The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Need help with vocal's reverb, in order for mixes to sound good even on smartphones
Old 3rd August 2019
Here for the gear

Need help with vocal's reverb, in order for mixes to sound good even on smartphones

Hello, i do YouTube covers as a hobby.

I always had a problem putting the right reverb on vocals. The main reason was that, it could sound very full and balanced on my monitor headphones, but on smartphone speakers, the vocals sound dry, weak, and in your face. If i increase the reverb's volume, i don't like that i can hear it so easily, and also makes me feel like that my voice is dependent on it.

Lately i found a very neat trick, to EQ the reverb with a low and high cut like this, which allows me to raise the reverb's volume without being to reverby. Here is my latest cover where i used a medium plate on vocals, but had very hard time selecting the right amount of reverb to make it sound good on smartphones, but this trick saved me. Do you have any advice?

Old 5th August 2019
Gear Nut

I'm hearing it in the truck, I think it sounds good. The sound of reverb on a system, a phone, and headphones are all completely different. IMO You generally shouldn't mix reverb with headphones on, it can give you a false sense of space, eventhough it sounds better. Anything on a phone speaker sounds dryer and mid forward. Some people "mix for the phone" so IDK.
Good song tho.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search