The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Newbie production - what's missing? Production, playing skills...
Old 12th August 2019
Gear Nut

Newbie production - what's missing? Production, playing skills...

Hello,

Last night I've played with Logic trying to replicate some of the feeling of

This Girl, from Kungs & Cookin' On 3 Burners

I've just tried to play with the most characteristic lick from the song, so I could have a substrate to play with audio production on Logic Pro X. Despite my playing inaccuracies, I'd like to know what do you think I could do to make this song sound more on the "professional" side of production. I think the overall impression is it's a very amateur recording. My guitar had a string broken in the middle of the session, so I had to work with what I had previously recorded. I think I could play several more times to get a cleaner sound.

Gear I used:
Guitar: Gibson LP Studio 2014
Bass: Ibanez SRA 550
DAW: Logic Pro X
Keyboard controller: Korg Microkey 37
Interface: Apogee Element 46

Some things I noted and would like to improve:
1. Guitar isn't so smooth; perhaps I should play more to get a cleaner sound;
2. Bass isn't heard in some earphones (it sound pretty well on iPhone earpods and my studio headphones).
3. Keyboard is pretty childish. I'm not a keyboardist, but I think I could play better than this and/or choose better tones.
4. Overall mix doesn't have a "professional ambience", although I have applied the "stereo spread" plugin on some tracks of this recording. So the original mix were even worse than this.
Attached Files

ThisGirl.mp3 (2.01 MB, 107 views)

Old 12th August 2019
Here for the gear

I'm gonna put some thoughts out there with the best intentions and hopefully it helps.

I thought the groove itself was pretty funky! The proximity effect of the guitar isn't bad at all. I'd say the high end could be tamed a bit, as the end of the phrase you were playing is really tough to listen to.

The snare and the kick need to be much more prominent. The bass is definitely hard to focus on as well. Try EQing to compliment the bass and snare. If compression and eq doesn't do it for the bass, try playing around with sidechaining.

You said the keys were childish.. I just think they sound underdeveloped. Doesn't sound like you invested too too much time into the composition.

Don't beat yourself up.. Compared to CLA and AS, all of our recordings are rudimentary lol
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Temporary name View Post
I'm gonna put some thoughts out there with the best intentions and hopefully it helps.

I thought the groove itself was pretty funky! The proximity effect of the guitar isn't bad at all. I'd say the high end could be tamed a bit, as the end of the phrase you were playing is really tough to listen to.

The snare and the kick need to be much more prominent. The bass is definitely hard to focus on as well. Try EQing to compliment the bass and snare. If compression and eq doesn't do it for the bass, try playing around with sidechaining.

You said the keys were childish.. I just think they sound underdeveloped. Doesn't sound like you invested too too much time into the composition.

Don't beat yourself up.. Compared to CLA and AS, all of our recordings are rudimentary lol
Thank you... I really don't know how to EQ bass and drums. My friends usually say kicks and bass aren't audible on consumer earphones. Guitar also sounds too punchy/gritty to my taste... I'd like to make it sound more subtle on some frequencies, but really don't know which frequency range to attenuate.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search