The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What's wrong with this mix?
Old 29th July 2019
Here for the gear

What's wrong with this mix?

Hey, not a producer but a vocalist. I've finally finished a song I've been working on and sent it to an online service to have mixed and mastered. They sent the first finished track to me with too much reverb on the vocals. I also questioned whether or not autotune would add any enhancement to my voice. They didn't respond with their thoughts, but instead added it to the revision. I feel it made things worse. Plus, I'm still worried that the vocals don't stand out enough. For anyone willing to use their ear, I would really appreciate it so that I can convey to them what I need and limit the number of revisions.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qj...1bDdplMX2Nffyg
Old 29th July 2019
Lives for gear

Hi

First off, the singing is excellent. Of course I am saying that without knowing how much is autotuned

The vox are a bit too dry, but that's a personal preference thing more than anything. However, a good stereo reverb properly applied will add some depth, which might help a bit with...

I'm still worried that the vocals don't stand out enough.

Lead vox? Yeah - it doesn't. Backing vox are right there, tho.

The issue with the lead vox, is that the arrangement, and that kick sample.

First, the kick sample - you wouldn't think that a kick drum can compete with a female vocal track, but it's def possible, and I hear it here. The sample can be eq'd a bit, but if you have the ability to choose a diff sample, you should consider that.

Next, the piano flurries and flute are REALLY competing with the vocal. And the fact that they are mono (or at the very least, extremely narrow) is hurting. Either make them stereo (not as wide as the back vox), or pan them a bit to either side. That will help some, but the real issue is the range in which they play.

Hope this helps.
Old 29th July 2019
Gear Head

only thing I would say is those verse vocals are a bit dry. Granted, this genre is far from anything I work with, so take everything with a grain of salt.

I thought the vox stood out appropriately. The fact that you are the vocalist might contribute to your thinking they should stand out more, everyone thinks their part should be more present. Not out of ego, its just subconscious, and the guy mixing is thinking full picture.

All in all, if you don't like it, get someone else to do it. Just because you paid someone to do it does not mean they can give you exactly what you want. Try a different engineer.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Head

Arrangements and vocals seem different songs, and this cannot be solved by a mixing engineer. Chord progression and the instrumental does not seem appropriate for your melodies.
Lead vox:
Autotune seems to get out of control at times. Maybe a little delay or another reverb can benefit.
Anyway my recommendation: Go back to the production instance. You have a beautiful voice and this could be a beautiful song.

Sorry my english im using a translator

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search