like the reverbs are halfway-epic. I would try going full epic and see what happens.

Last edited by gearstudent; 19th October 2019 at 11:43 AM..
Old 20th October 2019
Here for the gear

Hi there - I absolutely love the track, and I'm blown away by the performance as well as the quality of the recording.

My acoustic guitars always sound harsh and I'm not exacly sure what I'm doing wrong, but this is sweet and rings out in just the right way.

Amazing work, sir!

Mat (noob)
Old 27th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by matoneill View Post
Hi there - I absolutely love the track, and I'm blown away by the performance as well as the quality of the recording.

My acoustic guitars always sound harsh and I'm not exacly sure what I'm doing wrong, but this is sweet and rings out in just the right way.

Amazing work, sir!

Mat (noob)
Hey Mat!

Thanks for the positive feedback

Honestly I did very minimal on the guitar. Its just a DI into a WA12 from a Maton EBG808 Blackwood - AP5 Pro Pickup, both Piezo and Mic built in.

I compressed very very lightly, Ive personally found too much compression on acoustic guitar causes it to sound harsh, pumpy and almost sound plastic...??? Im not sure how to describe it.

In a song like this, I think the acoustic guitar needs to be dynamic, though my playing is very consistent.

I think I bumped a little low and 8k.

Other than that its going to a verb send lightly.

I hope this helps. There is so much id do differently now.. but I cant complain too much cause this was a rushed last minute thing.
Old 28th October 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboz1992 View Post
Hey Mat!

Thanks for the positive feedback

Honestly I did very minimal on the guitar. Its just a DI into a WA12 from a Maton EBG808 Blackwood - AP5 Pro Pickup, both Piezo and Mic built in.

I compressed very very lightly, Ive personally found too much compression on acoustic guitar causes it to sound harsh, pumpy and almost sound plastic...??? Im not sure how to describe it.

In a song like this, I think the acoustic guitar needs to be dynamic, though my playing is very consistent.

I think I bumped a little low and 8k.

Other than that its going to a verb send lightly.

I hope this helps. There is so much id do differently now.. but I cant complain too much cause this was a rushed last minute thing.

Yes I suspect I might be going a little overboard with the compression - and I only have a SM58 or an NT1A to choose between, and either way I'm working in a not-very-well-treated room.

Still, thanks for your insights, it's very generous of you to go into so much detail. Speaking of which, when you say light compression, does that mean that you're just setting the compressor to catch any errant peaks, or are you setting the threshold low and going for a softer attack? Generally speaking, I mean...

Sorry if that seems like a dumb question, but everything I know I learned from trial and error, mixed with lots of conflicting opinions from Youtube!

Anyway the work is great, and it's always good to hear things you could do better, otherwise you're just treading water

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search