The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
This track mixed without plugins, with live reverberation.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

This track mixed without plugins, with live reverberation.

I've finished my new track that was recorded and mixed without using any plugins. I also recorded live reverberation in the forest and in a big hall.
All the sounds in the music, including the kick drum, were generated using Behringer model D. I also recorded a cymbal from my drum set and a couple of sound effects.

Used hardware:

Sound card RME Fireface UFX+
Behringer model D
Equalizer Klark Teknik EQP-KT
Compressor Elysia Xpressor
Microphones Rode NT4, a pair of Lewitt LCT 550

Track was mixed using Samplitude Pro X4

Is anybody here tried to mix the music using live reverb? And what do you think about mixing without plugins?
If you had such experience could you show any examples?

Thank you!
Attached Thumbnails
This track mixed without plugins, with live reverberation.-location-1.jpg   This track mixed without plugins, with live reverberation.-location-2.jpg   This track mixed without plugins, with live reverberation.-big-hall_1.jpg   This track mixed without plugins, with live reverberation.-big-hall_2.jpg  
Attached Files

Time.mp3 (6.03 MB, 524 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Beautiful!

Great composition, mixing, engineering.

No plugins? Even more impressive!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison View Post
Beautiful!

Thank you so much!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Without plugins is a feat Id like to try. Ive also been wondering about natural reverb, thats awesome. That forest pic got the wheel spinning.

My GF walked in and thought I was watching "Stranger Things" lol
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garage Rodeo View Post
Without plugins is a feat Id like to try. Ive also been wondering about natural reverb, thats awesome. That forest pic got the wheel spinning.

My GF walked in and thought I was watching "Stranger Things" lol
Just try that!
It's fun and you will learn a lot of useful things working with live reverb.
Wish you good luck!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Morrison View Post
Beautiful!

+1

Couldn't agree more.

Nice to have a thread like this for a change.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by stixstudios View Post
+1

Couldn't agree more.

Nice to have a thread like this for a change.
Thank you! Glad to hear that!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict
Cool! Genuinely thinking outside the box! ('scuse the pun)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
Cool! Genuinely thinking outside the box! ('scuse the pun)
Oh yes, I love thinking outside the box Thank you!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Trance music?

What I really really like is not just the tune, but also, that this post is not about reverb software plugins vs hardware. It's real reverb within a real space.

@ Mysticman : The "Hall" I can understand, but I'm struggling to understand the purpose of the "Forest" - no reverb?... but a sense of pure delay without reflections???

Do tell.

PS. and BTW, how did you get access to such a lovely big Hall? Can I have one of those please.

Cheers.

Last edited by stixstudios; 2 weeks ago at 02:52 PM.. Reason: Clarification.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

You've never heard a forest reverb? Some of the best around (I'm not even joking).
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
You've never heard a forest reverb? Some of the best around (I'm not even joking).
Well, no. I've never really heard a Forest reverb.

The closest I've come to it would be playing an acoustic guitar around a campfire, but with too many other distractions and noises.

Last edited by stixstudios; 2 weeks ago at 05:07 PM.. Reason: Added further relevant information.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I guess 'woods hand clapping' is another hobby of mine that not many people share..
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo View Post
I guess 'woods hand clapping' is another hobby of mine that not many people share..
Not that there's anything wrong with that Robo but surely there is reverb from trees or the close hills/mountains etc.

What about in a 5km diameter Salt Lake? What reverb would you have then?

Last edited by stixstudios; 2 weeks ago at 05:38 PM.. Reason: Further info.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Trance music?

What I really really like is not just the tune, but also, that this post is not about reverb software plugins vs hardware. It's real reverb within a real space.

@ Mysticman : The "Hall" I can understand, but I'm struggling to understand the purpose of the "Forest" - no reverb?... but a sense of pure delay without reflections???

Do tell.

PS. and BTW, how did you get access to such a lovely big Hall? Can I have one of those please.

Cheers.
Thank you for your comment!

Oh yes it's not about software plugins vs hardware and so on... I use plugins and digital reverb too. I just like to experiment with sound.

