The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
My jazz group - bass isn't sitting right?
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by henryrobinett View Post
Fractal Axe Fx III.
I play with a guy who plays 6-string and pedal Steel and he gets great sounds from his Fractal.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabbo View Post
Yeah I liked the drums.
Also want to add: listening to jazz while driving around in the car, you NEVER can hear the bass solos, just sayin.
True. There’s a well respected jazz DJ friend who warned me not to EVER put a bass solo on a record if you want air play. He just puts it in the dust bin. Because you can’t hear it.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by elamberth View Post
Nice playing. Bass didn’t sound distinct to me. How did it sound in the room?
Maybe cutting freq to help it firm up?
Maybe listening to Hendrix’s first album - They had a way of making the bass come through on cheap am radios of the day, which weren’t exactly “full range” speakers.
Jimi’s first album wasn’t jazz, even though it had done Mitch Mitchell Love or Confusion jazz drumming. And Redding played electric bass.

The bass being indistinct is kind of the nature of this beast. It’s going to come in and out a little.

BTW I cut a LOT. I’m not sure which version you heard. Probably the latest one.
Old 24th July 2019
Lives for gear

Have you tried anything like the MAAT RSPhaseShifter? I've been testing it for the past few weeks on live recordings, and you can definitely change the way an instrument sits in the mix if you have a lot of open mics in the same room. On upright, you can hear the phase shift between the bottom of the instrument and the mid-range / strings, if that makes sense. Originally I tried the UAD IBP, but it just didn't work for me like the analog one does. The RSPHaseShifter seems to function differently and gives me more tonal / space options, but I haven't used it enough to purchase quite yet. I'm surprised there's not more info about it around here.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
True. There’s a well respected jazz DJ friend who warned me not to EVER put a bass solo on a record if you want air play. He just puts it in the dust bin. Because you can’t hear it.
Ha! I just listen to the silence!
Old 24th July 2019
Quote:
Yeah I liked the drums.
Also want to add: listening to jazz while driving around in the car, you NEVER can hear the bass solos, just sayin.
Agreed. The question is, do you want to follow in that [time tested] aesthetic. No right or wrong, just what you feel works for the song.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Agreed. The question is, do you want to follow in that [time tested] aesthetic. No right or wrong, just what you feel works for the song.
exactly. I’m not interested in the time tested way necessarily. If it works, great. The ears have it. But I don’t hear Jimi’s First album as a good reference for me on this. But could be.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Well, I’ve heard some stuff by Christian McBride that cuts pretty well. Haven’t studied it so not sure how he does it. But you’re right the time tested aesthetic leaves one hanging. I’ve never recorded an upright, I think it would be quite a challenge.
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well, I’ve heard some stuff by Christian McBride that cuts pretty well. Haven’t studied it so not sure how he does it. But you’re right the time tested aesthetic leaves one hanging. I’ve never recorded an upright, I think it would be quite a challenge.
its my biggest challenge. The room is pretty isolated and well treated. So it’s not that. The instrument is just challenging.

McBride is a beast.

Last edited by henryrobinett; 24th July 2019 at 04:06 AM..
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
its my biggest challenge. The room is pretty isolated abd well treated. So it’s not that. The instrument is just challenging.

McBride is a beast.
Do you take a DI, or mic an amp (if the player uses one)?
Old 24th July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Do you take a DI, or mic an amp (if the player uses one)?
no DI and no amp. Just mic.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Guru

Here’s a new recording. Sprung. We recorded it today. Almost zero EQ on anything. Moved the bass back. Maybe 15”. I think it sounds much better.

https://soundcloud.com/henry-robinett/sprung-1
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Addict

Bass is sitting much better. Another nice tune Henry. You’re doing some amazing stuff on guitar but it’s getting smeared by the chorus detune reverb wash effect. I would love to hear what you’re doing toward the end when you’re playing double time.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Bass is sitting much better. Another nice tune Henry. You’re doing some amazing stuff on guitar but it’s getting smeared by the chorus detune reverb wash effect. I would love to hear what you’re doing toward the end when you’re playing double time.
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words! But re my guitar sound, I hear you but that's my sound man. I love the chorus and the reverb. I'm less concerned with hearing every single articulation. I've moved far away from the 50s and 60s jazz guitar timbre. I think of it like those sax players who rip and just kind of smear the notes.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Guru

Sounds really cool. That bass especially is sounding good.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
Sounds really cool. That bass especially is sounding good.
thank you! It was proximity effect before. This time I applied zero eq or compression. That’s just what it is.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Thanks. I appreciate the kind words! But re my guitar sound, I hear you but that's my sound man. I love the chorus and the reverb. I'm less concerned with hearing every single articulation. I've moved far away from the 50s and 60s jazz guitar timbre. I think of it like those sax players who rip and just kind of smear the notes.
I hear what you’re saying. I have a great chorus pedal and I love to thicken things up while tracking. In the heat of the moment, in the room, everything sounds great. Upon listening back I often discover that I overdid the effects. Of course that’s not your problem, you love your tone. I can accept that. I’m not suggesting a vintage jazz tone, however. Anyway, great work and thanks for posting these tunes. By the way, If you ever come out to the coast to cool off PM me. Fort Bragg fog can be a beautiful thing.
Old 31st July 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
I hear what you’re saying. I have a great chorus pedal and I love to thicken things up while tracking. In the heat of the moment, in the room, everything sounds great. Upon listening back I often discover that I overdid the effects. Of course that’s not your problem, you love your tone. I can accept that. I’m not suggesting a vintage jazz tone, however. Anyway, great work and thanks for posting these tunes. By the way, If you ever come out to the coast to cool off PM me. Fort Bragg fog can be a beautiful thing.
I love Fort Bragg - Mendocino - Point Arena!
Old 31st July 2019
Lives for gear

Much better Henry! Nailed it! With a hint of EQ all the definition would just pop out.

The drums sound particularly good in this natural state. Thumbsup!
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Much better Henry! Nailed it! With a hint of EQ all the definition would just pop out.

awesome! Thank you!
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post

Agree. I was thinking a bump around 8-900 hz might bring out some of the wood. Love the drummer’s work as well.
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I love Fort Bragg - Mendocino - Point Arena!
Not a lot of venues for live music around here but Fort Bragg actually has a jazz scene. I don’t get out much anymore but the Tap Room, part of North Coast Brewery, hosts live jazz weekly. Keep posting your music, I’m enjoying it.
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Not a lot of venues for live music around here but Fort Bragg actually has a jazz scene. I don’t get out much anymore but the Tap Room, part of North Coast Brewery, hosts live jazz weekly. Keep posting your music, I’m enjoying it.
I had a drummer friend give me a card for The North Coast Brewery there. I have yet to call. I'm a terrible businessman. I'll get on it. I'm just getting to the place where I feel my band is ready to go out for more gigs.

Thanks!
Old 1st August 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
I had a drummer friend give me a card for The North Coast Brewery there. I have yet to call. I'm a terrible businessman. I'll get on it. I'm just getting to the place where I feel my band is ready to go out for more gigs.

Thanks!
It might be worth checking into. Not just a local scene. They’re attracting outside artists for weekend gigs year round. I guess now I have to get my lazy self down there and report back. Ha

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search