The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mix / Master Check
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Mix / Master Check

Hope this is the right thread. I have a song I have been working on for a while, with a version on spotify already, but I wanted a better mix. Im trying to master it the best I can on my monitors and room. It is still at the phase where its down to 5 or 6 stems, so I can make slight changes. Ill try to post it below, thanks.
Attached Files

NO AMEN FINAL 3.mp3 (10.80 MB, 261 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey man, very cool overall, the guitars and vocals sound nice and vibe well together, the drums don't though unfortunately. I would dirty them up to get them more real and vibey sounding, some sat and comp, also lose some of the piercing high-mids, bring them up in the mix, and maybe slightly dirty up the whole mix to get it to gel in a swampy way befitting the tune.

Again - very cool overall, I like this kind of stuff and I dig the tune and overall vibe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Thanks for the reply. Been struggling with the snares being piercing, I keep dropping around 5k range, but then the beat disappears a little.
Do you know which area is doing that?
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Actually, to me it's the cymbals more than the snare, I would try to tame some of that upper mid on them. The snare is not too bright. But the kit as a whole could use more cohesion and realism. Maybe try pulling down a little 4-5-6k or thereabout on the cymbals. And I think I hear a room verb, at least on the snare, but maybe just send the whole kit as one to a natural sounding mellow room verb. But more than anything, once you like the tones, try some fat dirt on the whole drum bus, blended in a little, and some drum bus comp. Then once they are sounding great, try a little more light dirt and comp on your whole mix. This kind of music can really benefit from some organic vibe.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Yeah sorry I meant "cymbals". Been a rough road with those since its an old mix, and I dont have the original tracks anymore. Took down some high end especially on drums with some hard saturation. Ran all the stems thru harrison mixbus, with heavy tape saturation. I think I fixed it. Thanks for the insight.
Attached Files

NO AMEN FINAL 4.mp3 (10.78 MB, 160 views)

Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I like the dirtier vibe! The drums might have gotten a little phasey/comb-filtery; maybe try half as much of whatever you did? or even a quarter of it.

But overall the dirtier direction sounds a little cooler and more fitting!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

Think I got it pretty close. I know a dude who can master it for $50 if you guys think its needed. I added an additional track for the bridge lead to bring it out a little. Thanx again.

Not sure if mp3 attached
Attached Files

NO AMEN FINAL.mp3 (9.77 MB, 76 views)

Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Yeah man I think you hit the right balance that time, the cymbal dynamics are way more controlled and they're not so bright, but more natural than the second one. I think it really hangs together now.
Old 1 week ago
The drums seem very distant and weak, and the whole mix is very thin sounding overall. Bringing up the drums and making them a bit more dry will help get some punch into the track. Generally speaking I think there is too much reverb, though that's somewhat subjective.

I would suggest you compare your mix closely with some reference tracks that are in a similar style. Pull those tracks right into your session so you can quickly A/B
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
Use an Eq to bring out the drums they seem like theyve disappeared. definately go for the mastering and get him/ her to tell you how they improved it.

beautiful music. nice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search