The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Some advice on my mix?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Some advice on my mix?

Hey guys.. I've been doing overdubs for years and have recently really dove deep into mixing/mastering lately as alot of the clients I record for ask if I could mix their songs. I feel like my ear is there but I can't get that super 3d sound ...which I know will come with time but I feel I could learn faster having guys on here who can really make phenomenal mixes critique my work.

This is a song I done for a guy doing demos for his publishing company. I played everything on this track except acoustic guitars and drums. The vocals are him...and the drums I programmed with Superior Drummer.

I feel like I'm lacking clarity in the low mids (probably due to my room acoustics ..I need more bass traps in my room). As well as minor volume automations and possibly EQ automations ect.

Any advice would be welcome!

Here's the track..

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yjwl3le37z...ster2.wav?dl=0
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I'm listening on a pair of pretty crappy Bose noise cancelling headphones that have a hyped low end, and I don't hear any clarity issues at all. It sounds awesome actually- great work!

The drums sound a bit plastic, but I'm not sure how to fix it. A more natural snare sample? Layering with a less processed snare? You could retain more body in the snare without losing clarity I think (e.g. around 200 Hz or so). That's nitpicking really though. It sounds awesome.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

For me it sounds pretty good! nice job!
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks fellas.. I'm open to any criticism. And the drums do have a plastic sound now that you mention it. But that's what I get for programming them .. I think alot of that sound has to do with all the nuances of having a real drummer on the track. I'll take your advice and work on putting some body in the snare.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

I use EZ drummer 2 almost exclusively, so I'm particularly sensitive to drum issues. Programming is definitely part of it, but it's not bad on your mix. In fact, you also don't want to overdo the body, since you will affect the amazing clarity you have already achieved. So feel free to ignore me if you like :-D

Small tweaks are probably the answer.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Thanks mj, the devil is in the details expecially with drums. It's insanely time consuming programming them but I'm finding short cuts here and there.

My biggest problem has been getting vocals to sit right. I'm finding myself doing volume automations after I have put a few compressors on and it's sitting pretty well.. I will go in and fine tune parts that annoy me. I'm sure everyone has their own way of doing things.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search