I would say that the reverb in a forest has a very specific sound "color". It has very nice early reflections. This type of reverb really good for creating depth in your mixes. I recommend you to try that. I can't promise that you will like it but I can defenatly say that it's very educational.

As for the big hall I just have a friend who works there. You can try to record long reverb in a stairwell. Some of them sounds really intersting.

in a couple of days I will upload here some audio examples from this track. Dry sound + reverbs.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac
Thank you.

I'm, looking forward to that.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thank you.

I'm, looking forward to that.
As I promised here are some audio examples from this track.

By the way, to record even longer reverb tail in the hall I used simple technique. Increase speed and pitch of the audio files three times, after that playback and record sound, and then decrease the speed and pitch of the captured audio three times. Voila the tail of reverb is much longer.
But keep in mind this greatly affects high frequencies.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Time_audio examples.zip (10.79 MB, 3 views)
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

I'm a huge sucker for natural reverb and love finding ways to world-ize (for lack of a better term) synthetic tracks, so this itches multiple scratches for me.

I'd love more details. How far away did you place the microphones from the speaker in both scenarios? Were the mics placed next to each other for recording as they are in the forest picture of them? Are the dry tracks blended in? Did this experiment illustrate any lessons or bits of wisdom/advice you can share about recording and mixing in this way?

Thanks for sharing!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by dublave View Post
I'd love more details. How far away did you place the microphones from the speaker in both scenarios? Were the mics placed next to each other for recording as they are in the forest picture of them? Are the dry tracks blended in? Did this experiment illustrate any lessons or bits of wisdom/advice you can share about recording and mixing in this way?
Thank you for your interest!
I really love worldizing! And I do it very often.

In the forest the distance between the microphone and the speaker was about 10 meters. It's not far for recording in forest but it helps to capture early reflections. The microphone was turned away from the speaker.
In the hall the distance between the microphone and the speaker was about 30 meters. The microphone and the speaker were turned away from each other. I usually always capture sound this way because it helps to capture reflections but not the direct sound from speaker.
After that I just mixed all the sounds together. Dry+forest+hall.

Some advices.
For beter quality sound I suggest to use studio monitors. You can also use guitar amplifier but in this case, after recording, check the frequencies about 2000 hz. There can be a lot of of mid frequencies. But it depends on many things, just keep that in mind.

I also recommend to record the sound twice. For the first version record the sound as it is. For the second version make high pass about 400 Hz and low pass about 7000 Hz. Sometimes that really helps during mixing.

If you are going to record sound in forest I recommend you to play the sound loud enough to avoid capture background noise.

As for some lessons I noticed that high frequencies loose their attack and sounds much softer. You can see that in my audio examples, especially on Cymbal_1_Hall reverb.
But you can control that by turning mic and speaker at each other.
Digital reverberators doesn't recreate this natural effect. But it doesn't mean they sounds bad.

If you have any questions I'll try to help.
Thank you!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mysticman View Post
Thank you for your interest!
I really love worldizing! And I do it very often.

In the forest the distance between the microphone and the speaker was about 10 meters. It's not far for recording in forest but it helps to capture early reflections. The microphone was turned away from the speaker.
In the hall the distance between the microphone and the speaker was about 30 meters. The microphone and the speaker were turned away from each other. I usually always capture sound this way because it helps to capture reflections but not the direct sound from speaker.
After that I just mixed all the sounds together. Dry+forest+hall.

Some advices.
For beter quality sound I suggest to use studio monitors. You can also use guitar amplifier but in this case, after recording, check the frequencies about 2000 hz. There can be a lot of of mid frequencies. But it depends on many things, just keep that in mind.

I also recommend to record the sound twice. For the first version record the sound as it is. For the second version make high pass about 400 Hz and low pass about 7000 Hz. Sometimes that really helps during mixing.

If you are going to record sound in forest I recommend you to play the sound loud enough to avoid capture background noise.

As for some lessons I noticed that high frequencies loose their attack and sounds much softer. You can see that in my audio examples, especially on Cymbal_1_Hall reverb.
But you can control that by turning mic and speaker at each other.
Digital reverberators doesn't recreate this natural effect. But it doesn't mean they sounds bad.

If you have any questions I'll try to help.
Thank you!
Thank you! Very helpful.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search